“Quirky, dark, arty, busy.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gramercy Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Gramercy Park Hotel to your Saves list
Gramercy Park Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10010 (Gramercy Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #29 of 453 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Quirky, dark, arty, busy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is very smart, smooth and sophisticated. Also very dark. I always say that the darker the lobby, the trendier the hotel. This is true of the Gramercy Park Hotel, although the design is more old school (roaring twenties) than anything you might expect at, say, the Standard. That said there are some amazing contemporary paintings dotted around the ground floor lobby and bar, such as Damien Hurst and Warhol. Quite impressive!

There is one more point to make regarding the said darkness, however. On arrival it seems that the outer brickwork is being inspected and so there was a scaffolding construction around the building, with translucent sheeting. This covered up all the windows somewhat, making the atmosphere perhaps a little more gloomy than intended by the interior designers.

The room was very nice, beautiful furniture. Air conditioning unit tended to become noisy at times, but only for a short while. Breakfast was served on the dining table in room (no dining room downstairs). Bathroom was very smart, with cool contemporary lighting, traditional bath and fittings. All very smart.

The facilities at the hotel appeared somewhat limited. There was a cafe/eatery, which seemed rowdy, which we didn't use. We had a drink in the bar downstairs around mid afternoon, having been turned away from the top floor bar owning to a private event. Returning again around 7pm we found both the lobby and the bar packed with (seemingly) non-residents. We were ready to walk out to find a drink elsewhere when luckily two seats at the bar became free. Not impressed that residents have such difficulty in using the hotel facilities like that. Nevertheless the experience, once seated, was enjoyable.

Overall I like the hotel, but I get the impression that guests are a secondary concern to private events and non-residents. Too many people, so not really a quiet hideaway style. It's a boutique-style hotel, I think. Just too busy.

Quirky, modern-traditional fusion. I would return, perhaps once the outer covering has been removed and the top floor bar is open for use.

Room Tip: We booked through American Express Platinum service and received a $100 voucher, free wifi and late...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel E, Chelsea Cox - Director of Front of House Operations at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Serafin2013 - Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly review your stay. We certainly appreciate all of your feedback. I'm thrilled to hear you appreciated the artwork, there really is no other hotel in NYC like Gramercy that couples the Renaissance ambiance with world renown artwork. Julian Schnabel had a specific vision for the hotel and we are pleased to hear when our guests truly acknowledge the beauty we have under our roof. I understand the scaffolding was not what you were expecting. While we undergo the city mandated Local Law 11 inspection of the building, we trust that it does not completely take away from all that we have to offer at Gramercy. In regards to Maialino, it certainly is a busy and sought after restaurant, one of the top in the city! Our concierge team is happy to help with reservations prior to arrival, we do recommend booking Maialino a month in advance if possible. Our beautiful terrace is actually only for private events. However, I am happy to arrange a tour of the space if you would like to see or perhaps even a room service meal or a glass of champagne on the terrace during your next stay. Please feel free to reach out to me directly. Please know that our guests are certainly not secondary, we have several outlets of the hotel that we would love for all of our guests to enjoy. I am happy to be your point of contact during your next stay so that you can experience all of the lovely parts of Gramercy. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Hotel located across the street from a park in quiet neighborhood; room is small but has all of the essentials; large shower/tub in the bathroom but no counter space; outlets are limited to bathroom and desk area so ok if you don't mind charging your phone in the bathroom while charging your computer from the desk. Staff very friendly and hotel and rooms are very clean. Overall nice experience for the price.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Daniel E, Directof of Front of House Operations - Chelsea Cox at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hi JBW66, thank you for your feedback, I hope you received my email as well. I do apologize again for the inconvenience with the outlets. We have completed the project of adding bedside outlets to all of our rooms, so please know that on your next visit it will be much easier to charge your devices. We do have several different room types as well if you'd like to explore other options, I am happy to assist. I'm so glad to hear that the staff were friendly, we truly love what we do here at Gramercy and I'm glad that shines through. I look forward to personally welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The Gramercy Park Hotel is the best hotel I've stayed at in NYC and I've stayed at at least 4 others.

The location was awesome and I loved that it was away from the busyness of Tourist Attractions.

And the Gramercy Park! This private park is beautiful and so peaceful amongst the busy city. We told the gentlemen working that we wanted to go the park, he walked us to the park, unlocked the door and locked us in! We walk and sat for a while, listening to the birds, we watched the squirrels climb up the trees, and just sat in silence. So calming to do! All we had to do is call him when we were ready to leave!

The staff was very polite and accommodating!

Next time we stay which will be in October for our wedding, we will make time to ride the super chic gold GPH bicycles!

I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a 5 star experience and wants to see a different side of the city!

• Stayed August 2014
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you so much Laura....you are so kind in your description of your experience with us. Gramercy is truly in its own bubble, amongst the high energy that is New York City! Escaping into the Park...how great is that! I too find myself taking walks in there as a nice retreat from the day....it truly is calming...the birds, flowers, squirrels....so peaceful. Looking forward to welcome you back in October. Please reach out to me directly should you need assistance in securing your accommodations so that I may personally ensure you are well taken care of.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My wife and I had a couple of days planned in NY in August and stayed at GMP. Incredible service from the moment we arrived. Had booked quite a large suite, but were upgraded to one of their largest suites on arrival by Jason, the reception manager, who also sent a complementary bottle of champagne that evening.

Unlike so many trendy hotels in NYC or elsewhere, GMP does not fall in the trap of being too cool for its own good. Quite the opposite. It is clearly focused on longevity and operates at the level of service of the well known NYC palaces, but without the stiffness. Staff know how to mix a casual and trendy vibe and efficiency.

We had a particularly spectacular example of this level of service. We stopped at GMP on our way to a friend's holiday house and wanted to give him a present. That friend loves bourbon and we wanted to try to find him a rare bottle - specifically, a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. These are pretty impossible to find in NYC. It turns out only 8 had apparently been delivered to Manhattan this year and no liquor store had any left. The nothing-to-fear-concierges at GMP, Franziska and Joy, made it their mission to find me a bottle. They called store after store after store across the various NY boroughs, and finally found a small local liquor store in Brooklyn that happened to have a bottle. They went on to arrange for us to pick it up. Amazing service.

Last but not least, I like the hotel for its location. As central as can be, but in a quiet part of midtown with its beautiful and quiet leafy streets and Gramercy Park itself, which you should go and enjoy when you visit.

Congrats to the team at GMP.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Well....Mission Impossible is possible here at Gramercy! You present the challenge and we will make it our duty to find the solution! I was certainly pleased to hear that we were able to secure the worlds most sought after Bourbon, Pappy Van Winkle! You have now peaked my interests into securing a bottle for myself ;) Hope it is as good as the critics say it is! Looking forward to welcome you back soon and be charged with another impossible feat! Enjoy the Bourbon!

Daniel Entenberg
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had such a great experience here. The quality, the cleanliness, everything about it was wonderful. Of all the hotels I have stayed in or visited in NYC, this is by far the best. Highly recommended for couples.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Daniel E, Director of Front of House Operations - Chelsea Cox at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Sonia, THANK YOU for the rave review! We know you have countless choices when visiting NYC, so to know that you will keep coming back to us time and again is beyond satisfying. The staff at Gramercy truly takes pride in everything they do from the service to the cleanliness. Can't wait to welcome you back soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

As a life long New Yorker, I have stayed in various NYC properties over the last several decades. My visits to the Gramercy are perfect. The staff let me check in at 9:30 am this week. The rooms are big, comfy and simply like a home away from home. The staff is nice and accommodating. They hare helpful (concierge was really helping with a bunch of my stupid questions this week) and for a hipster type place, it is neither pretentious nor is it stand offish. Will always stay here in future trips back home.

Room Tip: never had a bad room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We are always focused on delivering a great experience, but coming from a native New Yorker means a lot! You've seen it all so to now be your go to spot here in the city, really brings it home for us! Regarding the team....you are absolutely right....sure the Gramercy is an "It" place, but rest assured....you will receive personalized and memorable service when you stay with us, as that is what brings our loyal guests back, time and time again.

sharon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We have stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel three times now over the past 2 years. The location is perfect for a variety of reasons...one mainly being the beautiful park that abuts the hotel and all the great restaurants and shopping in the area.
The front desk staff was extremely friendly and welcomed us back upon check in. The great surprise was a totally unexpected upgrade on our suite, which started our trip off just right!
When asked which paper I would prefer each morning, I asked if the Boston Globe would be available. Without hesitation the young woman at the front desk said to me,"We can make that happen." The next morning the Boston Globe, printed straight off of the computer on newspaper sized paper and then stapled together, was available at our door for my husband to check on his beloved Boston sports teams. This attention to the needs of the guests was above and beyond in our book.
The housekeeping staff was also very attentive and answered all of our needs from extra towels, to making up the sleep sofa at a moments notice.
The park view suite that we were upgraded to had plenty of space for my husband and myself and our grown daughter. In the living area the sofa pulled out to a queen bed and is separated from the king bedroom by glass french doors and heavy red velvet curtains. There is only one bathroom, but it is a good size and worked fine for the three of us.
The living area and the bedroom each have a large flat screen tv. There is also a well stocked mini bar, but as is typical of most hotel mini bars, it can get pricey. Just be prepared if you have small kids who might want a snack.
If you find yourself in NYC and are looking for a boutique hotel that definitely puts its guests first, then the Gramercy Park Hotel is your answer.

Room Tip: Try to book a room that overlooks the park and has a lot of windows.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Wow! Thank you Lori, we are truly humbled by your wonderful feedback about the property. Gramercy is a special place....its history, art, private park access and more! What really brings the property to life are the team members dedicated to creating personalized experiences for our guests. I was so pleased to have connected with you and hear about your wonderful time with us. When guests leave as happy as you have, then we have done what we sought out to do....create memories! Please keep in touch and let me know when your travels bring you back for another weekend here at Gramercy.

Daniel Entenberg

Been to Gramercy Park Hotel? Share your experiences!