“A very happy birthday....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gramercy Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Gramercy Park Hotel to your Saves list
Gramercy Park Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10010 (Gramercy Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #29 of 453 Hotels in New York City
York, Pennsylvania
“A very happy birthday....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

To celebrate my wife's birthday, we stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel to see our friend Brian Newman play. The hotel service staff helped make my wife's birthday a surprise by assisting with a having a cake and flowers delivered and also upgrading our room for the special occasion and making our overall stay incredible. I wish we had more time and $$ to stay additional nights at the hotel. Brian's show was awesome, as expected, and the hotel stay was incredible. I highly recommend GPH!! We are hoping to make another visit this summer to enjoy the hotel and the Gramercy Park area again! Thanks again GPH!!

-Scott Shippy

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hello Scott - thank you so much for taking the time to share your birthday experience here at Gramercy! We are truly focused on delivering a memorable experience, especially when it comes to special occasions. Surprise and delight, that is just what we do here at Gramercy. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cake we organized for you. Looking forward to welcome you back for another special occasion.

Daniel Entenberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Love the location of the Gramercy Park Hotel. Amazing restaurant and bar right off lobby. Friendly service. Great shower pressure- I mean THE best shower pressure! They should market that feature alone. However I found the room to be run down and felt a little worn and past its prime. Bordering dingy. In trying to keep with the feel of an era gone bye they have kept their velour couches, headboards and chairs about a decode longer than they should. Time to change out the furniture in the rooms or recover with some new threads. However I stayed there twice in the last month over the Ritz because I wanted something more "New York City-esk". And the Gramercy hits that mark.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hello BM - Thank you for rating your recent experience here at Gramercy. So pleased to hear that the shower was to your liking....Obviously, there's nothing like an amazing shower, which we feel we deliver in our wonderful bathrooms. The location....well, doesn't get much better than Gramercy! With regards to the Room Design, I am sorry to hear that you felt it was past its time. Academy award Winning Artist and Designer Julian Schnabel put the bohemian styled design of Gramercy as timeless. We actually recover all the existing furniture quite regularly, this is why you do not see the furniture changing, but the fabrics still looking just as good as they did the when the property opened in 2006. I mean how can one get rid of the custom designed Martin Bass club chairs in our rooms....Each and every chair was actually set a flame to give the frame a black or charred look making each and every chair one of a kind....Truly a Gramercy Favorite!
Gramercy is one of those places, that when you wake up in morning, you just know where you are.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

And we're back in herrrrrrre! the GpH is in its best and finest groove ever. we had a lot of work going for the draft week and there were a lot of people in town. when you tell someone you're at gph and meet me at gph, the reaction is whaaaaat, my favorite oh face. I don't review hotels because i don't really care about them when i leave but this is my second home. best crew from the front desk to the rose bar to all over the building is beautiful. I saw some confused cat gave a 2/5 but this is someone who probably doesnt know how to be happy. Hes the guy that complains about the pickles being to pickley. My suggestion is when you walk in go to that happy place and share the love. don't be a grump be magnetic and only be relevant about the good and or the bad. So i'm glad that there is no relevant bad, just some grumps. 3Chainz wishes gph and all people happy and blessed travels and live big and right - as i always say, gph is the place to be. - 3CZ

Room Tip: Park view is inspirational. write music.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you Mr. 3CHainz.....Your feedback is truly original, I can't agree with you more....Being Happy is so important....As Pharell would say "Cause I'm Happy....Clap along, if you feel, etc, etc," Love the song by the way.
We are so pleased to have such a loyal fan in you here at Gramercy. The property is special and who wouldn't want to hang out at GPH and Rose Bar, the place to be!!
Looking forward to welcome you back soon and please do take the time to say hello, I would truly welcome the opportunity to meet you in person.

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is my 3rd and final stay at the Gramercy. I will never stay here again. They're overpriced ($839 per night) and the few redeeming features they once had, are no more. The Terrace was a wonderful breakfast spot but has been closed down and the fitness center used to be a spacious room with views of Lexington and the park, but has now been shoved into a tiny room at the end of the corridor with no windows to make room for ugly conference rooms. What's more, when the conference rooms are being used (as they were on the days I was there), you have to pass people in the narrow corridor in your sweaty gym gear while they're dressed in suits and ties. A very uncomfortable experience for both parties. I would be completely embarrassed to host a conference in one of their 'Park' rooms. I had problems with the plumbing on arrival which took 7 complaints, 4 days and me threatening to leave for them to fix. What's more, the thick red velvet curtains, baroque styling the dim lighting which was once elegant, I now suspect is just hiding the dirt and age of the place. Finally, the room service food is overpriced and oily and the art is no longer really a feature since the Terrace is closed. Stay away.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello DEK649 - Thank you for reaching out and articulating your experience. While we appreciate you giving the property another shot, I am sorry to hear that it fell below your expectations. Having been 2 years since your previous visit, some aspects of the property have indeed been enhanced and outlined on our website, although I am sorry to hear it was not to your liking.

Evaluating your 2012 review, you mentioned about the old ratty cardio equipment in the fitness center. While the New Room is indeed a bit smaller, the amount of cardio pieces remains the same and we were excited to install Brand new, Life Fitness Top of the line equipment, which I hope you found to your liking. With regards to the “Window-less” room, well in about 48 hours, the windows will be installed in the fitness center along with a door to an outside Courtyard. This will be great for indoor/outdoor stretching and yoga….sorry the window was not yet installed for your current stay, the weather has been rather unpredictable lately, but we are super excited about its installation this week.

Regarding the Terrace…..we were excited to announce the space transitioning to a private event venue in September of 2013. While we do not offer a la carte service on the Terrace, we always welcome guests to enjoy the space when there are no events running.

I will certainly look into the quality of your in room dining experience, as we generally receive rave reviews about the food offering as it is curated by Danny Meyer. From a price point perspective, In Room Dining is traditionally a higher cost than your typical restaurant table. While it does not always make the most sense, it is a higher cost to facilitate In Room Dining therefore majority of hotels price it higher than their restaurants. That being said, the quality should be there so I will certainly look into it.
Lastly, With regards to the plumbing issue, of course things happen….although the response time to get it repaired should be immediate and for that I am truly sorry. Having to ask time and time again is not acceptable. I will be following up personally with our engineering team to investigate what occurred.
You also mentioned about the design as it relates to the Red Curtains, bohemian design and dim lighting. Well this aspect of Gramercy is what makes Gramercy the unique product it is. Yes they are the same curtains, although they are steamed weekly and our cleaning team has a strong attention to detail. The style and design is timeless which was the vision of the Artisan who designed the property, Academy award Winner Julian Schnabel. Certainly a special design and not for everyone, which is OK.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Front desk and bell desk staff is very unhelpful. As we were checking out of the hotel, the bell staff looked away and never offered to help with luggage. After staying there for two nights, we were shocked by their lack of service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent feedback about your experience this past weekend. It was truly a pleasure having you and your family with us this past weekend. I know the entire team worked extremely hard to ensure you had a wonderful reception on the Terrace Saturday Night. All your guests seemed to have had a wonderful time along with your family and the guests of honor. It was unfortunate to have the successful event over shadowed upon departure. I assure you our guest attendants are as focused as they can be interacting with each and every guest upon departure. Sunday Mornings are generally a high traffic day of outbound guests and we staff additional attendants to provide the elevated service our guests have come to expect. Clearly there may have been a mis understanding or the attendant could have been helping another guest departing as we focus our training on assisting and proactively reacting to the needs of our guests. I do know that one of our attendants was assisting someone in your party to load large Cherry Blossom trees into your vehicle, so I apologize if the others were tied up at the moment. Rest Assured, we have addressed the concern you raised internally. Should your travels bring you back to New York again, please reach out so that I may ensure you are well taken care of. I wish you and your family nothing but health and happiness in celebration of the wonderful unity your families embarked on.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I stayed here for the first time for a week in May. The size of the hotel makes it feel like a boutique rather than a mega chain. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is brilliant. Residents of the hotel get access to the private Gramercy Park. The price was good value for what we paid. I suggest booking a junior suite as the extra room makes you feel like you are living in an apartment. It also has a great Italian restaurant on the ground floor and a great roof terrace.

Room Tip: Try and book a junior suite. Don't miss visiting Gramercy Park during your stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
The property is certainly boutique at only 185 rooms....so the sense of privacy is perfect for each and everyone of our guests. Park Access, of course! Just as you shared our hotel guests receive direct access to the only private park here in New York City! Please do keep in touch and let me know when your travels bring you back to New York City, as it would be a pleasure to look after you again for another great stay.

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

You can't beat the five-star location, on a cul de sac, over-looking the park by the same name and close to everything. The area is quiet, peaceful area with history, and so excellent for a stroll.
That said, I didn't stay for the entire seven nights I'd booked online. Unlike similar category hotels - like the Bowery Hotel - I didn't feel Gramercy offered the value I had hoped for.
The rooms are small and painted a dark ominous color green with occasional splashes of deep crimson. Might be cozy during winter months but gloomy for spring when I was there. Bathrooms are small. Disappointingly, the bathrooms for the larger rooms didn't even have bath tubs.
The hotel did give me a $50 room service voucher to use each day. Thank heaven as it was outrageously expensive; a bowl of lightly fried pickles (however delicious was basically bar food) and a salmon steak cost a total of $70 - and that didn't include wine.
Definitely try to get a room over-looking the park but that will cost you. It didn't help that my room looked onto Lexington avenue, which could be worse, but for that I felt it was over-priced. I hate it when I pay a fortune for what turns out to be a mediocre room and then have to dole out even more to get the kind of room I want.
The lobby is inviting and interesting (strange industrial-size wooden beams don't seem to match the rest of the grand decor), in-hotel restaurants not bad, and the staff incredibly friendly and accommodating.
However I don't think I'd stay there again unless I can't find last minute accommodation, as was case when I stayed there.

Room Tip: If you are prepared to pay be sure to get a room over-looking Gramercy Park
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to articulate your recent experience with us. My sincerest apologies your did not find the property to your liking. For some guests, the design of the property May not be to their liking, which is ok. Gramercy is truly unique in Design. The design actually was done by Academy Awarding Winning Designer, Julian Schnabel. Every aspect of the property was developed by a true artist's hand....There are many hotels that have been designed by fabulous design firms, but few to none developed by a true artist. The large wooden beams you mentioned, are actually reclaimed wooden beams from American Farmhouses in the early 1900's. With regards to the color scheme of the property....well what is interesting about this is that the hues which you see in the rooms, including the Jade you described in your room are derived from The "Canigiani Holy Famil" painting by Raffaello “Raphael” Sanzio. Julian Schnabel working closely with a local paint shop to replicate those colors which drove his inspiration for the property.
With regards to your In Room Dining Pricing, my apologies that you found it to be over priced. We feel that the menu is priced consistently to market, please do note that your $70 price included all taxes and gratuity. Glad you liked the Fried Pickles. Its actually a southern inspired dish which our Chef put on the menu in an effort to create a unique and customized In Room Dining Experience, unlike any other Hotel In Room Offering.
Sorry you did not find your room spacious, although we do offer a variety of options at the property and take the time to list their square footage and layout on or website.
When your travels bring you back to New York in the near future, please reach out to me directly so that I may ensure you are well taken care of.

Daniel Entenberg

Been to Gramercy Park Hotel? Share your experiences!