“Henrik A” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gramercy Park Hotel

You added Gramercy Park Hotel to your Saves list
Gramercy Park Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10010 (Gramercy Park)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #59 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Henrik A”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Just great feeling, will for sure return here, I was here both in business and with my family and it was a perfect match. If something would be different taken care of is the breakfast which is only servered in the room, it can sounds good but for a family its much better to eat outside the room.
However GPH is just perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms at Gramercy Park is important choice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello Henrik - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were so happy to hear about your outstanding experience. Gramercy truly is that great mix of business and pleasure. I see that you enjoyed breakfast via In Room Dining, the egg sandwich is my favorite! We actually also have a restaurant on site as well. I know you mentioned there was not, perhaps you may have been mistaken with another property? Maialino, our 3 meal a day venue, is amazing. The is out of this world! In fact their breakfast is voted "Top 5" in New York city! Looking forward to welcome you back to the property very soon.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were in NYC for one night to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We picked GPH because my husband had just finished a book in which the main character (a prominent drug dealer in the 1970s!!) stayed at the hotel and we knew it had been renovated and was supposed to be nice. Our expectations were exceeded. The staff was amazing. Particularly Jose and Steve at the restaurant bar. They were warm, welcoming and when we came back after dinner they remembered us and made us want to come back again! The hotel sent a bottle of champagne (gratis) to our room that we received when we came back from dinner. It is so rare to see a hotel go out of their way to do something nice and not charge you for it. Maybe I'm jaded but I was surprised. The room was clean and well appointed. The common areas were fantastic and where else can you get a key to Gramercy Park?! CJ, the doorman walked us over to the park and came promptly when we were done walking around. Great visit and next time we are in NYC, we will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 17th floor, interior room. It was quiet. I am sure the rooms with park views are...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah H
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hello Sarah! Happy Anniversary again!! We were truly pleased that you choose to spend such a special moment in your lives with us here at Gramercy. We love to celebrate with you so I am glad that you not only enjoyed but were surprised with the treat and note that we sent up for you. What really brings Gramercy to life day in and day out are the people that work here....team members like Jose, Steve and CJ love taking care of our guests just as you so shared....and of course, where else can you stay in New York that garners access into the only private park in NYC......well that would be Gramercy! Looking forward to welcome you back again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed at the Gramercy Park on a recent business trip. So much about this individual styled hotel is so right, however the fact that they insist on charging $16 per day for wifi access left me with a bad taste in my mouth. This is New York in 2014, wifi has to be a hygiene factor for a hotel at this price point.

Focusing in the positive, the styling of the reception/ bar on the ground floor is very cool. Stone and crushed red velvet made for a medical castle feel. The rooms are also a lot of fun, relatively large for NYC hotel rooms, my room on the 16th floor was very comfortable, nice and dark at night and fairly quiet. But did I mentioned the fact I had to buy wifi access?

Overall, an inserting place to stay but please see sense on the wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Richard S
Hello Richard S - Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor, we truly value our guests feedback. I was pleased to hear of your enjoyment of the property, it truly is unique and special to New York! Regarding Wifi, I am very sorry that it left a bad taste in your mouth. Hearing the Voice of our customers, we found that they would rather have the base room rate with no inclusions built into it, as the properties that do offer internet do....they basically build it into their rate. For those seeking that type of rate structure, we have developed a package, bookable on our website that includes wifi with it. Comparing Gramercy to a majority of luxury properties in New York city, it is pretty consistent to Wifi being charged. It truly still remains a norm, charging for the service in metropolitan cities. As an alternative we do offer a complimentary service in certain areas of the building for guest use.
Looking forward to welcome you back to Gramercy Very soon. Should you need assistance in booking one of our packages including internet service, feel free to reach out to me directly, I am at your service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I loved the gramercy park hotel. Friendly staff, comfy beds, great location in the quiet of gramercy park near union square. I stayed two nights with my parents. We booked two queen rooms. Generally the queen rooms overlook the courtyard. I requested a room overlooking the park for my parents as it was a special birthday treat for my mother. Much to my parents delight they had a fab room overlooking the park. The Italian restaurant is excellent as well. Only negative, hard to read the numbers in the elevator due to the dim lighting. Love this hotel.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Mariaoconnnor
So pleased to hear you and your parents had such a wonderful time at the Hotel. We LOVE curating special occasions, having your parents experience the view that is Gramercy Park was a sure way to surprise and delight them! Can't wait to welcome you and the family back again for another outstanding Gramercy experience.

Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

we had an amazing time at the GPH, The cocktails at the rose bar are just to good you cant have just one.
All the staff were very helpful and friendly. The room and the surprise cake were so lovely it really help to make our wedding that bit more special.
Our family and friends that came up to our room said that they would love to stay there if they came back to New York. Its very special place there and we would love to come back, the smell of the scented were intoxicating and cant wait for our next trip back

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jools0001
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Wow! Thanks for the great feedback....I tend to have the same problem at Rose Bar, 1 cocktail is never enough, they are absolutely delicious! SO pleased that you enjoyed the surprise we sent up for you....always great to have that WOW moment.
Please do keep in touch and don't forget to grab one of our candles on your next visit....its the easiest way to take Gramercy home with you....they literally take you back!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

This Hotel is my favorite hotel in NYC. With such a high amount of turnover and competition in Manhattan, accomplishing what Gramercy Park Hotel has is no small feat! Everything about this place is sublime! It truly is an oasis and refuge in such a busy, and bustling city! From the moment you check in until the minute you leave the service is unparalleled. Every detail, from the bathrooms, to the room service, to the linens on the bed is met with such a wonderful understanding of what a discerning traveler desires. The restaurant and bars in the hotel are first rate and the Rose Bar is especially chic! If I ever have a choice where I stay in NYC this is my place! For NYC it is such a quiet hotel with very restful rooms. You won't be disappointed in the Gramercy Park Hotel!

Room Tip: The Suites are definitely worth the extra money!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeremy H
Daniel E, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Hi Jeremy! Talk about a perfect stay! Unparalled service, quiet rooms, and of course the Rose Bar are all top reasons to stay and keep coming back to Gramercy. We'll certainly share your feedback with the team as reviews like these are what keeps the team motivated to continue performing at such a high level. We look forward to welcoming you back to Gramercy soon!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights in April in a Lexington King. Our room was beautiful.

I chose the Gramercy Park hotel for 2 reasons: Maialino restaurant and private Gramercy park access.

Overview
This hotel has a rich history plus the interiors (delightfully unique) were designed by artist Julian Schnabel. This hotel is filled with so many beautiful details...Venetian chandelier, original artworks everywhere, coffered ceiling made from repurposed Cypress wood. I love the way the hotel smells; they burn a candle with a woodsy scent made especially for the hotel by Le Labo. You can visit the gated Gramercy Park by asking the doorman to walk you over there (magnolia trees were in bloom).

Our Room
Our room (1509) was really large, about 300 sq. ft., and included a sitting area with a red velvet sofa and large leather table. The 3 windows had warm red velvet drapes, dark wood Venetian blinds AND blackout shades. Every detail in the room was a pleasure to look at. My favorites were the stunning red velvet headboard with nailhead and tapestry detailing and the dark pink and cream area rug.

Some of the Reasons We Really Enjoyed Our Stay
Super friendly staff (our first impression was that everyone was happy), great bath products (the Aesop citrus rind lotion smelled fabulous), plush robe and slippers, well functioning in-room temperature control, soft bed linens and good feather pillows, immaculate housekeeping, really fast email response from the reservations department, and our room request was honored.

Location
The neighborhood is quiet and feels very safe. It is about a 4 block walk to the trains N and R (will take you to Central Park). There is a grocery store and CVS pharmacy a couple of blocks away. It is about a $10 ride to the theatre area. Easy walk to Madison Square Park.

Regarding Maialino
Fantastic Roman cuisine. Most likely you will need reservations well in advance. Our favorite items were: brioche roll with caramelized brown sugar topping at breakfast and the salumi misti (includes house made mortadella) and pasta Bolognese (they add cream to the ragu).

In Comparison
I tend to like hotels listed on the Mr. and Mrs. Smith website. Over the past few years, I have stayed at the Bowery, Nomad, Marlton, and Mark. Overall, I like Gramercy Park the best because the lobby and rooms have a luxe bohemian vibe and the staff made us feel really welcome.

Note
Initially I was hesitant to book this hotel because on the website the rooms looked overly colorful and I wasn't sure how I would feel in a room with so much red. As it turned out, the color in the room was not overwhelming, the walls are painted blue 5/6 of the way up and then they are white, as is the ceiling. The white combined with the dark hardwood floors balanced out all of the color. Plus, much of the red is not a true red but a warm red/dark pink.

Drawbacks
No window in bathroom. Room is showing signs of wear and tear (crumbling plaster around window). Shower head and water pressure are not great. Limited view. Meager bath towels.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor and room with sofa.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such thorough feedback for us and other travelers. There's really nothing like strolling through Gramercy Park in full bloom. Between Le Labo and Aesop we have the best smelling and quality products in NYC, glad you enjoyed them both. Every detail of the aesthetic in the rooms were carefully thought out, it's truly is a pleasure to represent Julian Schanbel's design here at Gramercy. Sounds like you were also able to enjoy a couple of different parts of the extensive menu in Maialino, makes my mouth water reading it. Thank you also for bringing the issues in the bathroom to our attention, our team is diligently working on improving these opportunities as we speak. I look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to Gramercy soon.