“Terrace Restaurant in Gramercy Park Hotel -- AMAZING food and service!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gramercy Park Hotel

You added Gramercy Park Hotel to your Saves list
Gramercy Park Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10010 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #31 of 454 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Terrace Restaurant in Gramercy Park Hotel -- AMAZING food and service!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently organized a surprise birthday brunch for my husband at the Terrace Restaurant in the Gramercy Park Hotel and it was such a wonderful experience that I just had to spread the word. Starting with our events planner, Michelle Condon who was incredibly responsive, professional, friendly and detailed-oriented. I knew I was in good hands with her leading the charge and didn't have to worry about a thing. She figured out every last important detail from who would be alerting the restaurant of our arrival to the table set-up. She worked hard with the Chef to coordinate the menu and birthday cake -- and every last bite was delicious. One MUST have the bread pudding/french toast when you're there for brunch. All our guests were delighted with the outstanding service and how beautifully set-up the venue was. Special shout-out to the General Manager, Tyler and the Banquet Captain, Ivan who went out of their way to make sure everything went smoothly and all guests were well taken care of. Perfect place if you're thinking about hosting a party or gathering. I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Good afternoon,

Thank you for the 5 star review! Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your event at Gramercy Terrace. We are thrilled that our staff and service exceeded your expectations.

Elizabeth Mao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Los Gatos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is my second visit to this hotel. My recent visit in August was far better than the first, the previous October. Perhaps visiting in August when things are quiet is more my style, rather than the high energy party scene in October. Also, on the recent visit, my room was really fabulous.
The most striking thing about this hotel is the lobby area. It is cavernous and dramatic, sort of an old world gothic style sprinkled with fun modern art, lots of red velvet and some quirky lights and furniture. Attached to the lobby is a huge bar with more edgy opulence. We visited the bar early in the evening when there were no crowds and my son and I played pool surrounded by amazing art. The service was friendly and the entire experience fun and unpretentious.
On the other side of the lobby is Maialino. What a joy it is to walk across the lobby and have an extraordinary italian dinner with terrific service. They also do a great breakfast.
I have seen quite a few rooms at this hotel--during my first stay I moved around quite a bit due to some plumbing issues. There is a HUGE difference in rooms. This time my room had a view on to the street, which gave great natural light and a glimpse of the park. The natural light here makes a huge difference for two reasons. First the decor is sort of old world with dark wood floors and furniture mixed with deep unusual color combinations like green and cranberry or blue and cranberry. It is a great look but quite heavy and dark, so having great natural light really is important. But the second reason is some of the rooms look into a dark inner courtyard and straight into other peoples apartments. It makes for a really bad view and I had to pretty much keep the drapes shut the entire time on my first visit. Even the bathroom on this visit had natural light from a window in the shower. There was a ton of counter space, great towels and bath products. The bed was huge and comfortable with luxury bedding. Room service coffee came quickly--the coffee press was expensive but very good and worth the money to not have to venture out for caffeine. The room was very spacious for NYC.
The location is a quick cab ride to midtown for business, but walking distance to great shops, including ABC Carpet and lots of good restaurants. It was lovely walking in the little private park. It is a very quiet and safe neighborhood.
I would compare the experience to the Bowery Hotel, which I like a lot. Both hotels have really fun eclectic design with luxury amenities. The Bowery offers access to the Lower East Side neighborhood and a lower price but the Gramercy has better food, more opulence and a quieter location, great for midtown business.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a courtyard view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Good afternoon,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We agree that our rooms are absolutely gorgeous, spacious and very unique. Our location to conveniently located to midtown and downtown. We are glad to learn that you have enjoyed your visit to New York City.

Let us know next time you are planning a trip to NYC. We would be delighted to welcome you again.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is stunning in its decor and design. Stumble through the dark corridors to your bedroom door and you will be amazed by the sumptuous luxury that lies inside. We stayed in a deluxe loft which had vast amounts of space for two people, a huge desk for working and a long couch to pile the shopping on. The red velvet, mirrored mini bar and deliciously scented candles helped me to name the style- "how I would decorate if my mother never came to visit"
The neighbourhood is great and if you have the time you can walk practically anywhere on the island from this location or jump in a cab and you'll be there within minutes.
The doormen and housekeeping staff and service were truly 5 star. We had a few issues with dopey reception staff, but nothing major. Luckily we declined their offer to hurriedly charge everything to the credit card on file, instead insisting on a printout; despite handing back the iPod two minutes previously and reminding the girl to cancel the deposit, the extortionate $750 was still lurking on there. For a iPod from the 90s! Seriously, you should be giving them out in the cornflakes! Which brings me to the other hiccup- breakfast. We were told we had continental breakfast on the terrace included, after seeing the lame selection I should have insisted on the room service breakfast we should have had with our booking. Sadly I was too polite and English to complain but if you are paying for it, don't bother! There are a couple of cute cafes across the park with a much better selection, where you can find something much more appetising. Especially if you want breakfast at 10am when sweaty cheese and melted muffins were on offer on the semi- outdoor roof terrace. Yes it was hot, so get a chiller cabinet or do a la carte cheese...
Our room was noisy from the air conditioning units clustering around the internal courtyard, a downside of NYC in summer. Buy earplugs or cough up top dollar for a park view room seemed to be the solution. I chose earplugs and a cognac from the minibar helped too!
Overall only a couple of negatives throughout a very happy week here. Can't recommend it enough if you want extravagant escapism in the heart of the city.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our most sincere apologies for your inconveniences during your stay. We will look into the issues right away.

Once again, with renewed apologies we hope to being of service to you in the near future.

Carlsbad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Loved this hotel...very unique, service was top notch, and the ambiance was romantic and totally old New York. Quiet location, but great access to all the best areas. Highly recommend it; you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to learn that you enjoyed your recent experience at Gramercy Park Hotel.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Gramercy Park Hotel has some of the coolest styling of any hotel in NYC. It's deliberately overwhelming and over the top, but in a very cool way. It's really an experience.

I've stayed there a couple of times, and it's been great, but not perfect. The first time I was in a tiny room, they were doing maintenance and the shower didn't work. They fixed the shower but the room was still too small and maintenance in the hallway was annoying. I know they only have one tiny room on each floor so just ask not to be put in the smallest room.

The second time around I was with my wife and we had a bigger room. A very nice room. But - and I don't know why - the whole area around the Park (the actual Gramercy Park - not the hotel) stank of dog poop. I did notice a lot of people walking their dogs in or around the park, but the smell was horrible. I read people who complain about stuff like this and think they are too prissy, but this was a real problem. The staff recognised it as well. The hotel is always sprayed with perfume so inside it was fine.

The jewel in the crown of Gramercy Park Hotel, however, is the Maialino restaurant! A gorgeous trattoria style restaurant with food to die for in an extremely relaxed atmosphere. I cannot recommend the Sunday brunch enough. One of the greatest food experiences of my life.

Room Tip: Don't get the smallest room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. I am sorry you felt our rooms are small. You were in one of our Queen Superior rooms, but we do have many additional room types that are larger. I encourage you to stay in one or our more spacious rooms in the future. We are thrilled that you were able to dine at Maialino's and enjoyed your experience.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

A truly gorgeous space, the Julian Schnabel-designed hotel is a bit like wandering through an Alice in Wonderland film set - all jewelled tones, rich fabrics, opulent decorative elements and exaggerated proportions. Yet it all manages to be both dramatic and entirely tasteful.

Staff and service were faultless. Our room was small, but beautifully designed and provided all we needed to explore New York city. The Rose Bar and Jade Bar are both fantastic nights out - the service, cocktails and atmosphere were some of the best we found in NYC. The rooftop terrace is gorgeous and access to the private Gramercy Park is a lovely, romantic touch.

An incredible hotel I look forward to staying in again.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, opt for the larger rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your five star review! We are thrilled that our ambiance, decoratons and service exceeded your expectations.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel for our wedding weekend in NY and it ended up being the perfect choice. We had a wonderful room overlooking the park which was comfortable, luxurious and presented exceptionally.
We were treated very well by the general manager and all of the staff, with regards to check-in, making sure we had everything we needed in the room and accommodating our guests at various time.
The hotel is very well run and of very high quality.
This hotel is not only about the wonderful rooms and location, you also experience an amazing art collection, fine dining options and multiple bar locations. We held a small gathering for family and friends in the bar area, which was not only comfortable but a unique interior that our guests really enjoyed. We loved having the option of casually making our way to the restaurant just downstairs to enjoy a delicious Italian dinner and wonderful brunch experience.
We would recommend this hotel on any occasion, however all of the amenities the hotel has to offer and the exceptional service made it such a fabulous choice for a very significant weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your five star review! We are thrilled that our ambiance, decoration and service exceeded your expectation.

We look forward to welcome you back!

Elizabeth Mao

Been to Gramercy Park Hotel? Share your experiences!