“GPH Rooftop--Incredible Wedding Venue” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gramercy Park Hotel

You added Gramercy Park Hotel to your Saves list
Gramercy Park Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10010 (Gramercy Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off of our Suites!
Ranked #36 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NYC
“GPH Rooftop--Incredible Wedding Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

The GPH just blew us and our guests away with the reception we held on the rooftop called "The Terrace." The space is a series of unique salons surrounded by a wrap around terrace running the length of the building and fully enclosed in a glass canopy. The city sparkles outside at night with Chrysler Building and skyscaper views. Tons of candles lit the space, lounge seating kept it fresh, and the food got rave reviews. In planning the event, the GPH hospitality staff seems to be trained to just keep saying one word: "Yes." Can we have a non-alcoholic signature drink in addition to the signature cocktail? Yes. Can we have two salumni stations instead of one? Yes. Can staff shell the lobster tails for our guests at the buffet tables? Yes. Instead of 3 GPH desserts, can one dessert be from a specialty ice cream sandwich place we love? Yes. Can our dog stay at the hotel suite with us? Yes. Can we alter the recipes a bit for a couple of dishes? Yes. Can we completely change the proposed menu options? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. It was amazing and absolutely not what you will find at other top NYC venues. Michelle Condon, our Coordinator there, made the stress of planning a wedding there melt away. And everything she promised--EVERYTHING--she came through on.

Ours was a wedding that had a few bumps in the planning because a major storm in late summer caused the reception to have to be rescheduled at the last minute. The GPH and Michelle and her managers asked one question when we called on the morning of the storm in a panic: "What can we do to help?" What followed was perhaps the best customer service we've ever experienced.

The team, the space, the food, even the aroma in the lobby when you enter the building, is chic, hip, a touch edgy, and uber-NYC. We can't wait to find excuses to return in the future.

Room Tip: For a splurge to knock your socks off, check out the Penthouse suite that is like a Baronial mansion...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

My definition of luxury is when elegance is done simply.
This hotel does this effortlessly

Room Tip: Avoid the any rooms over the bar if you sleep early
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

This is not my normal type of hotel I usually stay at uber modern minalmalist places but they were full
Thank god loved it at gramercy,don't book here if you want isolation and piece and quite this place is full of life at the weekends great bars great restarants great staff great management

• Stayed December 2011
Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

The hotel is beautiful, with a good location and expensive. If you love Classic styles or a familiar setting, this is not the ideal hotel. This is where people show their designer clothing,purses, accessories, etc. It is a very high end experience that was totally worth it. I could go walking to the Highline Park, the meating pack district, chelsea and I also found many interesting restaurants, wine bars and shops along the way.It is a side of Manhattan very different from Times Square. This is another Manhattan - worth visiting, of course.

My reservation was for 1 bedroom suite. It was big enough. It was dark, full of velvet, nice style, chandelier, closet, good bathroom, the amenities were chosen by a style magazine. All in place. Just the Tv was not very well located and the view was terrible (ugly building in front of my window). The Bed is fantastic. I felt so good under those linens!

I really liked the concierge. They really work for you to have a pleasant experience. I received emails from them, asking my preferences and I also could book the Airport transfer well in advance (of course it is more expensive than other transportation services). I ordered a few items to be shipped to the hotel before I arrived and they were all in my room when I arrived. And I loved their recommendations for restaurants and clubs. They also arranged a reservation for Maialino, their italian restaurant and I loved it! The hotel bar was good, but the people... Only old drunk people.... Not a good place for 30 years old girls looking to flirt or chat. But it was the weekend after Thanksgiving, so, I don't know. Maybe the public is different another time of the year.

The doormen are wonderful, great, polite, helpful but when I checked out I could observe that even the taxis they called for me were charged ($1,50)... And the thing about charging for Wi-fi access... Come on! This is a high end boutique hotel. No need for that!

All in all, it was a good gift that I gave myself staying at Gramercy. Loved the experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We just left the GPH this morning and I was very disappointed. We have family in the Gramercy Park area of NYC so we picked the GPH. The place has red velvet drapes and dark window shades. If you like D&D you may like the place but I wanted Christmas and this place was dark. Manhattan is never cheap but this was too expensive for a mid town hotel at Christmas. My wife stayed at GPH in August and had a good stay but she said today it was her last stay at GPH. I hate to say it but if you want a boutique hotel, stay at Hotel Giraffe a few blocks away. What the hell were the decorators thinking when they did this hotel?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth M, General Manager at Gramercy Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear TexasWD,
We are very sorry to learn that our décor is not to your liking. One of GPH’s most striking features is its distinct, dramatic design. The hotel features lush velvet curtains, Moroccan tiles, reclaimed lumber, and custom Julian Schnabel-designed fixtures, which come together in a playful juxtaposition of different styles. Like the modern masterworks of art that are displayed throughout the hotel, our eclectic design can evoke an emotional response. We understand that it is not suited to everyone’s taste.

We are sorry that you found the hotel dark. We have recently added additional lighting to our lobby, elevators, hallways, and guestrooms. We understand that you wanted a Christmas feel and we do currently have a gorgeous, sparkling Christmas tree brightening our lobby.
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Should you change your mind and decide to give us another chance, please feel free to contact me directly.

Elizabeth A. Mao
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel is very special... Good for a love-weekend...
At the bar somedy has stolen my vuitton-scarf and the stuff did not care at all... ;-(
Overall the stuff thinks to be from another planet - if you are not a vip they dont care to much.Rosebar is ok, the restaurant is very good! If you like space and light this is not your place as it s dark and quiet small rooms

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1,248 helpful votes 1,248 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

It was not without a bit of hesitation that I booked a weekend here to celebrate my mother’s birthday, and I admit access to the park was a major reason why. The website seemed to tout how “cool” and “hip” the hotel was, something of which I am always a little suspicious.

Well, I’m glad I was wrong. From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out it was an (almost) flawless experience. Accommodations are a bit small but very artistic and quirky; we had a one-bedroom suite overlooking the street and it was more than adequate. Service was fast, efficient, and unpretentious. We ate at the Jade Bar and the Rooftop Terrace, both of which were up to standard for a hotel of this caliber. There were few misses (doorman sent us on a taxi ride to 21 Club without knowing directions) in service and more than enough hits to make up for them.

Those looking for glamor and glitz (Ritz Paris, Plaza, etc.) may feel a bit out of sync here, as the GPH is not trying to emulate these hotels. I felt like I could wear jeans and a t-shirt or a tuxedo and be treated the same either way. There is a very unique buzz here that you have to tune into before you “get it” and I’m glad we did. A place like this can pretty much only exist in a city like New York, and needless to say I’m glad it does.

We’ll be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Gramercy Park Hotel? Share your experiences!