“Simple, Convenient, Sufficient for a young Backpacker.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Wanderers Inn West to your Saves list
Wanderers Inn West
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   257 W 113th street, New York City, NY 10026 (Harlem)   |
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Simple, Convenient, Sufficient for a young Backpacker.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We decided to use this hostel as our first stop in the US. We got off the subway at 110th street (NW corner of Central Park / C line) and the hostel was easy to find, directions having been found on the Hostels website. Although not historically the nicest area, Harlem seemed very freindly and throughout our stay we never encountered any problem. The hostel itself is a terraced 4 story house, of which the entrance is down a flight of stairs, those with disabilities are advised against this hostel as all barr two rooms are located upstairs. We arrived and although having made a joint booking, we were told it was going to be rare that we shared the same room and that we have to change rooms on a nightly basis, something most annoying when unpacking and repacking a heavy rucksack. The rooms varied from an all girls room on the first night, which was quiet, to a 12 bed all male room at the top of the building which was hot, noisey, and had an awful smell after a nights sleep. But all this is part of hostels and you will encounter much the same elsewhere. On a wednesday the have a free pizza night, and you and fellow travellers can enjoy free pizza and meet some very interesting people (all of whom I met were very nice). You had clean sheets at the beginning of your stay and there was free internet available (Wi-Fi). Washing machines were also available, but could not see an iron and be sure to get your own washing up powder/liquid. The outside social area closes at 11 and the indoor one at 12, so if you fancy a few drinks, you may have to head out.

IN SUMMARY,,,,, Good hostel if you get the right rooms, but for the price, you cannot complain and would use again. Just be weary if you are going to book longer then a week there as you may suffer sleep deprivation!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Families
Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I spend 5 nights in Wanderers Inn West, and it was very good experience. The staff was nice and helpful. Location is very good, just a few blocks from the subway station, the grocery store is nearby. I strongly recommend if you don't mind staying in Harlem. In my opinion the district is safe, i didn't experienced any dangerous situation during my stay, even at night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I have stayed in other hostels in New York which were more expensive but this hostel I thought was the best. Just 3 blocks from the subway were you can catch the C or the B uptown or downtown which makes getting around real easy.
Some reviews on this site were knocking the location a little bit saying the hostel was in a bad neighbourhood which was putting me off but I'm glad I decided to stay there in the end. The area is fine and I found the people to be quite friendly, there is absolutely no need to feel intimidated.
As for the hostel itself, the room was clean and spacious with toilet and shower ensuite and also contained lockers. There is free wifi and free breakfast which is great considering some hostels don't give you either and are more expensive.
I would defiantly stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Me and my friend stayed in this hostel for 10 nights and we had a very good time!It is very cheap, big rooms with bunk beds,toilet and shower in the room,very close to shops and restaurants,close to subway stations,quite central and very clean too.We had breakfast every morning in the back garden which is connected with the common room where breakfast is served.Free pizza every wednesday at 6 pm..
The reception guys were very helpful and friendly..Plus it is a safe place to stay.
I will always highly recommend this hostel becasue I have been there and I am totally satisfied.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I'm a retired banker who has stayed in a lot of luxury hotels. However, I am now traveling around the world and budgeting modestly. This was my first hostel stay ever and I have to say I was very impressed.

The rooms and hostel are clean, the location is fantastic (3 blocks north of Central Park and the subway). Breakfast is fruit, coffee, corn flakes,toast, bagels and coffee...all you want and enough to get your day started. WiFi in the rooms is not always reliable but no problem connecting in the kitchen.

The only thing that could dissuade or persuade people is that there is not really a big common area to meet people. The kitchen was usually crammed at breakfast and the back yard was used more by smokers than to sit and chat. But with that said, I had no problems meeting people in the hostel and finding my own space to be on my own.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Travelled via bus from Canada to get to the hostel at about noon - to find out I couldn't check in until 2pm. However the man at the front acted as if I was the first person to ask for a luggage room in a backpackers. He then instructed me to put my bag in the front hall - with no effort to secure them.

When I returned at about 2pm, my room was not ready yet so I went for another coffee. When I returned the man stated "up the stairs to the left" I assumed that he was directing me to my room. I had a sleep - good curtains!!! and went out to the theatre. When I was walking back the police asked me three times if I was lost - apparently it's a predominantly black community - but I felt completely comfortable (white single female) and not once was concerned - so don't listen to the stereotypes.

Otherwise hostel was fairly well located and close enough to the subway.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I only stayed here for one night, but it was the coldest New York had been for a while and the heating was on full blast... great for about an hour at night could not sleep as it was so overwhelmingly hot! In the morning I had a cold shower as there was no hot water!! Argh! It was clean however and so were the beds so no complaints there. The location was pretty good about 10 - 15 to get into heart of New York. Expensive for private room but reasonable for dorm room.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Wanderers Inn West? Share your experiences!