“My first hostel stay...Wanderer's Inn has set the bar high” 4 of 5 stars

You added Wanderers Inn West to your Saves list
Wanderers Inn West
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   257 W 113th street, New York City, NY 10026 (Harlem)   |
Canada
“My first hostel stay...Wanderer's Inn has set the bar high”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I'm a retired banker who has stayed in a lot of luxury hotels. However, I am now traveling around the world and budgeting modestly. This was my first hostel stay ever and I have to say I was very impressed.

The rooms and hostel are clean, the location is fantastic (3 blocks north of Central Park and the subway). Breakfast is fruit, coffee, corn flakes,toast, bagels and coffee...all you want and enough to get your day started. WiFi in the rooms is not always reliable but no problem connecting in the kitchen.

The only thing that could dissuade or persuade people is that there is not really a big common area to meet people. The kitchen was usually crammed at breakfast and the back yard was used more by smokers than to sit and chat. But with that said, I had no problems meeting people in the hostel and finding my own space to be on my own.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Families
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Travelled via bus from Canada to get to the hostel at about noon - to find out I couldn't check in until 2pm. However the man at the front acted as if I was the first person to ask for a luggage room in a backpackers. He then instructed me to put my bag in the front hall - with no effort to secure them.

When I returned at about 2pm, my room was not ready yet so I went for another coffee. When I returned the man stated "up the stairs to the left" I assumed that he was directing me to my room. I had a sleep - good curtains!!! and went out to the theatre. When I was walking back the police asked me three times if I was lost - apparently it's a predominantly black community - but I felt completely comfortable (white single female) and not once was concerned - so don't listen to the stereotypes.

Otherwise hostel was fairly well located and close enough to the subway.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I only stayed here for one night, but it was the coldest New York had been for a while and the heating was on full blast... great for about an hour at night could not sleep as it was so overwhelmingly hot! In the morning I had a cold shower as there was no hot water!! Argh! It was clean however and so were the beds so no complaints there. The location was pretty good about 10 - 15 to get into heart of New York. Expensive for private room but reasonable for dorm room.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I brought a school group of 42 students 5 adults to the Wanderers in Feb 2008. The rooms were a good size, and very well heated - at times a bit too hot. The beakfast was great lots of bagels and muffins and all the students loved them. The bathrooms were very clean as were the bedrooms. The staff were very helpful with telling us where to go for the subway etc. The security was also good, and they told all the staff on the trip to go to bed as they would make sure that all the students stayed in (i think he could tell that we were completely knackered!) I would return to this hostel. They were great with the group of students that we had. we had no problems with noice or anything else. I have to say that some people are saying that they were troubled by the location - we had no poblems, and the neighbourhood seemed fine. I walked to the shops a number of times on my own and was fine!! All in all great price great place!!

GREAT FOR GROUPS!!!

• Stayed February 2008
NYCHostelConnection, public relations manager at Wanderers Inn West, responded to this review, December 10, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy that you had such a great experience with us. Come back soon!

-Wanderers Inn West Staff
sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Nice free breakfast. Housekeeper cleaned bathroom and shower almost every day, but never cleaned the floor for some reason. Free wifi in common room/kitchen. Lots of NY guiding books to read and good deal tickets available. Small hostel with guests from all over the world. You get to know others since you share such a small area, good if you travel alone. Beds a bit sqeeky. No couch anywere to chill out. Near to subway, 5-10 minutes walk.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Great hostel just on outskirts of Harlem. I don't get some of the ocmments from people about it being 'dangerous'. Pfft i say. I'm a single white female - travelled there alone, got lost wandering around when i got off the subway with my suitcase and although was a bit daunted it was fine, and i was not hassled at all in the whole time i stayed there.
Hostel friendly, good mix of people, europeans, americans, asians. Fairly noisy but as the dorms are quite big that's to be expected.

Lots of people staying in a hostel for the first time i think judging by the lack of hostel ettiquette (don't turn on lights in dorms when you come in late at night - use a torch, pack the night before if you need to leave early in the morning so you don't wake your roomies, and don't spend all night talking to your mates when people are trying to sleep!)

Friendly staff asides from one grumpy guts on the night shift, my only gripe, SORT THE HEATING OUT!! I was asleep next to the radiator when boiling hot steam started pouring out next to my face at 4am, not impressed at all. Complained and was told there's ongoing problems with heating and management have been informed. They almost had a court case on their hands and someone is going to get seriously hurt if it's not repaired.

Not just my 8 bed dorm as spoke to others and at least three or four rooms with same problem. It seems to be because the hostel is over 4 floors the top rooms are cold so they pump the heating up to warm them up, but when they start to warm the rest of the building is roasting. I had to sleep in shorts and vest, and couldn't wear a jumper indoors despite it being mid-December and -8 degrees outside!

Nice place despite that, but would not return unless i heard the heatings problems had been fixed.

Internet is $1 for 10 mins but wireless is free so take your netbooks, nearest subway 110 st takes around 15 mins into centre of city but trains are fairly infrequent late at night

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Salzburg, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

The Wanderers Inn was the first hostel I stayed in and I was pleasantly surprised! The staff was very nice, the cleaning woman came every day and the breakfast was great too!

One thing people could get annoyed from was a noise coming from a pipe in the room which you could hear sometimes. It did not really disturb me but other people could be annoyed through that.

All in all I can say that it is a great hostel, especially for that price with breakfast included, I will definitely go back!

• Liked — Breakfast, Price, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noises from pipe
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wanderers Inn West? Share your experiences!