“Friendly Staff, shame about cold water!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wanderers Inn West

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Wanderers Inn West
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   257 W 113th street, New York City, NY 10026 (Harlem)   |
UK
“Friendly Staff, shame about cold water!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I only stayed here for one night, but it was the coldest New York had been for a while and the heating was on full blast... great for about an hour at night could not sleep as it was so overwhelmingly hot! In the morning I had a cold shower as there was no hot water!! Argh! It was clean however and so were the beds so no complaints there. The location was pretty good about 10 - 15 to get into heart of New York. Expensive for private room but reasonable for dorm room.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I brought a school group of 42 students 5 adults to the Wanderers in Feb 2008. The rooms were a good size, and very well heated - at times a bit too hot. The beakfast was great lots of bagels and muffins and all the students loved them. The bathrooms were very clean as were the bedrooms. The staff were very helpful with telling us where to go for the subway etc. The security was also good, and they told all the staff on the trip to go to bed as they would make sure that all the students stayed in (i think he could tell that we were completely knackered!) I would return to this hostel. They were great with the group of students that we had. we had no problems with noice or anything else. I have to say that some people are saying that they were troubled by the location - we had no poblems, and the neighbourhood seemed fine. I walked to the shops a number of times on my own and was fine!! All in all great price great place!!

GREAT FOR GROUPS!!!

• Stayed February 2008
NYCHostelConnection, public relations manager at Wanderers Inn West, responded to this review, December 10, 2009
Hello,

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy that you had such a great experience with us. Come back soon!

-Wanderers Inn West Staff
sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Nice free breakfast. Housekeeper cleaned bathroom and shower almost every day, but never cleaned the floor for some reason. Free wifi in common room/kitchen. Lots of NY guiding books to read and good deal tickets available. Small hostel with guests from all over the world. You get to know others since you share such a small area, good if you travel alone. Beds a bit sqeeky. No couch anywere to chill out. Near to subway, 5-10 minutes walk.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Great hostel just on outskirts of Harlem. I don't get some of the ocmments from people about it being 'dangerous'. Pfft i say. I'm a single white female - travelled there alone, got lost wandering around when i got off the subway with my suitcase and although was a bit daunted it was fine, and i was not hassled at all in the whole time i stayed there.
Hostel friendly, good mix of people, europeans, americans, asians. Fairly noisy but as the dorms are quite big that's to be expected.

Lots of people staying in a hostel for the first time i think judging by the lack of hostel ettiquette (don't turn on lights in dorms when you come in late at night - use a torch, pack the night before if you need to leave early in the morning so you don't wake your roomies, and don't spend all night talking to your mates when people are trying to sleep!)

Friendly staff asides from one grumpy guts on the night shift, my only gripe, SORT THE HEATING OUT!! I was asleep next to the radiator when boiling hot steam started pouring out next to my face at 4am, not impressed at all. Complained and was told there's ongoing problems with heating and management have been informed. They almost had a court case on their hands and someone is going to get seriously hurt if it's not repaired.

Not just my 8 bed dorm as spoke to others and at least three or four rooms with same problem. It seems to be because the hostel is over 4 floors the top rooms are cold so they pump the heating up to warm them up, but when they start to warm the rest of the building is roasting. I had to sleep in shorts and vest, and couldn't wear a jumper indoors despite it being mid-December and -8 degrees outside!

Nice place despite that, but would not return unless i heard the heatings problems had been fixed.

Internet is $1 for 10 mins but wireless is free so take your netbooks, nearest subway 110 st takes around 15 mins into centre of city but trains are fairly infrequent late at night

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Salzburg, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

The Wanderers Inn was the first hostel I stayed in and I was pleasantly surprised! The staff was very nice, the cleaning woman came every day and the breakfast was great too!

One thing people could get annoyed from was a noise coming from a pipe in the room which you could hear sometimes. It did not really disturb me but other people could be annoyed through that.

All in all I can say that it is a great hostel, especially for that price with breakfast included, I will definitely go back!

• Liked — Breakfast, Price, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noises from pipe
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

This is a very nice place to stay in NYC if you want to spend little money and have comfort. Wanderers Inn West is a few blocks from the subway station (dont forget to take ONLY lines B or C to get to the hostel, otherwise you will get lost in the crazy NY subway).
The hostel is very clean, our room and bathroom were always clean and smelling good. Me and my boyfriend stayed in a private double room, that has a wash basin inside, and bathroom was outside, but we didn't have any problems to use it.
Breakfast was very good everyday, with bagels, muffins, butter, jam, milk, juice, corn flakes. It starts at 8:30 am and the food was always there for everybody, you dont have to panic to eat because they are always refueling with more food.
The front desk staff is nice, Eric is a brazilian guy (we are from Brazil too) and he gave us maps of the city and lots of good tips about NYC.
Hostel is located on the north of Manhattan, almost in Harlem but it's not Harlem yet. In the streets you can see some bad looking guys, but they do not offer any danger. We came back to the hostel some times late night walking and we didn't have any problems.
If I had to go back to NYC, I really would stay there again. I really recommend the Wanderers Inn West!

• Liked — Its very clean and breakfast was very nice
  • Disliked — the 4 stairs to get to my room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

after reading a review from another single woman traveller about this hostel just before I was due to stay there I was a bit worried, she said it was in Harlem, a known unsafe area for white females. I thought the hostel was lovely, the beds were rickety and quite old, some didn't have ladders (so getting on the top bunk was hard) and breakfast was basic, but included. I stayed here twice, the first time the room was large (15 females) and had no air con, second time air con had been installed and I stayed in a smaller 8 female bed dorm. Hostel is clean, good sized shower rooms and plenty of showers and toilets to go around.
The area, admittedly isn't the nicest of areas in NYC, but I didn't have any trouble, it's right on the very edge of harlem and using the 110th street broadway station on the C line is pretty much fine whatever time of day. Lovely friendly old people sat in chairs in the street give it a nice feeling, I never once felt threatened by them. Road outside is not busy, and the hostel has a small courtyard at the back which is unusual for a hostel in NYC. The hostel also has some nights where they show movies in the small but adequate kitchen for free, and also a free pizza night when I was there. Staff are very welcoming and helpful in every respect. Would definately stay here again for the cost!! Very good deal.

• Liked — great really helpful friendly staff
  • Disliked — no ladders on bunk beds!!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Wanderers Inn West? Share your experiences!