“Good location and price.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Wanderers Inn West to your Saves list
Wanderers Inn West
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   257 W 113th street, New York City, NY 10026 (Harlem)   |
Ontario
“Good location and price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on my layover flight to Shanghai. The location is very good, 2 blocks to central park and the subway. Not many other hostel options in the city, therefore it is really the best price in town. I was in a 8 bed mixed dorm. Felt safe at all times and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Families
California, US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Some great things:

24 hr. reception - I had a flight early in the morning and had to check out at 3am to catch my airport shuttle. They were open and made checking out very easy.

I lost my passport before my trip, but had a photocopy of it and they accepted it (I am a US citizen though, so that was probably not as big of a deal).

The staff was really friendly and helpful with answering questions. They give you a good subway map when you check in (definitely a +++)

Towels are free, just turn them in downstairs when you check out.

The bathrooms are cleaned daily and the sink, shower, and toilet are separate so you have less conflicts using the bathroom in the morning.

My room (12 bed male) was on the top floor so it was plenty warm, even during November weather. However, I wouldn't suggest this hostel for physically disabled - there are a lot of stairs both entering the reception area and up to the rooms.

The common room was a nice place to meet fellow travelers - mostly europeans.

Security is top-notch. I felt very safe during my visit. They have 24 hr. cameras monitored by the front desk covering the entrances/exits and the stairways.

The hostel was quiet - barely any noise at street level while you are trying to sleep.

It's cheap! The least expensive and also the greatest value among the hostel choices.

Some not-so-great things:

Breakfast is bland, minimal, and served only 8:30-10:30. I had meetings downtown during my stay beginning around 8:15, so it was impossible to take advantage of the otherwise free breakfast except for one morning during my stay when I got to try it. BUT it is free, and most other hostels in the area do not offer breakfast, let alone free breakfast.

The location is okay. It is a bit far from the sights I wanted to see, but there is plenty of things to do in the area. Central park is only 3 blocks away. Also, I felt relatively safe in Harlem, but felt a little nervous late at night. Be careful to pay attention to the express versus the local subways when returning in the evening. You might get stuck having to walk 10-12 blocks late at night if you don't get the right train stopping at 110 St./Cathedral city station along the B/C line.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed in during labor day weekend.
The staff was nice and very helpful.
It's location is very convenient , just a few blocks from the subway station and also the grocery stores are nearby..
Rooms were little bit small but still I would recommend if you don't mind staying in Harlem.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We decided to use this hostel as our first stop in the US. We got off the subway at 110th street (NW corner of Central Park / C line) and the hostel was easy to find, directions having been found on the Hostels website. Although not historically the nicest area, Harlem seemed very freindly and throughout our stay we never encountered any problem. The hostel itself is a terraced 4 story house, of which the entrance is down a flight of stairs, those with disabilities are advised against this hostel as all barr two rooms are located upstairs. We arrived and although having made a joint booking, we were told it was going to be rare that we shared the same room and that we have to change rooms on a nightly basis, something most annoying when unpacking and repacking a heavy rucksack. The rooms varied from an all girls room on the first night, which was quiet, to a 12 bed all male room at the top of the building which was hot, noisey, and had an awful smell after a nights sleep. But all this is part of hostels and you will encounter much the same elsewhere. On a wednesday the have a free pizza night, and you and fellow travellers can enjoy free pizza and meet some very interesting people (all of whom I met were very nice). You had clean sheets at the beginning of your stay and there was free internet available (Wi-Fi). Washing machines were also available, but could not see an iron and be sure to get your own washing up powder/liquid. The outside social area closes at 11 and the indoor one at 12, so if you fancy a few drinks, you may have to head out.

IN SUMMARY,,,,, Good hostel if you get the right rooms, but for the price, you cannot complain and would use again. Just be weary if you are going to book longer then a week there as you may suffer sleep deprivation!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I spend 5 nights in Wanderers Inn West, and it was very good experience. The staff was nice and helpful. Location is very good, just a few blocks from the subway station, the grocery store is nearby. I strongly recommend if you don't mind staying in Harlem. In my opinion the district is safe, i didn't experienced any dangerous situation during my stay, even at night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I have stayed in other hostels in New York which were more expensive but this hostel I thought was the best. Just 3 blocks from the subway were you can catch the C or the B uptown or downtown which makes getting around real easy.
Some reviews on this site were knocking the location a little bit saying the hostel was in a bad neighbourhood which was putting me off but I'm glad I decided to stay there in the end. The area is fine and I found the people to be quite friendly, there is absolutely no need to feel intimidated.
As for the hostel itself, the room was clean and spacious with toilet and shower ensuite and also contained lockers. There is free wifi and free breakfast which is great considering some hostels don't give you either and are more expensive.
I would defiantly stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Me and my friend stayed in this hostel for 10 nights and we had a very good time!It is very cheap, big rooms with bunk beds,toilet and shower in the room,very close to shops and restaurants,close to subway stations,quite central and very clean too.We had breakfast every morning in the back garden which is connected with the common room where breakfast is served.Free pizza every wednesday at 6 pm..
The reception guys were very helpful and friendly..Plus it is a safe place to stay.
I will always highly recommend this hostel becasue I have been there and I am totally satisfied.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Wanderers Inn West? Share your experiences!