“Improvedy Club” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre

Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre
307 W 26th St, New York City, NY (Chelsea)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 773 nightlife in New York City
Type: Bar/ Clubs
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Sketch and improv comedy club.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Improvedy Club”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've been to the UCB multiple times. It is usually improv comedy, but can be anything from comedic musical pieces, rehearsed skits to audience-incorporated games. For a great price (typically $5-$10), you can enjoy a great show right outside Times Square. Each show is completely different, and while I have attended one terrible show, it will not prevent me from going again in the future-- it's the nature of improv. They often pick on people in the audience, so if you are uncomfortable being singled out, you should probably not sit in the front rows or draw attention to yourself-- although it's always in the spirit of fun. You can see the schedule and make reservations online (http://newyork.ucbtheatre.com/schedule/#today) While it may get a little dark or mature for the late shows, I consider this club to be a fun time for anybody aged 14+. Check ta check check it out

Visited August 2012

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
“One of the Highlights of our Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The UCB Theatre was one of the best places we visited during our trip to NYC. My brother is only 16 and we were lucky to find the UCB because they were the only comedy club in town that would let him in. We were a little skeptical about how good the comedy would be since it was a club that would let younger people in, but we were definitely not disappointed. We saw The Curfew and they were hilarious!!! I think the only time we stopped laughing was during the 5 minute intermission. It was so good that we wanted to stay for the other shows that evening but they were sold out. (And rightfully so after seeing the first show) The place is easy to find, only $10 per person per show, and there's not a bad seat in the house. Some people might consider it a dive but we thought it was an awesome place and one of the most unique we've ever visited. If you're in the area, go here, enjoy the awesome improv comedy, and you won't be disappointed!!!

“We laughed so hard!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

What to do with my 16yr old son in New York city on a Friday night? After a bit of research I decided on a comedy club and more specifically UCB. Reserved tickets online and then hoped for the best! On our way to the theater my son asked me if this was a nice place and I told him, "well, I'm not sure, it's in the basement of a grocery store so who knows!" His reply, "that is AWESOME!" We arrived 30 min early for our 9pm reservations, went downstairs to get our tickets (thanks previous reviewers for this golden nugget of advice!) then stood in line to wait for the show. We got seats on the right hand side of the stage and settled in for......well, we had no idea what was in store for us! We saw The Stepfathers and I have to tell you it was FABULOUS! My son and I both laughed our butts off, they were hilarious and it was such a cool NYC experience for my mid-western teenager! At first he was worried that he wouldn't "get it" but that was quickly forgotten as the jokes and skits unfolded before us. For anyone else wondering if this show is appropriate for teens....there were some F-bombs but the show wasn't centered around it....it was just really good fun! That said, it is improv so all shows are different, but I would take him again in a heartbeat! UCB was definitely a highlight of our trip to New York City!

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“$5 show - best bargain in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

one hour show - sign up online - $5 (or $10, or free) to get in - worth every penny and drinks are cheap (for NYC). A thoroughly enjoyed this "practice" theater for comedy "students."

8 attraction reviews
“Always funny, sometimes hilarious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I've been here five or six times over the past few years and never had a bad time. It's a great little venue that's very well run and always features something that'll make you laugh. Sometimes you might be surprised at who's performing. Once, we arrived to find Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers and Jack McBrayer as part of the group that night. Ticket price for an hour and half with them: $5. Last Friday we saw the Stepfathers, with Chris Gethard, Shannon O'Neill and Connor Ratliff, from "The Chris Gethard Show," and Zach Woods, from "The Office." It was the funniest set I've seen yet at UCB.