“spoilt our trip to New York” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dexter House Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dexter House Hostel
You added Dexter House Hostel to your Saves list
345 West 86th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
wales
“spoilt our trip to New York”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

from the outside the place looks quite nice, but tis a facade: this place was absolutley disgusting. The rooms were dirty and very bare, the beds didnt look very clean and weren't comfortable, which meant i had hardly any sleep. The door to the room wouldnt open, and the place smelt. There was broken glass in the stairway. You had to share a bathroom with a large number of people- our bathroom didn't even lock, and the bath was very dirty!
The only good point was that they gave us breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed March 2010

wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

This is the worst, dirtyest place ever. Was unsafe there, beds were not made, evrything was dirty. People were living illegally in this dump. The staff were unhelpfull, doores did not unlockwe had a hole in our window, where we could hear evrything that happened put side, we had a rusty uncleaned bathroom where we found blood in the bath. The rooms were small and cramped, we could not wash or use the toilets there, it was dipicable. the whole hostel was a health and safety hazerd, wich ruined my holiday in NYC and i will never go back there!

• Stayed March 2010

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I stayed here on my first ever overseas trip. I'd read alot about how expensive it was to stay in New York, and viewed some reviews of Dexter before arriving. I expected the worst. We got a (double) bed (were expecting a twin so had to share with my friend) in a pretty small room (the bed was against the wall). You couldn't extend one arm outcross the bathroom, but the shower was good and reasonably clean. Had a microwave (but you had to put it on the floor to use it!) and a small bar fridge & tv. I suspected the bottom sheet on the bed hadn't been changed, so removed it and took it to reception pretending I had spilt my drink on it and got a clean sheet straight away. The mattress was bed-bug protected and I couldn't see any signs of bed bugs. It was cheap and convenient, and in a really great location 5 minutes walk from the metro. It was nice to stay in a residential area. I viewed my Dexter experience as a bit of a noveltyquirky one so it didn't bother me. We were woken one night though by police shouting and pulling out their gun for a domestic violence incident on our floor. There are permanent residents (some migrants) who complain about hotel visitors, but if you're easy going and want a cheap, relatively clean and comfortable place to stay in New York that's in a great location, this place is okay. Ask for a room with your own bathroom though. Definitely worth it. Reception staff are indifferent, but did mind our luggage the day we were leaving, and photocopied some maps from my guide book for free. The pay as you go internet near the kitchen downstairs is a bit of a rip off at US$7 per minute. There are no other internet facilities nearby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I stayed in this "hotel" twice in early 2008. I think I can offer something of an explanation for the pretty diverse range of scores here.

I stayed here twice, in three different rooms, and found a very diverse range of conditions.

Obviously, this is a very cheap place (by NY standards) on the upper west side, so it's not going to be luxury. The best you can expect is a decent, double bed, in a clean(ish) room, very dated, a bit grimy in places, and a slightly grim but just about passable bathroom (shared). That was the first booking - I booked a double room to myself, and I'd say it was basically OK (on a par with a reasonable private room in a hostel, basically).

Second time, I came with two friends. We'd booked a room that would sleep three. We basically got an absolute nightmare of a room that would be very poor by most hostel standards. It was totally unfurnished in any way, no TV, horrible adjoining shower room with mould & dirt on the walls. The beds were metal bunks, and we weren't initially provided with ANY bedding except a dirty pillow until we complained at the front desk (even then it took an hour for someone to arrive with a few sheets). Even worse, the room was totally unsecure - there was a door to an adjoining room/dorm which was COMPLETELY UNLOCKABLE, so anyone could basically have walked in off the street, or booked that room, come through the door, and stolen any of our stuff (although a locker, without lock, was provided).

We complained about this and were then placed in a room higher up, which had a TV, two double beds (even though we'd booked a room for three single guys, two of us had to share). It was in a much better state (and more secure) than room no.2, but it was still pretty grimy and we found a dead cockroach (no evidence of any living ones, thankfully) in the wardrobe.

You should also be warned that the hotel has a lot of people actually living there, so it's a bit of a wierd place - no worse than your average hostel, perhaps, but with some barmy old women and migrant workers constantly here and there, it's far from the usual hotel experience. Additionally, the staff are almost uniformly rude and unhelpful, as well as disorganised; you get what you pay for, and the usual "businesslike, service without a smile" New York attitude is pretty clear here.

So, if you have experience no.1, you'll probably find Dexter House to be a palatable budget travel experience, and a good alternative to a shared dorm in a hostel. If you have experience no.2, you'll probably find Dexter House as unpleasant as all the people here who gave horrifying reviews.

My advice - there's lots of nice, modern hostel-type accomodation in NYC, and with the good public transport system, you don't necessarily even need to stay in Manhattan to be near the centre of the action. I'd probably avoid this place. HOWEVER, if you're travelling alone or in a couple, and you don't need much luxury, if you book a double-room and make sure you get a solitary double (preferably with an en-suite) you'll probably actually get a decent, cheap night's sleep with a great location. If you're trying to book for a large party, or you come when it's busy and get whatever room they have left, you may end up in a hell-hole.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
west yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

Not being the richest of travelers I sought out the cheapest hotel, I'd read some poor reviews but it wasn't so bad, I had a double bed, fridge, microwave, cable tv, shower and toilet, as I was on the 15th floor the water pressure wasn't the highest, It's better to take an off peak shower to get decent water pressure. the staff were ok, I spent my 40th there and enjoyed it so much I'm returning in 2010. This is the City that never sleeps so why spend £150 a night for somewhere to lay your head, close to the subway, drug store, and other shops close to central park. I am staying for 6 nights early in 2010 for the same price that I would pay for 2 nights in downtown, if you want luxury then go elsewhere otherwise save your cash and bed down at dexter house.

Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
lake district
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

Stayed at Dexter house as group of four girls and it was the cheapest place by £300 each to stay for a family room with en-suite. After reading lots of disturbing reviews, we were very anxious upon arrival but were all pleasantly surprised. Whilst I would describe the experience as 'no-frills', its definitely worth the money we paid. The bathroom was in good condition and very clean, and we had a fridge, microwave and tv in the room (although no kettle!). Our only complaint was the pillows-of which there were only one, very thin version of each and the fact that there were only two towels for the four of us. The location was good, too with a metro stop just along the road. All in all, we would recommend Dexter house as an affordable, decent place to stay, if you're not looking for luxury and just need a base whilst seeing the sights of the big apple.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
rochester NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We did not expect the best, however I really think the mattress we saw out in the garbage up the street was better then what we slept on!. I would never recomend anyone to stay there! Was the worst place I have ever stayed in!. Certainly was not what I thought it would be!
They need to gut the place and start over! The location was great just not a good place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Dexter House Hostel? Share your experiences!