“Interesting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Russian Tea Room

The Russian Tea Room
150 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
(212) 581-7100
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenues
Transit: N, Q, R to 57th Street/7th Avenue F to 57th Street B, D, E to 7th Avenue/53rd Street 1, 2, A, B, C, D to Columbus Circle
Description: Opulent and grand, The Russian Tea Room in New York offers elegant fine dining in sophisticated surroundings. Superb continental cuisine with Russian fare is the key focus at the exquisite Russian Tea Room. The elegant interior features bold red leather banquettes and Art Deco design. Full of character, Russian Tea Room has been a cultural hub in New York for over 80 years, after the members of the Russian Imperial Ballet founded the restaurant in 1927. Full of delicious classics, the menu includes signature dishes like beef stroganoff, poached lobster salad or chicken kiev with caramelized wild rice. High Tea at The Russian Tea Room includes sandwiches and blinis along with cupcakes, seasonal scones and petits fours. A fine selection of loose leaf teas will complement the high tea, with the optional accompaniment of champagne. Close to New York's Carnegie Hall, the vibrant tradition of the Russian Tea Room legacy is still alive to this day.
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Have heard of this venue for many years and finally visited it on a 'toptable' deal in February. Food and service were okay, but i expected the interior to be more'sensational' Seemed tired decor, and the 'booth type seatin we had was not comfortbale.Food was adequate, but not special.Would not go again

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

perth
“Superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Great food, presentation,service,the decor is amazing, if you visit New York you must visit the russian tea rooms.

Visited July 2014
northern Ontario
“Another gem in New York City.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

While we were in New York City last month I took my daughter to The Russian Tea Room for her birthday lunch. The Russian Tea Room is just one out of many, many gems in New York City. I had made the reservation earlier in the week via their website. Although I would have preferred to bring my daughter there for high tea and petit fours (especially since we made petit fours before, which is not an easy task, to put it mildly!) but the times for tea just didn’t work into our schedule.

It was a beautiful summer day so we walked to the restaurant from our hotel. I was excited to visit the Tea Room because of all the history it held. I knew about all the movies and tv shows that were filmed there over the years, however I didn’t realize it until I read on their website that the Tea Room was founded over eighty years ago by the Russian Imperial Ballet. And I also read Madonna used to work at the coat check there...it really is quite the fascinating place. Those are just a few little interesting facts, there are so many more.

The atmosphere in the restaurant as you can imagine is very different, lots of red, gold and amazing art work on the walls. We were seated at a booth that was very roomy and comfortable. The linens and china were lovely and the service was excellent. My daughter and I both enjoyed our lunch. My daughter is a vegetarian and she had no problem finding something on the menu to order. After our lunch they were so kind to bring my daughter her dessert with a lit birthday candle on it. We thought the cheesecake we ordered would be just your typical cheesecake, but not so, my daughter and I decided that it was by far the best cheesecake we had ever tasted. We couldn’t quite put our finger on what made it so yummy, but nonetheless it was pretty amazing, I would go back just for the cheesecake alone.

If you do visit the Tea Room make sure you take a trip downstairs to see the hundreds, maybe even thousands of Russian Dolls. There are also rooms upstairs (where they have high tea) that apparently you can have a look at, but we had to get going so we didn’t get a chance to see what the upstairs was like. There are four floors in all and from what I read on their website the restaurant can be booked for private parties, weddings and so forth.

I would recommend The Russian Tea Room ... I'm really glad we went!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife had salmon and I had the NY strip steak. Service was very good, a little too quick but we didn't mind as was first night and we were shattered. Place is very old, hasn't had a facelift since the 70's. Very red inside reminds me of a Chinese restaurant. Very smart people inside and was. A pleasure coming here for dinner.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bowie, Maryland
“Pricey but Sweet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Visited the Russian Tea Room on a whirlwind visit to New York. Had heard nice things about this restaurant and I wanted to try it out, so we stopped in for brunch. It was quite delicious, and we were not disappointed. Of course we could have probably gotten a bigger, just as yummy brunch elsewhere for a lot less. The ambience was really nice, the wait staff was friendly, helpful, and attentive. So, if you're looking for a nice, quiet nook in the city, and you don't mind the prices, then I would recommend you stop by.

• Visited July 2014