“Farewell Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Russian Tea Room

The Russian Tea Room
150 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
(212) 581-7100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Russian Tea Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,710 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Russian, Eastern European
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenues
Transit: N, Q, R to 57th Street/7th Avenue F to 57th Street B, D, E to 7th Avenue/53rd Street 1, 2, A, B, C, D to Columbus Circle
Description: Opulent and grand, The Russian Tea Room in New York offers elegant fine dining in sophisticated surroundings. Superb continental cuisine with Russian fare is the key focus at the exquisite Russian Tea Room. The elegant interior features bold red leather banquettes and Art Deco design. Full of character, Russian Tea Room has been a cultural hub in New York for over 80 years, after the members of the Russian Imperial Ballet founded the restaurant in 1927. Full of delicious classics, the menu includes signature dishes like beef stroganoff, poached lobster salad or chicken kiev with caramelized wild rice. High Tea at The Russian Tea Room includes sandwiches and blinis along with cupcakes, seasonal scones and petits fours. A fine selection of loose leaf teas will complement the high tea, with the optional accompaniment of champagne. Close to New York's Carnegie Hall, the vibrant tradition of the Russian Tea Room legacy is still alive to this day.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“Farewell Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We came here for breakfast on our last day as a way to top off a wonderful trip. The service was exceptional, everything you would expect from a 5 star restaurant. The decor was something I had wanted to see first hand, I was right, pictures don't do it justice. The bear in the second floor is something everyone should see if they visit here. If you ask, they will take you upstairs to see, as long as its not busy.

Visited February 2013

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Awful food, average service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We came here to celebrate my Birthday on Christmas Eve. First the starters, My husband's onion soup was stone cold and had to be sent back, menawhile my started was totally different to the one I ordered, however it was warm and tasetd okay and i didn't want to add to my husband's complaint so I ate it while he sat and watched. When his soup finally returned 10 min later (not sure how it took so long to reheat / replace the soup), it was my turn to sit and watch while he ate.

My husbands main course of Stroganoff was fairly good, however, we got to play the sit and watch game again as my venison stew consisted of 4 small chunks of meat in gravy, and nothing else - despite costing $46 and being described on the menu as including carrots, onions and stewed potatoes. The waiter was polite but didn't seem to be familiar with anything on the menu. When my stew re-appeared it now included 2 slivers of potato with now blackened pieces of venison. When I explained to the waiter that I was not happy he seemend very nervous about approaching the manager but did manage to get the price of the stew deducted from the total bill, to be honest that was pretty poor considering the rest of the meal had been a disaster.

Luckily a $1 pizza slice shop was still open and I managed to get a couple of slices of excellent NY pizza on the way home - Birthday dinner rescued!

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Santos, SP
“The Czar is dead!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Since my first trip to NY , I heard about this iconic place.
People use to say it's one of Woody Allen's favorites!
Finally I booked dinner in December 25th.
The room it is a little bit dark, but the atmosphere and the decadent decoration seemed perfect for an unforgetable dinner.
But the menu at Fix prix was overpriced and the food was at maximum eatable.
Bad food , average staff.
Very disapointed .

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Westchester, NY
“Save your money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We visited The Russian Tea Room with friends during Restaurant Week, looking forward with great anticipation to enjoying this high profile restaurant for the first time. While the room was decorated in the perfect key to invoke white Russian fashion and the servers were up to snuff, the food was served in skimpy portions and had very little flavor. I was delighted to see that chicken Kiev was on the menu (though not the restaurant week menu) so I ordered that, which I thought would give me also an opportunity to see how the portion size for a regularly-priced item might differ from the specially-priced items. My chicken was dry and tasteless (an incredibly difficult result to achieve using a recipe based on a large amount of butter encircled by chicken breast that is then breaded and deep-fried) and the portion I received was not larger than the entrees served to my husband and friends from the three-course special menu. The others at my table were surprised at the small size of their courses, and the two people at my table who preferred to have potatoes without garlic with their steaks were finally able to change that after being served with the garlic-y potatoes by mistake.

Worst of all, the elevator we were told to take to reach the rest rooms in the basement had a foul odor. Never again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
northern NJ
“Lived up to my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My grandparents spoke and ate Russian. Having grown up in NJ, I had heard about The Russian Tea Room my whole life. Yesterday was my fifty-something birthday, and my hubby took me there for dinner. We arrived at 6 pm on a Tuesday evening. The experience starts when a uniformed man opens the door for you. The red banquet seats, the green painted walls covered with oil paintings and samovars made the restaurant feel luxurious. How was the FOOD? Very very good. Hubby tried a vodka brand called Hammer & Sickle. He deemed it 10 X better than Grey Goose. I had a lovely glass of champagne after dinner, instead of coffee. We had the prix fixe dinner for $60. Appetizer, entree, and dessert. All 3 dessert choices had cream, which I can't have. Hubby asked if a sub would be ok, and yes! I had sorbet, made on premise, which was full of flavor and not too sweet. Special occasions would be well celebrated at the RTR, since it makes for a very memorable fine dining experience. BTW, anyone looking for "reasonable" prices can go to a diner. RTR gives a luxury dining experience. That costs more. Here, at RTR, it was worth every penny.

• Visited February 2013