“Lived up to my expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Russian Tea Room

The Russian Tea Room
150 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
(212) 581-7100
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenues
Transit: N, Q, R to 57th Street/7th Avenue F to 57th Street B, D, E to 7th Avenue/53rd Street 1, 2, A, B, C, D to Columbus Circle
Description: Opulent and grand, The Russian Tea Room in New York offers elegant fine dining in sophisticated surroundings. Superb continental cuisine with Russian fare is the key focus at the exquisite Russian Tea Room. The elegant interior features bold red leather banquettes and Art Deco design. Full of character, Russian Tea Room has been a cultural hub in New York for over 80 years, after the members of the Russian Imperial Ballet founded the restaurant in 1927. Full of delicious classics, the menu includes signature dishes like beef stroganoff, poached lobster salad or chicken kiev with caramelized wild rice. High Tea at The Russian Tea Room includes sandwiches and blinis along with cupcakes, seasonal scones and petits fours. A fine selection of loose leaf teas will complement the high tea, with the optional accompaniment of champagne. Close to New York's Carnegie Hall, the vibrant tradition of the Russian Tea Room legacy is still alive to this day.
northern NJ
“Lived up to my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My grandparents spoke and ate Russian. Having grown up in NJ, I had heard about The Russian Tea Room my whole life. Yesterday was my fifty-something birthday, and my hubby took me there for dinner. We arrived at 6 pm on a Tuesday evening. The experience starts when a uniformed man opens the door for you. The red banquet seats, the green painted walls covered with oil paintings and samovars made the restaurant feel luxurious. How was the FOOD? Very very good. Hubby tried a vodka brand called Hammer & Sickle. He deemed it 10 X better than Grey Goose. I had a lovely glass of champagne after dinner, instead of coffee. We had the prix fixe dinner for $60. Appetizer, entree, and dessert. All 3 dessert choices had cream, which I can't have. Hubby asked if a sub would be ok, and yes! I had sorbet, made on premise, which was full of flavor and not too sweet. Special occasions would be well celebrated at the RTR, since it makes for a very memorable fine dining experience. BTW, anyone looking for "reasonable" prices can go to a diner. RTR gives a luxury dining experience. That costs more. Here, at RTR, it was worth every penny.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Daphne, Alabama
“Went because of Gossip girls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Im glad I went but next time I will go for just Tea and desserts. Food was ok. The tea was excellent.. I would have like to have seen more of the place but it seemed blocked or shut down..Weird vibe.

Visited February 2013
“Expensive but fulfilled a dream!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went for brunch with a friend I travelled with last June. Parents had been in 1991 as part of a trip my Dad won with work and I've always wanted to go ever since. The outside was having construction so the exterior couldn't really be seen. We didn't book, just turned up on a Tuesday morning to discover they only opened at 11..no problem, we found something else to do while we waited, we were in NYC! Came back just after 11 and the tea rooms were empty but at least we got a table and were able to have it to ourselves in a way! A few older couples and a family came in shortly after but no more than 4 tables were taken while we were in there.
Atmosphere was a little too quiet, maybe some cultural music in the background would have been nice. A nice Russian waiter served our table, and we went for a set menu, $40 I think for 2/3 courses, possibly extra for dessert. We stuck to water and juice as we did have to spend within reason as it was the last week of our trip. Total bill came to $60 each including our tip. I made bad choices in regards to portion size as I was left starving after a 3 course meal but regardless the food was fantastic. I had a goats cheese based starter, ravioli type main which had obviously been made fresh, and a chocolate looking pyramid to finish. All very tiny but very good!
After we finished I really wanted to see the room with polar bear for the pictures I'd seen from the website, and kindly enough the waitress put the lift on and took us to see the basement and then the 1st floor where she switched on all the lights to let us explore the room and take pictures. Chairs were stacked up in there so we couldn't see the room in full flow but we really appreciated the staffs efforts that day. Will be a meal I'll never forget!

Washington, D.C.
“Old school, but very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Although the decor and service is old school, we really liked the opulence and excellent service. We went for a Monday lunch but had no reservations -- we went on a whim. At noon, they weren't busy at all but things picked up as the day progressed. We ordered off the Restaurant Week menu which was a very good deal. The food was good, but nothing experimental. The tea is rather pricey at $10 for pot of tea which came with sugar cubes and dried cherries which you're supposed to put in your tea cup to sweeten the tea but it really doesn't sweeten it at all. We definitely want to go back for high tea! We would have ordered high tea that day, but it's only served from 2:00-4:00 and it was too early for tea.

Visited February 2013
“Give this one a miss!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Upon entering this icon of NYC, one expects good things. It's opulence is stunning and the greeting at the door and table service is equally great. However what should be the star of the show fails to deliver. I could and do make better sandwiches and treats at home!
I really hate giving bad reviews but at $50/person for afternoon tea, I felt I had to!

• Visited February 2013