“My Favorite NYC Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Smith & Wollensky - New York City

Smith & Wollensky - New York City
797 Third Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)
212-753-1530
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky - New York City is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #633 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: E. 49th Street
Description: One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My Favorite NYC Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I make no bones about it. This is the restaurant I go to every time I am in NYC, either solo, with family or friends, or to entertain. Yes, you can find more sophisticated menus and more elegant ambience all over NYC. S & W is what it is, a classic old-fashioned steak house with a classic menu, with every item done well. I like its combination of class and unpretentiousness. I count on its reliable quality, excellent food and service, prompt presentation of the dishes that are ordered, and large (although overly American) wine list. If you are looking for the newest culinary adventure, this is not your place. But if you spend most of the time watching your cholesterol and trying to convince yourself that you should restrict your consumption of animal fats/proteins and the like, S & W is an excellent place for your occasional indulgence.

• Visited January 2013

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Billericay, United Kingdom
“The Steakhouse!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having eaten in a lot of steak houses on my trips to NY this is a classic and a must try.
Be warned the prices are above average but what you pay for is just beautiful food.
We were a walk in on a saturday night and were seated upstairs which is rustic and full of charm, the waiters and wine guru know their stuff!
We ordered Shrimp cocktail and crabmeat to start... large and tasty with the homemade dips adding to a great start.
Fillet, Colorado ribeye and Tuna for the kids ( which without asking they had split..nice job!)
with creamed spinach hash brown and mac n cheese as sides were the order for main's.... just a word of caution.. the sides are Massive and we could not eat them all ..and I have a healthy appetite !!!
We shared profiteroles as a desert and to be honest I don't know where we found the holes to fill in with this as we were all stuffed.
Steaks were HUGE TASTY and cooked to perfection.
The Duchorn special wine we ordered was just sublime and complemented everything so well( thank you for the recommendation!)
You have to try this but again it is not cheap... but it is WORTH IT!!!

• Visited August 2013
Mogi Das Cruzes, SP
“The ultimate steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you are a steak fan, you cannot miss this place! A magnifficant cutted and grilled steak at perfection. The sides hasn`t the same shine, cuz the steak is the main atraction (don`t be frigthen with the baked potato aspect!). You probably will find a lot of New Yorkers there, but the prices aren`t expensive, but don`t expect anything cheap. Nice crew, cosy atmosphere. Certainly, you`ll never forget that steak`s taste!

• Visited September 2013
perth
“Good but portions too large for our taste”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Not used to huge portions and too much creamy and greasy food for OUR taste.
Staff and reception - excellent
Food, the steak was huge and tasty
Lamb chops - I was expecting 3 I received 6. !! Again very nice, although bright green mint jelly looked completely artificial

It is difficult to be too critical when we are used to fine dining of more a French style, I'm sure Americans would love it.
We enjoyed it but didn't have enough room for the dessert, the wine ( Bordeaux ) whilst understandably expensive was good

I think it was worth the experience, spotlessly clean, good service, friendly staff and Maître de.

Visited October 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Went there for the movie”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I must confess: I went to Smith & Wollensky because of its appearance in the movie The Devil wears Prada. Somewhere in the middle of the film, the character played by Meryl Streep orders a beautiful steak from S&W.
Well, reality matched the fiction in my case. Pieces of steak are huuuuge. My daughter and I ordered a Porterhouse for two, but couldn't finish 2 thirds of it.
We tried a fine pinot noir from New Zealand that fit perfectly to the dish.
The service was OK but a little detached.
We were misled by the price in the menu - it showed the per person price where it should had shown the full price.

• Visited October 2013