“Very Good Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Smith & Wollensky - New York City

Smith & Wollensky - New York City
797 Third Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)
212-753-1530
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky - New York City is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #637 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: E. 49th Street
Description: One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

It was our 5th trip to New York and we always come here at least once, because i love the Cajun Spiced Filet Mignon and it was as good as i had remembered all the previous visit's before. A trip to New York wouldn't be the same for us without a meal at Smith and Wolenski!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
“Nice dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My family and I had a leisurely dinner last Saturday night. The food was well prepared and delicious. The service was fine. I asked the management about the incident and they explained that the tourist had his wallet with him and spoke perfect English. There are always more than one side to any story. If in doubt, call the management and make your own decision rather than reading it in the NY Post or NY Daily News.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
napoli
“VERY EXPENSIVE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

i decided to go for a romantic dinner, but i decided to take only one filet and one ribeye, still water and one glass of red wine (the cheapest) and one chocolate cake, only for 147$. and the filet was quite cold..... This restaurant is taking advantage of the previous management.
i suggest to ask for another steak house restaurant, this is quite expensive and non valuable.
loris

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Poor food but good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My parents and I came here, our conceirge recommended it to us. However I would not recommend this to my friends who visit New York.
Food was cold and quite expensive. But if you have the 3 course meal you can have it for $40. But not worth it.

However the service was great. Dad had to send his main meal back and I was tempted to send my salmon back. I had high hopes of this restaurant when it was recommended and whilst waiting in the bar area.

The wine list was quite expensive as well, I guess the conceirge thought we wanted to spend loads of money on meals. Anyway i would say go and try it, maybe you might have a better meal :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“#1 Restaurant To Establish A Criminal Record!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've read all the stories about how you guys treated that Italian tourist. As an Italian-Amecican myself, you have totally lost my business. Although I can't see how anyone can leave home (or hotel room) without their wallet, I guess something like that does happen. There were other ways to handle the situation instead of taking the easy and lazy way out by having the poor man arrested. He even offered his iPhone as collateral (I am also an iPhone owner and I know that it's hard to let it go) and even told staff to go to his room with him to get the wallet. Therfore, BOYCOTT SMITH & WOLLENSKY!! I thought NYC loves tourisim more than anybody and that's how you treat that lawyer from Italy visiting the US in NYC. As far as the owner and managers go, I hope that if you ever go on vacation to Italy or any foreign country, you forget your wallet when eating at an upscale restaurant and the owner presses charges on you and you won't get the American justice we get here. I saw all the rest reviews and comments on Trip Advisor and comments on Yelp and other websites and I hope enough of people don't eat here that you'll be out of business.

Visited January 2013