“Must avoid - send your enemies!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
New York City
“Must avoid - send your enemies!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

One of the most bizarre dining experiences I've ever had. Lured in by the eccentric and charming decor, we found ourselves waited on by the owner, a self promoting freak with a large chef's toque and even larger white handlebar mustache who has plastered the walls with his own grinning visage posing with any minor celeb who had the misfortune of finding themselves in his "cafe". No grin for us, he demanded we order as soon as we sat down. When he came back to the table a few minutes later and we again told him we weren't ready to order, he rolled his eyes, clucked his tongue and sighed. He seemed very tense, and his non-English speaking busboys seemed cowed by him.

The food was awful. Stale bread, overseasoned soup, microwaved quiche and a half-decent salad with wilted and what appeared to be (honestly) recycled vegetables.

This place is a nightmare.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

NYC
“This place is great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I ordered "baker's burger" which came with cabbage and mashed potatoes. I thought it was a lovely meal, full of contrasting and exciting flavor. The presentation was very nice. People that write bad reviews should go back to Olive Garden for their unlimited breadsticks. Haven't tried the deserts, but they are probably really good, the chef and baker seems like a cool dude and definitely a unique, and dining in this extraordinary and eclectic interior is like traveling to a European fairy tale like setting. They also have jazz and Frech accordion music on some nights.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NYC
“The Most Extraordinary Dining Experience I've Ever Had.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Sadly, I do not mean the good kind of extraordinary.

It's like entering someone else's mental illness made manifest in a restaurant. There are knick-knacks cluttering every surface and Christmas lights and plastic Christmas greens on the railings (though it is August as I write this). The tables also all have numbers in stands like you'd see in a high-volume eatery like a Pho house--but there is *nobody* at this restaurant, so the reason behind their existence is a puzzle.

Wherever less would do, more has been added.

The menu is pages and pages and pages long--including a Thanksgiving menu--even though most of its items are not currently on offer.

When you enter you pass a display case of French pastries and there are hand-lettered signs claiming that the bread is fresh and baked today. Sadly, nothing my party ordered had been baked any time this week. The croissants were FLAT and hard as a rock and served with a side of jelly that smelled like a mixture of alcohol and bad meat. The vegetable soup was salty but edible.

The whole experience was extremely sad. I think this guy hit his prime in the 80's, and since then I think mental illness has intervened and led him to where he is today. I would not trust anything that came out of this kitchen. (Owing to this, I simply ordered a beer. Its label was moldy.)

Some in my party were angered by how poor the food was and how expensive the whole ordeal was (gratuity automatically added), but I have to say that my anger was overwhelmed by my sadness.

Still, I will not soon forget this experience. I've eaten all over the world, but none were as outstanding as this place.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Chef Frederick makes outstanding pastries and mousse but it's a nutty atmosphere. : )”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“one sweet place. but i still wonder why he has to put butter underneath cheese on baguette.. is it swiss style cheese...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

one sweet place. but i still wonder why he has to put butter underneath cheese on baguette.. is it swiss style cheese plate?