“A very good restaurant for fine dining....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Modern

The Modern
9 W. 53rd Street, The Museum of Modern Art, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
212-333-1220
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Modern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 11,578 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern features Chef Gabriel Kreuther’s inspired French-American cuisine, served in a stunning space overlooking MoMA’s Sculpture Garden. Dinner options include an eight-course Tasting Menu or a $98 four-course prix fixe menu with diverse options for each course, while lunch offers a $55 three-course menu. The restaurant also boasts an award-winning wine program as well as a carefully curated list of cocktails, beer and spirits. The Modern’s Dining Room accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), and a Bar & Lounge area that welcomes guests on a walk-in basis.
Canada
“A very good restaurant for fine dining....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you're planning to go here, you probably love food that has great presentation and a decerning palate. The Modern is not cheap but has a very nice vibe and some excellent food options. I found my beef tenderloin slightly over-cooked. Desert was some of the best I've ever had, a cheese cake with a cream sauce and berries. The lobster app was the biggest disappointment, with the cuccumber dominating the flavors of the app. The service just ok since I didn't find them that knowledgable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Yonkers, New York
“Nice space, interesting food, aloofish service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

First time at The Modern, we had the prix fixe lunch, 2 courses and dessert for $ 50. I don't know what the dish that is smaller than the amuse bouche is called, but they were tiny and I really couldn't discern the flavors for all the effort put into them. The amuse bouche course was a corn panna cotta with duck prosciutto that was very tasty. For the first course I had the slow poached farm egg with truffle on squid ink spaetzel. Very good, but I couldn't taste the truffle. Next was a chorizo crusted cod. The fish was perfectly cooked and the chorizo added a nice layer to what can sometimes be a bland fish. We decided to pass on dessert, but the kind waitress brought some cookies and chocolates to go with our espresso. Based on the intervals between course, I don't think I would go for lunch from the office, you might not make it back in an hour. Then again with the experience presented here, you wouldn't want to rush anyway. We were served by several staff, there seemed to be a waiter who help us order, someone who delivered the plates and a waitress who described the preparations and answered any questions. Hey, everyone has a bad day, but the waitress seemed like she really didn't want to be there or maybe didn't want to be on our table. In any event, even a fake smile would've helped. All in all a nice meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Georgia, USA
“Outstanding service in a place built for foodies.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our group of six had to settle for the late booking, since we forgot to call promptly at 9:30 a.m. 28 days out, when they put an extra day out for reservations each day. By shortly after noon on a Saturday, there was almost nothing left, because this is one of those "see and be seen" places that one simply must try while in Manhattan. For us, it was a bit over the top with the flavor combinations, but we're not allowed the 4.5 rating which we would really like to give here

I began the 4-course prix fixe dinner with the rabbit terrine, followed by the sturgeon and sauerkraut tart. Third course was small pieces of veal with a mixture of peppers and onions, small serving of a kind of mashed potato and broccoli. This was the most delicious of the three courses, and was not on the menu posted on the restaurant's web site. Dessert was the milk chocolate and hazelnut dacquoise, with raspberry sorbet.

Service was near perfect, although the strong accents of some of the wait staff, along with the noise of the crowd, made the explanations of each dish somewhat difficult to understand. Be prepared to spend a minimum of 2 hours for dinner, and likely closer to 3, with the amuse-bouche and unexpected small dishes between courses and even after dessert. The effort by the chef at avant-garde flavor combinations seemed to parallel a bit too much some of the artistic endeavors of the adjoining Museum of Modern Art. And, indeed, this is food as art.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Artistically Delicious, Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We couldn't get dinner reservations at Eleven Madison Park again this time around, so we decided to go with 'The Modern' at the MoMa museum instead.

I saw that someone had previously yelped," [The Modern] is trying to serve up something that looks like art rather than good food," but I can honestly state that while the presentation is a solid 5/5 and definitely artistic, the food is also excellent.

I would highly recommend eating dinner in the Dining room instead of the Bar area. It is simply more intimate and elegant and as an added bonus, it overlooks the MoMa courtyard. The service was excellent, impeccable actually. A solid 5/5. I think in total, there were about 10 people that came around and helped us throughout the night. When you get your bill, it even says that "If you like our service, please give 20% gratuity." Ha! Their wine list is also extensive, they have even won a James Beard foundation award for their wine sommelier. I just can't get enough of Gewürztraminers, so we got a bottle of that!!

Food:
It is a PRIX FIXE dinner comprised of of four courses at $98/person. There is plenty of choice for each course and we got plenty of additional amuse bouches. The courses themselves are not very big, but you will feel pleasantly full. For MY four courses I chose the: Pralines of Fois Gras Terrine, Sturgeon and Sauerkraut Tart with American Caviar Mousseline, Creekstone Beef Tenderloin 'Mignonette" and a stacked lemon cream pastry for dessert. My bf decided to go with the Wagyu Beef and Fois gras "Damier", the duck and fois gras ravioli, the heritage pork tenderloin and the milk chocolate and hazelnut dacqoise.

Overall, the presentations were truly gastronomical "works of art." It is obvious that the chef specializes in fois gras, because my "pralines" of fois gras terrine were INCREDIBLE. They were served as three little balls with a crunchy outside coating and underneath there was a mango puree that complimented it so well. The brioche was also home-made. My sturgeon and sauerkraut tart was nothing like I had experienced before. The caviar was an added bonus and although I'm not a huge sourkraut fan, this tart has converted me. The tenderloin was cooked well, however the portion was small. it just left me wanting more. My stacked lemon pastry tart was the perfect finish to such an incredible meal.

Ending Notes:
Co-ed bathrooms, now that was a pleasant surprise. You might even get hit on. Solid restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stop reading this review, and just go to this place. Seriously. You'll thank me. And once you're there, order the steak tartare, lobster roll, or the belly pork which are all terrific. In addition, the bar is great, serving good cocktails and a very decent selection of spirits - for the bourbon afficionados, they were the only place I found that was serving George T Stagg. Overall great service too. You get what you pay for...

Visited July 2013