“Not bad but not really great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Yakitori Totto

Yakitori Totto
251 W 55th St, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
212 245 4555
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
New York City, New York
“Not bad but not really great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Came here for lunch twice - had the Totto ramen the first time and the pork skewers over rice the second time. Overall, the food was decent, but I really couldn't find anything very special about it. The soup was very light, so it was good for summertime, but the meat they gave you was not your regular ramen cha-shu meat, which to me was a disappointment. The pork skewers were very tender though, I have to say. But I think I've had way better ramen in East Village.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

LA
“Great place for a solo woman”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've been in NYC quite a few times for work over the past six months, including a few evenings when I arrived on the later side, checked into my Times Square hotel, and then immediately headed out for something to eat. I've now had three dinners at Yakitori Totto, and every meal has been enjoyable. Int the colder months, I had to wait for a place at the counter, but on my most recent trip I arrived around 8pm and took a counter seat immediately. As a solo woman, I prefer places with counter seating - - especially when they have good food. The chicken meatballs (tsukune) are wonderful. I've enjoyed the tsukune both with the salt preparation and with the sauce preparation. The tofu salad, covered with a tangle of slivered scallions and shiso leaves, is delicious. The shisito yakitori with a smear or miso paste has just enough heat. The special eel yakitori, when they have it, is melt in your mouth fabulous. In the winter months, the soup offerings are also a good choice. Can't wait to go back again soon!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Why the hype?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've heard good things about this place & tried twice before to get in when I happened to be in the neighborhood. Both times, it was a long wait. I went elsewhere. So when I was again in the neighborhood on a rare late (10pm) night outing this week, I tried my luck. No wait! Yes!

Hostess seated us 2 at the bar closest to the door even though there were tables available inside. I didn't press for a table-- perhaps they were anticipating a late night crowd. Our server was not the friendliest. Rushed us to order, then gave us the stare down when we asked how many skewer came with each yakitori order. At those high prices, you would think it can be more than 1 skewer. No. This is midtown. Fine.

We ordered a bunch of dishes. The food was good, but not exceptional. I've had better yakitori in NYC before for much less. I also noticed when you order cold beverages, you would get about 4 sips in before you realize your plastic cups is left with a full cup of ice. So we basically paid $3 for a cup of ice.

Our server rushed us through our meal by taking our plates as soon as they were partially emptied. Sufficency? Maybe. Then he also took my napkin before I asked for the check. Didn't ask if we wanted dessert and gave us the check. When I asked to split it in half credit-half cash, he looked at me like I grew a second head. Our meal ended up about $50 per person. We walked out barely full. I vowed never to return and was thoroughly disappointed. Not quite sure why this place is so popular and exclusive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vista, CA
“Great, great, great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I've started scheduling all my visits to NYC with a trip here. The food is great and I have always had good service. I really like the different 'parts' on this menu. Hearts, gizzards, and the like! All of it taste good. I've started venturing into more of the grilled veggies here and all of it is excellent. Finally, great choice of sake.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“A Tasty and Fun Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I ventured out to try this little hole in the wall and had such a fun and delicious dining experience. Restaurant is small. We were happy to sit at the bar to be close to all the action. Very busy place and there was a line to some extent from the moment we arrived. Staff was helpful and pleasant. I am an adventurous eater, my sister is not. I was so happy when she came out of her dining comfort zone and tried the yakitori chicken hearts...they were delicious! As was the cheese and the pork with scallions and ponzu sauce. Everything we ordered was tasty and we ordered a lot! The sake can be pricey but they are very generous with it so you won't be disappointed. Would and will return on our next visit to NYC.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere