“Great food / service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loeb Boathouse

Loeb Boathouse
Central Park Lake, (at 74th Street), New York City, NY 10021 (Manhattan)
212 517 2233
Sydney, Australia
11 attraction reviews
“Great food / service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Such a shame about the very loud and abusive protestors as we entered and left the restaurant. Despite that, it was very quiet and private inside and they did not interfere with enjoyment of our meal. Food was very tasty (I had tuna mignon and my partner had fillet mignon - latter could be cut with a butter knife), wine a little expensive and service really efficient - only fly in the ointment is our wine hadn't arrived when the appetiser had, but only a minor point. Would highly recommend restaurant if you can get past the noisy protestors. Also don't be put off by the chap handing out maps at the Central Park gates with 'Boathouse on strike" - they are in fact very much open.

Visited September 2011

Haugesund, Norway
“Striking workers outside, this place has got problems”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I usually visit this place for drinks when in NYC. The food is okay, but you pay for the location. There is usually a great ambience, in a wonderful setting. This time we had drinks outside by the lake. There was a terrible commotion going on outside the premises, people drumming and chanting slogans, with strikers obviously trying to dissuade potential customers from going in. Police officers, squad cars...it was surrealistic. This place is usually an oasis of conservative, stuffy charm, full of Gant clad brokers. I asked the manager to fill me in. He told me that 70% of those protesting outside had never worked at the Boathouse, and that the unions were creating trouble for their own purposes. When we left I was crassly verbally abused by protesters standing by the door. They admitted they had never worked there but explained the kind of treatment several workers had received at the hands of the management. Now, I don't like being told what to think, and certainly don't appreciate being verbally abused by total strangers, by doing so they didn't further their cause in my eyes. But there are obviously serious worker's violations at the Boathouse that need to be addressed. The allegations against the management are grave. I certainly won't be back, too much hassle.

Visited September 2011
Buffalo, New York
41 attraction reviews
“Ready to ignore the employees who are on strike?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Reservations not withstanding, we chose not to eat here because we learned of the strike upon arriving in Central Park. Read the literature and decide if you can enjoy your meal after learning about management. We ended up at a much nicer restaurant, for less money.

Visited August 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
10 attraction reviews
“great spot for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

this is a really cute place to grab lunch after a nice afternoon in the park. be prepared to wait a bit. my husband and i went at about 2:30 in the afternoon and had to wait 35 minutes, but found seats at the bar which meant we didnt have to wait. good thing because we were starving. after walking around the city all day and through the park quite a bit, we were ready for a great lunch. this place is kind of expensive but totally worth the experience. we were eating an early dinner that night so we split something since it was about 3pm when we ate anyway. the bartenders seemed to be busy but still couldve been a bit more attentive, but i dont let things like that ruin my lunch or my experience. after we ate we walked to the right, outside of the restaraunt, and rented a rowboat for an hour. i was so glad we did this. it was such a fun time and so relaxing!! this is abut the only place in central park to eat, other than the street food stands. i would absolutely go back :)

Visited July 2011
New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
“Great place, great salmon and crab cake but did not like the salad!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Very nice ambience, beautiful views!!! For starter I've order the summer mixed greens salad so as 2 other people in our party. The salad tasted horrible. My husband ordered the crab cake and it was divine!!! For main entree, I've order the salmon which was delicious and my husband order the steak which was also really tender!!! We would definetly go back but not have the salad... :). Price for both of us with only one desert and we shared a bottle of wine between 6 people = $170.00 for the couple