“Stumbled Upon This Excellent Place” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,431 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ocala, Florida
“Stumbled Upon This Excellent Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Tourists, looking for a nice place in Little Italy. We stumbled across Florio's last Monday because they had a brass band playing outside. For no reason, that was enough for us to pick it for dinner.

Good choice. Apparently, Florio's had just reopened two days earlier after a couple changes of ownership and the original owners now have it back.

Bottom line, everything was perfect. Our waiter was one of the owners and although he was quite busy he still provided attentive and competent service. [In fact, there was confusion on one appetizer where the "wrong" one was served. Whether because of a classic miscommunication or Alzheimer's Moment will never be known but the correct dish was quickly brought out and we were never charged for the wrong one.]

I'm not going to list the dishes but all of the meals were excellent. We were craving an authentic Italian dinner and we got it.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Brooklyn
“The original family ownership is back and the bar is open!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I ate here when I was 9 in 1974 and never stopped coming back! I am pleased to say I ate at the grand re-opening this Monday night. The chef is back, Larry's brothers Steve and Ralph are too along with the wait staff.

The bar is stocked and opened the food is as stellar as it has always been. Homemade pasta, deserts and fresh ingredients. The vibe is the nice family owned feeling like when the boys dad was alive and running the place.

This is the best casual Little Italy establishment, the food consistently satisfies, the staff is like family. Even if you just want a pizza it is thin crusted and tasty. Even though I do not eat fried food on a regular basis the fried calamari is amazing, also the fried calzone is also amazing! There is not a thing on the menu that I have not tried, the chicken scarparello and Marsala are my personal favorites. The broccoli rabe is always perfect never bitter, the homemade pasta always fresh. Also I am not a desert eater but the cannoli which is homemade is awesome. I am not a tiramisu fan at all this is the only one I will ever eat!

A must try if you want Italian food.

• Visited December 2012
New York
“A true hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

florios isn't your typical tourist trap and it used to be one of the only places a cigar lover could get a meal and a smoke. No longer an option but they still sell fine cigars and have great food.
I hade their baked meatball calzone and when this sucker comes out you are amazed at its size. GF had the chicken parm and loved her dinner. Service wasnt horrible but it also wasnt the best for the place being empty but it is one of those places you go to cause you know it and you like it. we enjoyed our time there and our food. i would go back anytime.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans
“A Very Good Choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is the second time in 7 years that I ate here. A true Italian restaurant.

Visited June 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“Old-school, authentic Italian, reasonably priced (for Manhattan)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

A friend took us here in a recent NYC trip. I had a craving for good Italian pasta and this place delivered. The food (fettuccine Alfredo) was made from scratch, very rich, and tasted great, portions were just right. Ambiance of the place is pretty informal and comfortable. They have a HUGE menu - it was tough picking just one thing. All four of us were very satisfied with the place. It was nice to get good food without feeling like you've been had by an overpriced NYC tourist-trap restaurant.

• Visited May 2012