“Day before I left” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Murphy's Pub

Murphy's Pub
977 2nd Avenue, New York City, NY 10022-6303 (Manhattan)
212 751 5400
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Neighborhood: Manhattan
“Day before I left”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

As it was my first visit here very good location ideal for tourist as it was down the block from my hotel

Very good and helpful bar staff. With a great selection of international and locally sourced beers be back soon

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bridport, United Kingdom
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stumbled across this place on Christmas night, looking for some where open and cheaper than the hotel. It was an excellent find. The food is reasonable, the service excellent and the staff very welcoming. In fact we made it our local for our very short stay. Thank you to Conor and the rest of the bar staff for making our visits so enjoyable. You kept us fed, watered and informed and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Probably for me, finding this place was one of the highlights of our first visit to New York.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Best bar in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I admit I'm 100% biased. Used to drink in here 20 years ago when I lived 50th and 2nd. There were loads of bars to choose from but this is the one we chose. 20 years later nothing much has changed only Tony now owns it rather than being behind the bar. The area's seems to have gone upmarket but Murphy's is still Murphy's; not necessarily everyone's ideal but perfect for me; a warm welcome and a fine pint at a sensible price. Love it; long may it continue.

• Visited June 2013
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
“Good beer, poor service, bland food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were looking for a pub near the 53rd/Lexington subway station and this popped up on our phone. The posted menu looked authentic as did the exterior of the restaurant. We were greeted by the hostess at the door and seated right away. This was 9pm on a Friday night and there were only four people at the bar and no other diners at tables. Despite the empty place, we decided to stay because the atmosphere was a typical pub and that's what we wanted. Our order was taken right away, I got the reuben (recommended by the waitress) and it was delivered promptly. That's when everything went down hill. The bread was soggy, the reuben sauce tasted like bland mayo, and the sauerkraut had NO flavor. The meat was good and the fries were very fresh and crispy. As we were eating, I noticed that our hostess / waitress and the kitchen cook both sat down with meals of their own. I had to get up to ask the bartender for a second beer and then, again, for the check. We were never asked if we needed anything or if the food was satisfactory.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Raheny,Dublin,Ireland
“Excellent food and the staff are brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This bar is my favourite anywhere. The first thing I do when I arrive in New York is head for murphys. Great staff and gorgeous crispy bacon burgers

• Visited February 2013