“Adequate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of McGee's Pub & Restaurant

McGee's Pub & Restaurant
240 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019-5201 (Midtown)
212 957 3536
Neighborhood: Midtown
Chesham, UK
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

To Mcgee's pub and restaurant just north of Times Square.

Nothing wrong with it, pleasant enough staff, wholesome tasty food, good range of beers. Rated A for cleanliness.

But, for us, too expensive for what it was. We think you can eat as well more cheaply in that area or better for similar prices.

So we won't be going back. A shame, but price plays a great part nowdays.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“The perfect friendly 'local' for any NYC visitor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We felt compelled to write this review on our iPad from the bar of McGees - so strong is our love for this bar we met a mere 3 days ago!
We first heard about McGees when we were hunting around for Trivia nights in the city and heard about their legendary quiz nights (Friends, How I Met Your Mother - on which the bar is based!! - Sex and The City, etc...) and being huge Friends fans we signed up immediately. We were relegated to the waiting list (seriously, this is a popular bar!) so on our first day in NYC we popped in to see if we could 'sweet talk' our way into the game. Thank god for Joy! The lovely bar woman who made a few calls and wangled us a place. We can't rate the trivia nights highly enough but best of all, we found our official 'local' for the rest of our trip! Two days later, we're on first name basis with most of the staff and have a couple of bar stools we now call our own - whether its a glass of wine at the beginning of the night before we head off for dinner, or a nightcap at the end of the evening. You won't find a friendlier, more charming little joint in all of midtown. Check it out immediately.

Visited September 2013
San Francisco, California
“Great Neighborhood Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stopped by for a beer and made some new friends. The price was right, and the beer was cold. Just around the corner from The Moderne Hotel. Thanks for making me feel at home!

Visited September 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Nice pub and decent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great selection of pints in a great location. Food was good with all the pub classics and at everyday prices that everyone can afford.

Visited August 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I did come here just because it's the inspiration for the bar in HIMYM, so I was pretty excited to be there. There are some HIMYM themed items on the menu, such as "the best burger in New York", which I was going to try, but instead I went with the sliders. I did wonder if I should see if the best burger lived up to its name, but if it was anything like the sliders it would have been great, as they tasted really good. There are a few HIMYM pictures on the wall, though not much else related to the show - if it was me I would hang up a blue French horn or something, and I did look towards the coat hooks in the corner, in the hopes of seeing a yellow umbrella! I didn't even realise there were HIMYM themed drinks until just now when I read someone else's review. It was still a pretty cool place to go to though, and the food tasted great.

Visited August 2013