“Very quiet in the back townhouses and awesome location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of West Eleventh Historic Townhouse Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
West Eleventh Historic Townhouse Apartments
278 West 11th Street, between West 4th and Bleecker Streets, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #36 of 97 New York City B&B and Inns
“Very quiet in the back townhouses and awesome location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011 via mobile

Hosts were very accommodating when my flight arrived outside
of normal check in time due to snow storm.
Location is right near magnolia bakery and Greenwich village shopping street. Literally 20 seconds walk.
Size of townhouse was great, especially by NYC standards.
Toaster oven was dirty when I arrived and I pointed this out but it was never cleaned throughout the whole week that I was there. Also bath / shower could have been cleaned better. Perhaps daily service does not include this? But each day new towels arrived and bed was made. Since I was there nearly a week bed linen was changed during my stay.
Overall I was very happy there.
One tip for anyone booking more than 2 months in advance. The terms and conditions on the web site say that these bookings are subject to special payment conditions which are supposed to be provided when requesting the booking. I was not provided with this and after paying a rather large deposit was then told I had to pay the balance within a week or I would lose my deposit. This seemed very sneaky and made me very nervous since I was relying only on the Internet information and could have been dealing with a dodgy company. Given that I was staying nearly a week the sum of money was quite substantial and I had originally budgeted to pay the balance on arrival as was stated in the t&c's. When I pointed out via email that this was misleading I was told that it is the conditions of bookings 2 months or more in advance and I could have a refund of my deposit and cancel my booking if I wished. Even though I was still uncomfortable with the approach I went ahead and everything went fine. The drawback is that once you have booked and prepaid you are locked in and can't get your money back if you change your plans. This is not like all other accommodation options at hotels which have various cancellation options that don't break the bank. I understand that W.E. is a private type property so they need to cover themselves. I dare say they can also do it because they are quite unique and in such a great spot. So just make sure you are sure of your dates before paying any money and you will be fine.

O

• Stayed November 2011

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I booked a room for a client....on the check in day he was running a bit late from the airport. The hotel called to check on his arrival and said that he didn't show up soon that they were "not going to accept him and that he could make other plans." After an hour of chasing down my client and trying to convince the hotel that he was on his way, they finally said it was not possible and hung up the phone on me. I made another hotel reservation and THEN received an email from the hotel confirming MY cancellation and that they would then charge my card for the whole stay. Unbelievable. I work in the fashion industry and have booked hotels all over the world and have never been treated so horribly by a hotel. I can't comment on the actual hotel itself, I'm sure its a decent stay, but I would never book here again based on how we were treated by the front desk (a man named Hercules). Even if they did have an issue with our guest arriving late, they should have tried to help, not turn it around and blame it on me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We spent 6 lovely days in NYC. The location ow the townhouse is perfect: 200m to the best burgers in town (spotted pig), 300m for a great cappucinio (west eleventh caffee), 250m to eatgranola and yogurt for breakfast (doma). The service was good, the appartment spacious.

Room Tip: The stairs to get to the rooms in the top floor are quite steep.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was our fourth visit to New York and the first time we stayed in the Village rather than in Midtown Manhattan. Apart from my wife and our adult daughter we were accompanied by an elderly friend (the trip was a present for his 75th birthday). Instead of the anonymous surroundings of a hotel, I had looked for accommodation with more character and had decided on West Eleventh. I had rented the Leonardo Jr suite for our friend and the El Greco apartment for my wife, my daughter and myself. During high season West Eleventh have a policy of a minimum five-night stay. We were only four nights in New York but I was able to make an arrangement with the owners to pay for five nights but to get reimbursed if the accommodation could be rebooked for the fifth night. This was the case for El Greco and the owners were perfectly honest about this and did not charge me; for Leonardo Jr I paid for the full five nights.

The house is beautifully located in an attractive and quiet street but close to restaurants and shopping areas (Bleecker Street is literally round the corner). There are two subway stations nearby: 14th Street on the 1/2/3 lines is about 5 minutes' walk, and 8th Avenue on the L/A/C/E is 8 to 10 minutes' walk. The latter takes slightly longer to get to but is more convenient for connections. There are plenty of good places for breakfast nearby (you get a list of these and a map at the house).

The Leonardo Junior Suite is located on the ground floor. It is not huge but at 35 square meters it is definitely more spacious than the average hotel room in a major city. The room is comfortable (the TV and the A/C unit are getting on in years though) and in this quiet neighbourhood the location at the front of the house is not a problem. There is one drawback however, which is not mentioned on the website: access to the room is via the owners' living room. This did not bother us in practice as the owners were rarely present, but I can imagine that many people may feel somewhat uncomfortable with this setup.
The two-bedroom El Greco apartment where we stayed with our daughter is two flights up (and in these large old houses climbing stairs is serious business). The furniture is old - as it should be in these surroundings - but in a very good state. The bathroom is modern and well equipped and the apartment has a fridge, flat-screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The bedrooms and the bathroom were kept impeccably clean by the cleaning lady who comes in every day. The public areas, such as the stairways, were a little less clean but nothing that an extra run with the vacuum cleaner will not solve (although the rolled-up carpet lying against the wall on the third-floor landing was a bit of an eyesore).

Many reviews of West Eleventh complain about the standards of service. We did have one conflict with the manager - more on that below - but on the whole our experience was positive. About an hour before your planned time of arrival you have to phone a "roving concierge" who will be at the house to receive you. In our case this was an extremely kind young lady, I think her name was Iolantha, who took her time to show and explain to us everything we needed to know about the house and the area. Everything was done with a smile and she deserves five stars for service. The not-so-pleasant experience involved the manager (Eva): as we had paid for five nights and therefore were entitled to use Leonardo Jr until the morning after our departure, we had decided to leave our luggage there and come and pick it up in the afternoon before leaving for the airport. However the manager insisted that we would have to leave our suitcases in the hall, since this was the "policy"; keys would have to be returned at 10:30 AM (totally inconvenient for us as every morning we went out before 9). Having paid for the room we flatly refused to surrender it a day early. To be honest: we later saw the owner and he was perfectly courteous about it and found it quite normal that we would use the room to store our luggage, so this was probably just a case of an overzealous manager.

One word of warning (which has nothing to do with the house or the service): if, like our friend and me, you stand outside waiting for someone and you decide to sit down on the railings surrounding the tree in front of the house next door (nr. 280): DON'T!! Although there is no sign of any kind this is claimed as private property by the inhabitant of nr. 280, who is a rude, hysterical and ex*tre*me*ly aggressive old man. This is obviously no fault of the owners but I thought it might be useful that they would know about it - perhaps they could let the formidable Eva have a go at this fellow ;-)

Room Tip: Higher floors are challenging because of stairs. If elderly and/or not in good physical shape, take...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We just spent 4 lovely days in NYC. The location of the townhouse couldn't be better. We were in the Monet room, which was spacious, however a bit outdated. Pretty decent so far. The only request we had for the owners, who we hadn't seen at all yet, was to be able to leave our luggage until 8 pm on our day of departure as we had a late flight back to Europe. At other NY guesthouses this had never been a problem. At West 11th we almost had to beg them to hold our things until 6. Maybe no big deal, but considering the price, we were very disappointed in the lack of service. Will we go back? No, next time we'll go to Incentra guesthouse around the corner again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in the Leonardo Junior Suite for a week earlier this year. Our suite was just wonderful... the bed was truly the most comfortable I've ever slept in (much appreciated following a long flight from the UK!). You can't beat the location either, literally in the heart of beautiful Greenwich Village. We really hope to return here soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

It's pretty perfect - I'd give it five stars if it were a little cheaper, but good accommodation in NYC does not come cheaply. The location is idal if you want to explore the downtown area. My wife, sister & I spent 3 nights in the El Greco apt. The single room is rather small - and more suited for a young child. But we were very happy with our stay and would recommend it highly. AND we bumped into jazz legend Bill Frisell outside on the pavement, having seen him play the night before in the Blue Note Club!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to West Eleventh Historic Townhouse Apartments? Share your experiences!