“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Essex House

Essex House
160 Central Park S, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
(212) 247-0300
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

The Essex House, across the street from Central Park South is a magnificent hotel. With dire warnings about New York hotels being run down and only having rooms the size of broom closets, we could not have been more elated when the bell-boy opened the door to a large luxurious room that was spotless and included bath-robes. We got a fantastically lucky deal through Expedia which was close to half price. This is a 5-star establishment with exceptional service and supreme comfort. The location is just as impressive. A subway station is around the corner but we found that Times Square was only a 10 minute walk away and the Museum of Natural History 15 minutes. We would definitely return, though at full price that would be more difficult. If you can afford it or if you can get a deal, this would have to be one of the best hotels in New York.

• Visited October 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
CT
“a great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

Visited with my teenage daughter over one of the coldest weekends in NYC. Having lived in NYC for many years I have always admired this hotel and finally was lucky enough to stay. The staff was outstanding, friendly, very helpful and professional. We drove from CT and the car was valet parked nearby. We were offered a room upgrade upon arrival but declined because we wanted two double beds. They inquired if we wanted a newspaper and I gladly accepted. Arriving late and considering the single-digit temps we ordered room service, which arrived promptly and was delicious. The beds were very comfortable and the room was lovely. The best towels and robes and also toiletries. Spent the day at the Armory for my daughter’s track meet, saw a play and had a bite to eat near Lincoln Center. Arrived back at the hotel tired and cold so was glad to be back in our comfy room. The next morning I grabbed a taxi to a yoga workshop while my daughter did some walking around Central Park. She said the doormen were so very helpful and remembered her from the day before, inquired about her track meet and made her smile! They are the best! We had a late check out and our luggage was stored while we walked to the Time Warner Center, Whole Foods for lunch, then back to the hotel. The only snags were that our room had a few phone calls from the front desk, intended for someone else. Not sure what happened but the problem was corrected within a few hours. Also our room service breakfast order was not picked up but that turned out fine. And lastly we waited about 20 minutes for the car to be returned to the hotel by the garage personnel but, once again, that was fine since we enjoyed relaxing in the lobby a few extra minutes. We will surely visit again. No complaints from me, only thanks to the staff for a very relaxing and gracious weekend.

london
“Better off staying in a Tent.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

If you are impressed by touch screen telephones, HD TV and movement sensitive lighting this hotel could be for you.

However, if you expect any sort of service such as housekeeping (takes an hour), room service (too busy to take orders) or the concierge (maybe I needed to make an appointment, because they could only speak to me in one word answers) you are better off staying at a different hotel, hostel or tent. The service at this hotel is so poor that it is nonexistent.

Your tired, you get off a plane, get to your luxury hotel ready to relax. Instead you stand in line, with a scrum of people in front of you, for at least 20 minutes to check in. At the Essex house you need patience as you have this delay at check-in, check out and every time your key stops working.

For Room service you wait, and wait, and wait and then get put on hold. Perhaps take you own food supply. It is certainly much quicker to walk to a restaurant.

I needed directions to get to a meeting. The only way I could this done was to go the un-manned business (then return to my room to get my credit card) and pay U$22. No way could they bring this to my room and in retrospect I probably couldn't have afforded this.

The central park position was great but my room looked out over a parking lot.

The rooms are a masterpiece of technology. The movement sensitive lights go on and off without explanation. Also beware of the hardwood surround on the divan. If you need the loo at night and can’t get the lights to work you can really hurt your shins. Trust me I have the bruises !

The breakfast at the hotel maybe good, I dont know. But It was nice of them to bill me for it even though it didn’t go near restaurant or manage to get an order through to room service.

If you want to know what it feels like to be mugged near cenrtral park, stay at the Essex house !

At U$450 / night you can find better (at U$100 you could probably find better).

miami, fl
“Lovely, Elegant Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Essex House has unique style and elegance. I did not pay the current retail rate as I had a corporate discount and I would prefer a larger room for the retail rates but the view out to Central Park is romantic. The bathroom was very comfortable and fairly large. My room was somewhat small but large for Manhattan hotel room standards. The chic decor enhances one's stay- even the elevators are art deco pieces with gold doors. The staff is entirely polite and unobtrusive. Very professional.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My favorite brunch spot...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

My favorite brunch spot but its always crowded.