“Great Example of the Perennial New York Diner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Flame

Red Flame
67 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036-6613 (Manhattan)
212 869 3965
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,149 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Manhattan
London
“Great Example of the Perennial New York Diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

In virtually each of the past ten years, my wife and I have stayed in the Penn Club in 44th Street during our annual visit to New York, and every day during each of our visits we have breakfasted in the Red Flame near the Algonquin Hotel. By now, most of the staff know us and greet us warmly each year. In the midst of busy midtown New York, it is possible to find the comfort, ease and character that readers of American literature and habitués of American movies expect from the traditional American diner - where breakfast is often the best meal of the day. If you're ever staying in the City, anywhere east of Times Square between 40th and 48th, you can count on a great example of the usual variety of American diner food and service at the Red Flame. You'll find it's a great start to your day in the City that never sleeps - and it's there if you need it any other time of day with friendliness and dependability. It's part of the great charm of a great City.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
The Villages, Florida
“High End Diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Corner of 6th Avenue and 44th, this is a very clean spacious diner. Was very surprised to see the turnover at this place. So many people coming and going, mostly tourists around 8 am. Price a bit high for a diner since food was the usual breakfast but for NYC and a clean place, it was enjoyable. Liked their sausage but not the home fries. Thought the latter was bland. These days coffee at the diner is real. Used to be brown colored water in a thick white cup. Didn't know what cappuccino or espresso was but those diners are gone. In a way, kind of miss it at least in NYC.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“My favorite spot for breakfast, lunch, or coffee and dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Usually this diner is my first stop after checking into my hotel. Good menu, clean facility, good food, good service, convenient...my opinion of a hidden gem. I've been a customer for years and hope this place never changes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Troy, Michigan
“Reasonable and Conveniet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The food is very good, especially the breakfast food. Fresh squeezed orange juice and fast, friendly service. Open late...great hours. Wonderful diner.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cleveland, Ohio
“diner food near times square”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We arrived at 11:15 and got seated promptly. The menu was basically American fare and a huge selection. The only issue was that we were rushed to place our order and they did not close until midnight. I went on Friday night..it was around the corner from my hotel. I believe someone came in with what I thought was enough time to be seated but was told they were no longer seating but could order a meal for takeout. Also the owner I think he was the owner came back to my table to clear some of our dishes and reached across my plate to get my soup bowl no excuse me or anything. He was not to chipper..I chalked this up to maybe this what we sometimes think a new Yorker would act like.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere