“Great Property---if you remove all the people there” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Room Mate Grace

You added Room Mate Grace to your Saves list
Room Mate Grace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #261 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great Property---if you remove all the people there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

The Room was spacious, two of us stayed in a triple room that had an overhead bunkbed. I had stayed at this hotel when it used to be under different management and was called Hotel QT about 5 years ago.

I guess I've aged, and the clientele hasn't. They still throw pool parties, which I personally think put a damper on things in the hotel. I couldn't help but roll my eyes a little every time i passed the pool (elevators right in front of the pool bar).

The service itself was average for being a hotel in New York, but below average for the price we were paying. It took them a day to fix the phone and light bulb in our room. And checking in took forever. Like f o r e v e r.

Maid service came knocking on our door at 8.30am. EIGHT THIRTY. Who does that? When we didn't answer, they opened up saw us sleeping and said they'd come back later. Well, yeah, it's only 8am. Maid service came back again later and then asked if we wanted our room clean... I mean all this before 10am. I found that a bit too much. However, it only happened our first morning there (We stayed a total of 3 nights).

The walls are THIN. The room next door was loud and we could hear them in the hallway and outside their door.

There was a young man behind the front desk that was very nonchalant in answering questions we had. We were worried about the yellow cabs not being able to store all our luggage (We had 4 big suitcases), he didn't even bother to offer us different car services ie. town cars, suvs. He just said "don't worry about it, it'll fit".

Well,
1. It didn't fit.
2. Do your job and give me my options.

It's almost sad, the property is great, the rooms are fun and funky. But man, the people just ruin it. And the wifi is like... a huge joke. Thank goodness it was free. That's probably why it wasn't working half the time.

I'd love to give it another chance, because I do have fond memories of it, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it's just targeted to a much younger demographic (I'm not even 30 yet!) and the service has just gone down hill.

We stayed at the Muse earlier part of our trip, and I think I'll be sticking with that from now on.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
Seoul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

The best thing about this hotel is proximity to Time square for relatively low price. I & my friends had very good time there, and it was so convinient to go out and get in. But I wish TV in my room to get fixed, because a thick vertical black line on screen bothered us during watching TV.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

We stayed in Grace for 8 days and it was fantastic - we had a room on the 15th floor - perfect - high enough up to miss the noise of being in the heart of the city.The hotel is positioned on 45th Street between 6th and 7th Avenuses - perfect for broadway and all of the other Manhattan attractions.Hotel itself was great small swimming pool with a swim up bar - perfect place to relax tired feet and legs, good music and a little gym - ideal. The breakfast room on our first morning seemed a little daunting - self service - but once we found our way around the various stations, the standard was terrific. Lots of chatter etc a great way to meet and make new friends. We loved it and if this is the standard of Room Mate hotels we will certainly use them again on our travels.

Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

This hotel had an amazing location (right in time square), a really trendy bar/pool area and awesome free breakfast, BUT our room was extremely hot! We complained to the staff daily and they stated it was fixed but it was never any cooler than about 80 degrees in the room. The maintenance guy said he would bring us a portable a/c unit after his fourth visit to our room and never returned. i called the front desk and they said there were no fans available (they were all being used). i would have said this was one amazing hotel if we had just been able to sleep comfortably..... Suchs to sweat all night on your vacation!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

We stayed six nights at Grace and were very satisfied over our stay. We hade some great expectations due to mostly positive reviews here at Trips, and we thought the gave us the correct picture over the hotel.

The rooms were stylish and pretty small, but with many smart solutions for storing suitcases, etc. Large bathroom. We stayed at the 14th floor and hade no problems with noise. Though, you could hear the traffic outside, but it wasn't disturbing.

The breakfast was actually very good - they had almost everything you wanted so we were pleased, especially as it was included in the room rate.

The hotel is very convenient situated near the Times Square where almost every subway line are crossed which make the location very good for sightseeing around Manhattan and Brooklyn.

You must go to the Meatpacking District and have dinner or a drink at both Spice Market and Pastis. Don't forget the Highline too, a garden made around some rail tracks situated ten meters up in the air.

We were also very satisfied with the staff - the were all friendly and informative.

We would like to recommend Room mate Grace for mostly all travelers that would like to have some extra bucks for drinking and eating, instead of expensive hotels.

Philly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

A recent trip to NYC reminded me that I never got around to reviewing Room mate Grace. I tried to get a room here again, but the hotel was booked. I really wish I had been successful. Room mate Grace is a great value in a convenient location. The rooms are spacious and a free breakfast is included. I will definitely try to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

Incredible location in Times Square, with pool and breakfast!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Room Mate Grace? Share your experiences!