“Central in the city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Room Mate Grace

Save Saved
You added Room Mate Grace to your Saves list
Room Mate Grace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #241 of 452 hotels in New York City
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Central in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Great location and very easy to find - round the corner from Times Square - funky rooms and friendly staff. Pool has very groovy lighting ! Super Irish bar couple of doors away with buy two get one free !

Room Tip: All good -higher floor quiet if you want that in this city !
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1,796 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Turkish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We booked a 3 night stay in New York at the Room Mate Grace hotel and to be honest I didn't know what to expect.

On arrival it didn't look great as we were left to struggle with our bags through a tiny revolving door as staff looked on. Also, the lobby, check-in area is small as is most of the hotel but on a strange level it had an appeal which I couldn't put my finger on. Check-in was problem free and when we arrived back in the hotel after dropping off the hire car we were greeted more pleasantly. I put the initial reception down to the fact they were busy and not generally staffed like a mainstream hotel chain.

Rooms were strangely laid out but no different to that portrayed on the website. Showers were good and powerful although the bathroom did lack a degree of privacy. No real shakes here though. Some rooms we saw were a bit too small though without enough room to open suitcases etc. This is however common in NYC where space is at a premium.

The pool was a nice touch, and rare in NYC, after a hard day pounding the sidewalks. I couldn't help feel the hotel could have made more of it with the adjacent swim up bar which always seemed closed during the day and early evening.

Overall the stay was a good one and for the money the Room Mate Grace offered good value. The hotels location is superb for discovering New York on foot being close to Times Square in the middle of Manhattan. Some good bars and restaurants are within easy walking distance. Hotel was quirky and a nice change to the normal chains.

One criticism is that I received an unsigned letter from the hotel on my last day indicating that had anything not been satisfactory then I should tell them - not an online review site. This I find particularly annoying as I am not employed as the hotels QA and really they should ensure everything was Ok before I arrived so I didn't have to complain that the television and iron didn't work. A quick check of the rooms/appliances whilst cleaning would have sorted this out before I even turned up. I don't want to spend my holiday e-mailing people re problems - there should be no problems!

Room Tip: I expect all rooms are noisy to a degree being in the centre of New York. I'd try and get a hig...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nothing like I expected. Small; in dire need of decoration; over priced and pokey. Was extremely disappointed as location is excellent but was expecting a more boutique-like establishment and this felt more like a hostel. Changed rooms as first one was too small for two adults, but second one was too run down to be comfortable.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The rooms are small, but the location is wonderful! The staff is very friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean. Don't let the low ceiling in the lobby fool you. The rooms are quite nice. Considering the price of other hotels in Time Square, this place is a deal!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed in this hotel last month for 3 nights in middle of July. One positive, this hotel is in a great location, times square is literally outside the front door and to the right.
On arrival, was given key to room, it wouldn't work, so had to go downstairs and key new key, again didnt work so had to give a heavy shoulder to enter the room, walked in and the bed wasn't made and it was untidy, I was in shock, but what made me even more shocked was that the reception had gave us the key for somebody else's room, as they still had their clothes in the wardrobes.
Upon informing reception, they seem perplexed almost hinting at us making a mistake, they gave us a new key for a new room and sent the cleaner up with us who confirmed the first room was indeed occupied.
The staff throughout were very 'wooden', not friendly, and not representative of american customer service which I had grown accustomed to during my visit.
The breakfast was majorly processed meats, individuals with limited English who continually and almost aggressively made me repeat what I was looking for, this process grew tedious.
The only pleasant member of staff was the concierge who helped me with my bags upon leaving, he was a gentleman, and from my experience the only decent staff member.
Won't be back on my next trip.

Room Tip: Make sure you are given a room which other guests are not occupying
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I travel to New York often and I try to book a different hotel each time. I came across Room Mate Grace and was first hesitant due to a few of the bad reviews online. I'm happy I don't believe everything I read! The bed was ridiculously comfortable. I admittedly had trouble waking up for my workshops in the morning. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious for a New York Hotel. Another plus was the breakfast. It wasn't that expensive (just over $10) and I could fill up on waffles and sausages. I found the staff to be nice and accommodating, they would greet me whenever I passed the front desk (small detail that's important to me). All in all, great experience. I'd book again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Expectations were not met.
Unfortunately were put in a room at the front of the building on the lowest floor. Were asked to be put on a higher floor at the back due to extreme street noise and had terrible attitude from staff at front.
Rooms are tiny. Didn't expect large rooms but barely had room for suitcases.
Wouldn't stay here again and would not recommend.
Only good thing was location. Right next to Times Square.
Will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed June 2014
AlvaroDiazMartos, Manager at Room Mate Grace, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I can say with confidence that we have a responsive and empathetic team here at Room Mate Grace Hotel, and we always try to do what we can to ensure that our guests have a satisfying experience.

Unfortunately, two of the things that we cannot change, in an effort to make your stay more enjoyable, is our location and the layout of our rooms.

Most of our guests enjoy staying at our Hotel because it is only steps away from Times Square. It allows them the opportunity to explore all that the city has to offer and then return to the Hotel for a nice rest, shower and breakfast.

If you ever do plan on booking with us again, because of the convenience, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Warmest regards,

Alvaro Diaz Martos
Assistant Hotel Director
Room Mate Grace Hotel New York

Been to Room Mate Grace? Share your experiences!