“Enjoyed it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Room Mate Grace

Save Saved
You added Room Mate Grace to your Saves list
Room Mate Grace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #228 of 451 hotels in New York City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Near to Times Square, good restaurants nearby. Staff was excellent and very helpful. We were there for Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the route was half a block away. As was Times Square. Street vendors nearby for food, and miscellaneous items. I gave average reviews to room service and kids' activities, only because there's not an "N/A" option. We didn't use them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

1,746 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Got a sweet 70% off deal through http://trivago.com for Room Mate Grace Hotel & couldn't pass it up.......we braved the NYC winter to come see Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen in WAITING FOR GODOT

Apparently, we also unknowingly braved NYC during Superbowl Weekend - which explained why prices were obscenely high - extra props to trivago!

Checking in, there is a nice, funky, club feel, acid-jazz music playing - kind of Jamiroquai-esque. There was a huge cooler behind the staff filled w/ all kinds of sodas or wines to bring back up to our room & a free water cooler w/ lemon-water

Location couldn't be beat - we were w/in 2-3 short blocks of all the theaters & Restaurant Row & cabs were aplenty

Rooms were likewise funky & totally reminded me of this super boutique hotel we had visited in Brighton, England. Black & white circular wallpaper ( peeling just a little ) & these dumbbell shaped wall sconces gave it a modern yet 60's mod feel. Very cool!

We were up on Floor 13 & well away from all the pool-bar-club-music & you'd never have known there were such frivolities going on right downstairs

Room was also super quiet - never heard a peep out of our neighbors

Queen bed was up on a platform but it provided nice back support. Pillows were just right. Their FREE WiFi was godawful slow - to the point I gave up & used the cellular network instead

Rain shower w/ lots of hot water but no light inside the shower so it was dark once the curtain was pulled - bath products were a nice citrus scent but the funky bottles were hard, little squares & kept all the liquid inside. This was a fashion over function moment but at least they offered, right!

Staff was over the top nice - not only do they offer free luggage storage but we had pastries to bring back to SF w/ us & they offered to store them in their fridge w/out us even thinking to ask!

We would totally make Room Mate Grace a top choice for our next NYC venture - location & customer service w/ a price that can't be beat!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hotel was hard to find , it seemed like every cop or person had no idea where it was. When we finally found it they had an parking lot across the street which they stated was not for the hotel which made NO sense at all. So they directed us to a parking lot on 44th which was nowhere to be found, we looked for about two hours!!!!!! However we finally found a parking lot which we found ourselves and WAS NOT that one they directed us to. We than arrived at the hotel after two hours looking for a parking lot. They offered know justice to my hard time looking for a parking lot that did not exist (it seemed) not to mention I traveled out of town.

Than we actually go to the room it's nothing like the internet pictures at all. It's small the room are like college dorm rooms. It had an horrible smell of chlorine from the pool throughout the hotel. The rooms were very dim the carpet was not to my liking and the beds had small tiny tvs installed in the wall. I WAS NOT IN ANYWAY SATISFIED OR COMFORTABLE. I went to the room and collected my funds back and left ! Waste of time

• Stayed February 2014
RoomMateHotels, Manager at Room Mate Grace, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear guest.

Thank you for taking your time to write such a candid review about your (stay) with us.

First of all, the parking that we have accross the street does not have an agreement with our property. If the owners of that parking do not consider making business with our property, there is nothing we can do. Of course, you could have gone there and pay the 90 dollars per 24hrs it costs. Since we try to accommodate our guests the best way possible, we reached an agreement with the parking Meyers, on 44th street, which is only 25 dollars per 24hrs. Due to the SuperBowl that weekend, all the streets were closed down, and that was the reason you could not find it. In normal days, our customers only take 5 minutes to get there.

Since I spoke to my team and they explained to me what happened, I am more than happy that you collected your funds and leave to another hotel. Guests like this is what we do not want in Room Mate Grace.

Kind Regards,

Stowe, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed two nights on a recent business trip. Staff was very helpful and received warm welcome at check-in, upgrade for having stayed there before. Great location for a Times Square visit. Hotel has discount parking arrangement on West 44th-a short distance. If you are looking for a lot of frills this hotel is not for you-if an affordable, clean, convenient NYC location is then a definite recommendation. Made use of the sauna and pool.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
RoomMateHotels, Manager at Room Mate Grace, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear guest.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a nice review about your stay.

As I always mention to my staff, Room Mate Hotels philosophy is to treat our customers like they are visiting a friends house. This is the kind of welcome we give our guests at check-in time and during their entire stay.

I am so happy to see that you had an upgrade because you are repeating with us!!I see you made use of our Pool, sauna and steam room too!!

Thank you for mentioning our agreement with Meyers Parking, because it is something we think our guests really value.

If you come back to Room Mate Grace, please contact our reservations department and they will make their best to accommodate you personally.

Canberra, AU
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week from Dec 31, 2013 to Jan 7, 2014.

The rooms at Room Mate Grace were pretty small, as is expected in NYC. However the rooms were cleverly designed so that the bed was slightly raised on a platform and we could slide our bags under the bed. This worked fine for us, but I guess the bed being raised could pose problems for older or less mobile guests.

I don't think all the rooms have this, but we actually had a small balcony in room 1301. There were iPhone docks and a small fridge. We had free Wi-Fi which on the whole worked pretty well. However there was a bit of a glitch where one device would work but another would not, until you took it down to Level 2 (the breakfast room) where you could always get a good signal. Then it would work fine up in the room.

There was an indoor pool downstairs near the lobby which we did not really use. Also a bar in the pool area which we never really worked out. It was open some nights but not others. Sometimes there seemed to be a private party in there - other times it was not open at all, or was open to hotel guests.

The hotel is very well located in West 45th Street, just half a block from Times Square. There are delis nearby such as the Cranberry Deli a few doors down where you can get breakfast and basically most things you'd want, 24/7, including beer and wine. Connolly's Irish Pub is next door.

The staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. They mainly seemed to be Spanish-speaking (I think the chain might be based in Spain) but were fluent in English as well. The room wasn't particularly cheap, but for NYC around NYE we figured it was reasonable value...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guests.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a candid review about your stay with us.

I would like to take the opportunity that TripAdvisor brings me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay related to our Free Wi-fi service. We have been upgrading all our antennas now and we are no longer experiencing problems from our guests. We know that this is a service that our guests really value and we want it always to be working properly.

I am so happy to see that you liked the room and that my staff was really helpful (the latter makes me even prouder). Room Mate Hotels philosophy is to treat our customers like our friends, so we make the effort to make them feel this way.

If you visit the city again please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will be more than glad to accommodate you the best way possible.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Room Mate Grace Hotel Managment Team.
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Love the rooms-cozy, spacious, comfortable, stylish. They had an indoor pool, i did not have the chance to use it this time but will be back to try it, looks amazing. Location is so convenient, and staff is helpful, efficiency of service can improve, otherwise i enjoyed my stay very much. thank you for the late check out too. price of room is so reasonable especially in NYC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest.

Thank you for taking your time to write such a nice review about your stay with us.

I am happy to see you enjoyed your visit to Room Mate Grace, next time do not hesitate to use our pool, especially after a day walking along the busy streets of New York. This amenity is really valued by our guests.

If you travel back to the city, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and suggest me what kind of service must be improved. I really would like to know because it is the only way our staff can learn from their mistakes.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Amazing location right by Times Square!

New and funky hotel - FREE Wi-Fi, clean rooms and certainly does the job. If you are looking more for location at a decent price this is definitely the place for you

Didn't bother with breakfast there as so many good places in NYC to eat

Tip: we requested a higher floor and couldn't hear any outside noise

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a nice review about your stay with us.

I see that you mention our FREE WI-FI, since in most of New York Hotels this amenity is not for free, we give this option to our guests complimentary, and it is something they highly value.

Next time do not miss our breakfast, we are upgrading it with new products like sausages and waffles!

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will make sure you are accommodated the best way possible.

Room Mate Grace Hotel Management Team.

Been to Room Mate Grace? Share your experiences!