“Great location...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Room Mate Grace

Save Saved
You added Room Mate Grace to your Saves list
Room Mate Grace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #241 of 452 hotels in New York City
Canberra, AU
“Great location...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week from Dec 31, 2013 to Jan 7, 2014.

The rooms at Room Mate Grace were pretty small, as is expected in NYC. However the rooms were cleverly designed so that the bed was slightly raised on a platform and we could slide our bags under the bed. This worked fine for us, but I guess the bed being raised could pose problems for older or less mobile guests.

I don't think all the rooms have this, but we actually had a small balcony in room 1301. There were iPhone docks and a small fridge. We had free Wi-Fi which on the whole worked pretty well. However there was a bit of a glitch where one device would work but another would not, until you took it down to Level 2 (the breakfast room) where you could always get a good signal. Then it would work fine up in the room.

There was an indoor pool downstairs near the lobby which we did not really use. Also a bar in the pool area which we never really worked out. It was open some nights but not others. Sometimes there seemed to be a private party in there - other times it was not open at all, or was open to hotel guests.

The hotel is very well located in West 45th Street, just half a block from Times Square. There are delis nearby such as the Cranberry Deli a few doors down where you can get breakfast and basically most things you'd want, 24/7, including beer and wine. Connolly's Irish Pub is next door.

The staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. They mainly seemed to be Spanish-speaking (I think the chain might be based in Spain) but were fluent in English as well. The room wasn't particularly cheap, but for NYC around NYE we figured it was reasonable value...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RoomMateHotels, Manager at Room Mate Grace, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear guests.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a candid review about your stay with us.

I would like to take the opportunity that TripAdvisor brings me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay related to our Free Wi-fi service. We have been upgrading all our antennas now and we are no longer experiencing problems from our guests. We know that this is a service that our guests really value and we want it always to be working properly.

I am so happy to see that you liked the room and that my staff was really helpful (the latter makes me even prouder). Room Mate Hotels philosophy is to treat our customers like our friends, so we make the effort to make them feel this way.

If you visit the city again please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will be more than glad to accommodate you the best way possible.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Room Mate Grace Hotel Managment Team.

1,794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Love the rooms-cozy, spacious, comfortable, stylish. They had an indoor pool, i did not have the chance to use it this time but will be back to try it, looks amazing. Location is so convenient, and staff is helpful, efficiency of service can improve, otherwise i enjoyed my stay very much. thank you for the late check out too. price of room is so reasonable especially in NYC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest.

Thank you for taking your time to write such a nice review about your stay with us.

I am happy to see you enjoyed your visit to Room Mate Grace, next time do not hesitate to use our pool, especially after a day walking along the busy streets of New York. This amenity is really valued by our guests.

If you travel back to the city, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and suggest me what kind of service must be improved. I really would like to know because it is the only way our staff can learn from their mistakes.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Amazing location right by Times Square!

New and funky hotel - FREE Wi-Fi, clean rooms and certainly does the job. If you are looking more for location at a decent price this is definitely the place for you

Didn't bother with breakfast there as so many good places in NYC to eat

Tip: we requested a higher floor and couldn't hear any outside noise

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a nice review about your stay with us.

I see that you mention our FREE WI-FI, since in most of New York Hotels this amenity is not for free, we give this option to our guests complimentary, and it is something they highly value.

Next time do not miss our breakfast, we are upgrading it with new products like sausages and waffles!

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will make sure you are accommodated the best way possible.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at room mate grace, the staff were all very friendly & accommodating. They let us keep the room til 2pm with no extra charge on check out day, arranged a cab to the airport brilliant! As for the hotel itself it was very clean fresh towels were always available the pool & bar areas were very nice & it was literally seconds away from all the excitement of times square with shops resturants bars and street sellers a plenty! Thank you for making our trip so enjoyable :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest.

Thank you for taking your time to write such a good review about your stay with us.

Since our philosophy it is to treat our guests like our friends, we try to accommodate them the best way possible. Sometimes it is hard to please everyone, since so many guests request late check outs. If we have the hotel sold out that same day, it is impossible for us to leave our guests in the room further than 2pm. Of course, If a room requests it and we see it is possible, we happily accommodate them with no extra charge.

I am happy to see that you found our rooms clean and fresh, and you mention our location too!!

Please do not hesitate to contact me pesonally if you visit New York City again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Let me begin by saying what everyone who has ever traveled to NYC already knows....its an AMAZING city. Prior to this trip I never felt the urge to visit NYC, I am from Toronto and just figured we were a smaller, cleaner version of them...I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG! I had this preconceived notion that New Yorkers were rude...again WRONG!
I had read a bunch of reviews on Roommate Grace and they were generally good so I was really looking forward to it. I had been warned that hotel rooms were very small in New York and to not expect what I am use to in Canada, but honestly even with the size (which was much bigger than I thought) it was such a good use of space. Trendy décor comfy bed, good sized closet!
Upon arrival ( Friday January 17, 2014 ) we were greeted by THE BEST FRONT DESK STAFF I have ever encountered (honestly Toronto, Montreal, Niagara falls have never compared...neither has Europe) Her name was Jennifer and honestly I would stay at the hotel again because of her!! It was like we had known her forever she was so welcoming and sweet (she alone changed my views on New Yorkers!!) I told her that my best friend and I were there for my birthday and she gave us a room on a higher floor and was genuinely so sweet!! (to whoever reads this...that girl deserves a raise!) There was another lady that worked the front desk and I do apologize but I forgot to write her name down but she was amazing, we told her we had wanted to go to Sardis for dinner she told us how to get there and made reservations for us!! She also helped us get to LGA by transit!! Javier the security guard was also very nice and helpful, not rude or snobby like most here in Toronto. Luis the FSD was also amazing ...honestly great, great staff!!!
The pool area was AMAZING and Rob, the Bar-Manager was such a sweety and again very welcoming, let my friend and i know that the hotel has pool parties, we ended up going and honestly if you stay at that hotel you should check them out...fun, fun, fun! Great Bar-Manager, really fun for guests!!
Over-all we had a fabulous trip to NYC and I can say the hotel was in fact a good part of that!!! I am sooo looking forward to staying there again!!!! Thank you Roommate Grace for a great experience.!!!

FYI THIS HOTEL IS LITERALLY A 2 MINUTE WALK FROM TIMES SQUARE!!!! what more could you want?!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a nice review about your stay in Room Mate Grace.

Honestly, this is one of the nicest and best reviews we ever had. The fact that you mention so many staff members makes me feel really proud of them. Of course I will take a moment to discuss this review with them.

Room Mate Hotels philosophy is to treat our customers like they are visiting a friends house, hence all our properties have different human names. We will be more than happy if you visit us again!

Thank you so much for being such a nice guest, this kind of reviews it is what makes our job so valuable and keeps us growing better every day.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Hope you had a nice trip back to Toronto, I am dying to visit it too!

Laval, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I found the Room Mate Grace on hotels.com, looking for a reasonnably prices room close to Time Square since we only had one night to stay in NYC and I'm very happy with the find!

First the hotel is a stone's throw away from Time Square and Broadway, the staff was very friendly and helpful and they have an agreement with a near-by secure parking lot the next street over so you don't spend half your travel budget on parking!

The rooms are small but cozy (AND clean!), the decor is fabulous and while you can tell the place has got some age to it, it is very well maintained, it doesn't smell old or musty and isn't shabby at all.

Our room was on the 7th floor, so while we did hear a little bit of trafic and partying late in the evening, it didn't inconvenience us at all.

For the location we're in and the price we paid, it was more than we could ask for!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear customer.

What a great review!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review about your stay in Room Mate Grace. Thank you for mentioning our agreement with Meyers Parking, because it is something that our guests find very valuable, and it´s just in 44th street!

If you visit the city again, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will do my best to accommodate you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the Room Mate Grace. The room was stylish and comfortable, but small. We did not expect all of the bells and whistles one gets when you stay at a four star resort, so we were not disappointed. The location was conveniently within walking distance to Central Park, Shopping, dining, and Broadway. The staff was enthusiastic and friendly. This was the perfect hotel for a weekend in the city.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a candid review.

I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found Room Mate Grace the perfect hotel for your weekend.

As you may know, hotel rooms in New York are small, and depending on the time of the year, pricey. We try to accommodate our guests the best way possible, trying to make them feel like home, it is part of our core business.

All of our rooms are different, so next time contact me personally and I will make sure you get a nicer room.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Hope you had a nice trip back home.

Room Mate Grace Hotel Management Team.

Been to Room Mate Grace? Share your experiences!