“Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Room Mate Grace

You added Room Mate Grace to your Saves list
Room Mate Grace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #264 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania
“Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We've been to NYC a number of times, but never stayed here. We'd do it again in a heartbeat. We're not into big fancy hotels just to get some sleep. This hotel, altho' small is a gem. Our room was small and the toilet area isn't much bigger than the toilet on a jetliner. We had a platform bed and walk in shower and a nice size sink/shaving area . The room was immaculately clean and very cozy. The hotel staff is as friendly and as helpful as you can find. It's located right in the middle of mid-town Manhattan, so you're right near the theaters, parks, museums, restaurants, etc. A good value for the money in NYC where everything is expensive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RoomMateHotels, Manager at Room Mate Grace, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear valued guest.

Thank you for taking your time to write such a great review!

I am so proud to see another guest left our premises really satisfied. I am happy to see you liked the design of our hotel, but what really makes me feel special with this review, is the fact that you mention that our staff was friendly and helpful. I am going to address this review with them later on.

If you happen to visit The Big Apple again, do not hesitate to contact me personally and we will make sure to assign you a bigger room than the one you had on your previous trip.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Kind Regards,

Room Mate Grace Management Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
Waanrode
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This hotel is ideal if you travell with some friends and don't mind sharing a room with 3 or 4 persons (2 persons = more expensive). The hotel's location is very good: very close to Times Square. The rooms are modern and clean. THe only negative point is the lack of privacy for the shower part.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a candid review.

I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay. All our rooms for 4 people have been designed to maximize the space, that is why the bathroom layout is the way you mention in your review.

However, for the rest of the rooms, we have some of them designed with private bathroom, so if you happen to come back to our hotel, call us upon check-in and we will make more than welcome to give you a room with these features.

Hope you see you again soon!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I having been to NYC a few times, I know that unless you pay for the expensive 4 or 5star hotels, you normally get a hotel with a nice lobby but a dated, small room in a hotel that has a dark dingy hallways! Room mate grace was the same price as these and a 1000times nicer!

It is a really funky little hotel. Literally 20 second walk from the heart of Times Square! It's very boutique like in its style and has made the best out of its size & the fact there is no natural light in these hotels! The lobby and hallways are low lit and have really funky decoration! The pool can be seen from the lobby, which on booking, did worry me slightly as I didn't fancy walking round in my costume infront of a lobby full of people! However, because of the clever lighting, you can't really see!! Plus the pool is worth the money for this hotel alone! Yes, granted it is small, but unless you intend of doing some serious laps, it's all you need for a soak and chill at the end of the day! The air is a little chilly tho, once you are in you don't really want to get out!!

We had a standard room which is more than ample for our needs! They have really made the best out of the space so it felt really spacious! The beds are platforms so that all suitcases and shopping can slide under them! The mattress was kingsize & very comfortable! The bedding is feather & very comfy but not great if allergic to it like I am! I would email ahead if you are, as we had to just use blankets as they didn't have spare non feather bedding by time I realised!

The platform also forms a little eating area! And in the other half of the room you have a small wardrobe area, a massive sink area with drawers and fridge etc, and then a separate toilet and wet room with shower! This is separated from the main room with what can only be described as a slidding wardrobe door... So either the toilet is closed or the shower! But it's perfect- saves space! And all very high standard and clean!

The staff are very friendly and very helpful!

We never used the gym or the bar (apart from within the pool) so I can't really comment on these but they looked nice! The gym was small but looked like it had a good selection of kit! There is also a sauna and steam room by the pool which was very nice!

My husband had mentioned in the booking details that this trip was for my 30th birthday and on arrival in our room there was helium balloons tied down with a bag of sweets, and a hand written note saying happy birthday with 2 free drinks tokens attached! I thought that was nice touch!

All in all this is an absolute gem of a hotel and I cannot believe it's coming out a similar to price to hotels such as Edison, Milford plaza etc as these don't have half as nice facilities or as nicely decorated!

The location is absolutely ideal for exploring! Close to Times Square, a pub next door (never heard a thing from it tho!) and is close to a few subway stations! It has a deli next door and a Starbucks across the road!

I am definitely going back to room mate grace, the best mid price hotel in New York!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest.

First of all, I would like to thank you for being so enthusiastic and describing your stay with us with so many details. This took a bit of your time and I can only thank you for that.

I am so proud and happy to see that our guests value our daily job and the fact that we try to accommodate them the best we can. Of course if you were celebrating a birthday we couldnt miss the chance to give you guys a nice touch!

I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me personally to arrange any little detail.

Kind Regards.

Room Mate Grace management team.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel has funky vibe including new wall paper that's straight out of the 70s. The rooms are tiny but clean. It's the most efficient use of space that I've ever seen. It's expensive, but so is every other NYC hotel. The location is loud and congested, but in easy walking distance to "must see" sites: Time Square, Central Park, 5th Avenue, Herald Square, Empire State Building. The staff is very gracious with the exceptional of the bell man. A woman asked him for help in getting her suitcase on the rolling cart and he told her that if she can't lift it then she shouldn't have packed it so heavy. Although that's true, he could have been more gracious. Breakfast costs $13 per person; we mistakenly thought it was included in the room fee. The rooms don't have good reading light, so bring a clip on book light if that's important to you.

Room Tip: To avoid some of the street noise, request a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest.

Thank you for taking your time to write such a candid review about your stay at Room Mate Grace.

I am happy to see that another guest left our premises with a satisfactory stay. The design of the hotel is to have dim ilumination and, as you mention in your review, funky decoration.

Thank you for talking about the incident with the suitcase and our bellman. I am going to address this review with him, and remind him the way our guests should be treated.

I am looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Room Mate Grace Management Team.
McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

My two friends and I took a girls trip to NYC in December. Since it was only the 3 of us traveling we wanted to stay close to the action and not have to commute to all the fun locations. We decided to stay in tmes square. The hotels in that location that we were considering staying in were mostly $400/night and up!!! We finally settled on Grace which was expensive but less expensive than some of the other chain hotels we were considering.

We made the right choice! Grace is a very short walk (3 min)to the heart of Times Square. There are restaurants, shopping, and bars all very close by. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We did have a few problems... 1) the heat was not working in our room and it was COLD 2) the TV wasnt working. The maintenance staff attempted to resolve the problem but after 24 hrs we were still cold and ended up getting tranfered to another room.

The room layout for the triple room is pretty neat. There is a queen size bed with a twin bunk on top which really optimizes space in the room. The decor in the rooms and in the hallways is very modern and fun.

Overall, I enjoyed the hotel and would stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed on floor 12 and 4 and both were nice. The room on 12 was larger. However, the extra amen...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest.

Thank you for choosing Room Mate Grace and writing such a great review.

I am sorry to hear you experienced those two problems with your room, but I am proud of my staff because they were able to solve the situation and I see they were friendly and helpful with you. That is what we call Room Mate philosophy!

I hope that next time you visit New York city you call me personally and I will be more than happy to make your reservation and discuss any question relating your stay. Of course dont forget to use our pool and steam room after a long walking day!

Hope you had a safe trip home.

hull,east yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Myself, partner and two friends have just got home from a great 5 day stay at Room Mate Grace hotel and I am glad I booked this hotel !...
From the moment we got through the revolving door we were made to feel very welcome by the very lovely Shawntelle (excuse the spelling if it's wrong), she booked us in quickly and made an excellent impression on us !!.... We liked her !!!
We were put on the 13th floor and I can say I didn't hear any noise from the street, it was bliss.
The room was a good size for a NYC hotel and the huge

bed was extremely comfy !!...
Also the shower/wet room was excellent, I could have showered for hours !!!....
The only downside to the hotel for us was that there was no kettle or tea making facilities in the room but that's only a small niggle.
I also made use of the swimming pool and steam room !... Great after a long day sight seeing and shopping, not many NYC hotels with a pool so this was a big plus and it was never full so I got to use it all to myself !..
The wifi was hit and miss on our floor but it worked perfectly in the Lobby and breakfast room, because our wifi wasn't working on the 13th, they kindly offered us a free breakfast to compensate which I thought was very good of them.
Breakfast was good, continental, but I don't think I'd buy it at $14, I prefer a full English.
The location of this hotel is also spot on!!... Right in the heart of everything, Times Square, Radio City, Broadway, the shops !!...
All in all when I return to NYC this will be my preferred choice to stay, all the staff work hard and they always make time to say hello.
There are also two Irish bars on the same street both well worth a visit if you like good food and a cold beer!...
Also check out the funky wallpaper on each floor, it's like something out of an Austin Powers film !....brilliant

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
RoomMateHotels, Manager at Room Mate Grace, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear valued guest.

Thank you for taking your time to write such great review!

I feel so proud and happy to see how another guest left Room Mate Grace after a great stay. Of course I am going to mention this review to our lovely Chawntelle because it is going to make her day!.

If you happen to visit Room Mate Grace again, please tell us you need a tea kettle at the Front Desk and we will be more than happy to provide you with one.

Also, we have made some good changes at the breakfast so I hope you give it a try!

Thank you for visiting us and it was a pleasure having you as a customer.

Best,

Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The good - location if you are looking for Times Square / Theater District.
The good - the price (for the location), but that does not mitigate the issues below
The not so good :
Check-in - i am watering this down after a commitment to the hotel manager who did his best to mitigate the situation and offered to help, but in short, the worst check-in experience of my life - there is simply no place in the service industry for being ignored at the front desk.
The rooms - don't be fooled by the photos - i get it, NYC hotels are small, but, when you can't get in the bed from both sides (queen sized bed pushed up against a wall requiring to climb over the other person in the bed) - yes they were comfortable (not great, but comfortable)
The noise - we were on 5th floor, very poor soundproofing / double glazing
Picky i know but...while the square shower gel and shampoo "bottles" look boutique, they are non functional (cant squeeze them to empty contents)
The trip highlight - after taking a shower at 0800, the fire alarm in the room goes off - try to call the front desk using the Emergency button on the phone, or the Front Desk, or the Housekeeping - none of them work. Guessing by pressing 0, got the front desk. To their credit, there is a knock on the door from a maintenance gentleman "did you just take a shower, this room has a habit of doing that" - eventually get it reset. Wife takes a shower 30 min later, and you guessed it, alarm goes off again ...no further comments needed - and of course, no apologies at check-out. If you know there is a faulty alarm, FIX IT, and don't ruin your guest experience (not just our own, but the poor people in other rooms near us who got an unexpected wake-up call)
So to net it out, if you stay here, pack some patience, get a room on a high floor - or look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to avoid street noise
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest.

First of all, thank you so much for taking your time to write such candid review.

I feel so dissapointed to hear that you did not have the stay you had expected from Room Mate Grace. We pride ourselves in providing a really close treatment to our customers and making feel they are visiting the house of their friends. This Room Mate philosophy was clearly not applied in your case and I feel terribly sorry.

I do not know what type of room you had, but in this hotel all our rooms are completely different.
The design of Grace was conceived to maximize the space in the rooms, that is why we have the platforms and this type of bed layout. We have one of the best mattresses in the industry and as you can see in other reviews, all our customers find the beds really comfortable. I am sorry to hear that you had problems getting in and out of bed.

We will be changing our amenties program very soon. They will be very easy to squeeze since we are well aware of some customers having problems with their usage.

I really want to apologize for the shower and fire alarm problems. This is something that usually doesnt happen in any of our rooms. I do not know the person who tried to help you out, or what kind of information he gave out, but I want to emphasize the fact that we have no issues with the alarm, or with this going off on a regular basis.

I want, once again, apologize for all the inconveniences caused, and if you happen to visit New York again I would like you to give us a second chance, so please contact me personally to discuss your stay and we will be more than happy to accommodate you as comfortable as possible.

Hope you had a safe trip back home.

Room Mate Grace Hotel Management Team.

Been to Room Mate Grace? Share your experiences!