“Excellen location, nice rooms!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Room Mate Grace

Save Saved
You added Room Mate Grace to your Saves list
Room Mate Grace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #241 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Istanbul, Turkey
“Excellen location, nice rooms!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for just one night and found the stay quite satisfying. I booked via booking.com for 150 $ per night which was almost bargain for a hotel at this location. When you leave the hotel, you walk two minutes and you are at Times Square! Fantastic location!

The room was not too spacious but as I was travelling alone, it was not a problem for me. One funny thing (maybe strange) is that you have to climb to the bed:) Also bathroom sink is in the middle of the room, interesting setting.

Overall, for an one-night stay, the hotel met all my expectations.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
westslny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here 3/19 and 3/20. I went to the hotel to check my bag at 10:30 am. The desk person was very pleasant and said there was a room available and I could check in-Great! I thougt the room was a bit odd- no separate bathroomThe sink was in an open area that contained a microwave and a safe. It was okay,but the shower was in one cubicle and the toilet in another with a bizarre sliding mirrored door that slid between the two, not quite covering either area. There was no chair, so if you you wanted to sit you had to get into bed which was on a platform that you had to climb up to get into the bed It was about 18" high. To get to the other side of the bed you had to shimmy along a space about 6" wide. Obviously no bedside tables or bed size lamps (I'm A reader and having no bedside lamp is really annoying to me) The only lighting was overhead which i hate.
While i rarely take baths at home, but after a long day of walking in the city, a bath is welcome. there is only a shower here.
A simple small pour of Pinot Grigio was $15 plus a compulsory $3 gratuity !!! Those were my complaints the first day.
I was in town by myself one night with my husband joining me on the second day. At 8:30 in the morning I heard banging and clanging outside my fifth floor window. I had the blackout curtain across half the window and suddenly there was was a cherry picker with two guys in it right outside my window!
I jumped out of bed and ran to the desk. The clerk was very nice and said she was upgrading me and giving me a new room. Good. I went to my new room, opened the door and there was a man in there shaving at the sink in the open plan entry/bathroom! To say I was freaked out is to put it mildly. He assured me he wouldn't hurt me, that he worked in the hotel. I suspect he was homeless or something and was snaking into unoccupied room for grooming. Had I arrived 3 minutes later he might have been naked in the shower in the open plan bathroom. Off i went, back to the front desk. They were horrified and escorted me to my 3rd room in 15 minutes. She said she would arrange for me to have complimentary breakfast. I went to the breakfast room and made myself a plate to go back to the room and watch the Today show. You guessed it---the tv didn't work.
I've been married a long time, but I like my privacy when showering and dressing . Here I felt i had to dry off and partially dress in the stall. It was also very awkward getting up to pee in the night--having to jump off an 18" platform in the dark.
I pretty much thought this was a stupid hotel. I'm not young, but I'm pretty hip where design is concerned. But I know bad design and ugliness when I see it. And even when design is hip, it should function for privacy and comfort. The only reason I'm giving it any stars at all is that the staff were very pleasant and understanding.

join me the second night

Room Tip: go someplace else
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here for holiday. The location is right smack at Times Square and relatively near to the subway. Absolutely fantastic for first time leisure travellers!

The room, although small and in unusual shape, is well designed to maximize the use of space which is understandable as it's prime location and it's New York.

There's a tiny in-door pool on the ground floor, near the lobby which is surrounded by glass wall. People gather there to drink and chill out but I don't think anyone can swim there. Nice to see there's space to chill regardless.

For 2 of us girls staying, we felt comfortable and totally happy with our choice. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel is new and sleek and the staff is wonderful. Friendly, accommodating, they go out of their way to make you feel at home. I asked for a quiet room and they gave me one of the quietest rooms in NYC. Not easy. Location is convenient but not exciting. Rooms are small but that's NYC. Though they are modern and nice. I would go back.

• Stayed March 2013
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Room Mate Grace. It is a sweet little hotel right in the heart of New York, just a stroll away from sights light Times Square, Madame Tussaud's, and Broadway. Our room was very modern and comfortable, with a view out over some of the nearby streets and alles. Our TV remote didn't work at first, but the front desk sent someone up immediately to fix it. The rooms are quite compact, but I didn't fix this to be a problem as they are well designed and use the space well, and there is so much to do in New York that I hardly spent any time in my room anyway. Sleeping there is comfortable and quiet which are my main priorities for a hotel. All of their staff are very friendly and helpful and their cleaning and maintenance staff stood out as some of the friendliest we met in the whole of our 7-week trip. I would definitely stay at the Room Mate Grace again and recommend it to anyone planning a trip to New York for sight-seeing.

Room Tip: We stayed on level 12 which has a very cool metallic wallpaper and it was nice and quiet. Some rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had a great one night stay here on 3/12/13--everything is tight on space here, but they use it very efficiently. Stayed with my daughter in a room with 2 twin beds and it was perfect for what we needed--close to theater and Grand Central, Times Square easily accessible but you don't feel like you're in the middle of it. Mini-fridge was very handy. Granted they couldn't locate my online reservation, but quickly accommodated us regardless. I loved that the lights are all on dimmers--I'm an early riser and my daughter is not so I was able to read in bed while she slept. While I like funky, the one thing that may have been a bit too funky was the shower situation--the only thing dividing it from the bedroom area was the shower curtain--so if that would bother you, ask for a room that doesn't have that feature. Definitely will return again!

Room Tip: If you prefer to sleep late, ask for a room not on the construction side!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

After I researched seemingly 100 hotels around the Times Square area, I decided on Room Mate Grace. (I am extremely picky with the combinations of location, value, decor and online ratings) I love their modern design and unique decoration right away and booked it as soon as I saw that the rest of my criteria was matched. The rooms are small, as most are in this area of the city, but have everything you need. Downstairs is a small (very cool) indoor pool, a steam room, a sauna and a bar. For an additional fee, you can get a simple, continental breakfast.
On the first night, we had a problem with outside construction noise. I talked to the manager and he was extremely helpful and accommodating - making the rest of the stay perfect!

You can NOT beat the location. The walk to Times Square is about 2 min! Theater district 5 minutes. Shopping on 5th Ave. also 5 minutes. You're at the heart of it all!!

The only shortcoming I could point out, is the set up of the bathroom area in relation to the bedroom. They are very close together and are not separated by a door, therefore lacking privacy. (The toilet has a sliding door)
We had two different rooms and the first, smaller one had only a curtain shower separating it from the bedroom and the toilet area had a sliding door.
Our second room was set up at a different angle, so that the shower had more privacy - a sliding door, alternating the closing of EITHER the shower OR the toilet. Yet the actual 'bathroom' still had no physical separation from the bedroom.

If you go with your partner, close friend or child - this all should not be a problem! Don't go with your business partner!

All in all we really enjoyed our stay. Very comfortable beds. Great staff. Unbeatable location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Room Mate Grace? Share your experiences!