“Great option for a couple's weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel on Rivington

Save Saved
You added Hotel on Rivington to your Saves list
Hotel on Rivington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   107 Rivington Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Advance Purchase
Ranked #94 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Westchester, NY
“Great option for a couple's weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed one night this past Friday. We were in for a show and some time to ourselves. Our room was a high floor king facing south on SW corner of the building. Th views were very nice if not spectacular but the wall of windows was great. The balcony I would consider a decoration. I went out on it did not feel comfortable, or that it really added anything to the room experience. We enjoyed being in the neighborhood but be warned that the area doesn't lend itself to a restful night's sleep. Even on the 19th floor you could hear when some was really enjoying themselves, or really not enjoying themselves. I would definitely stay here again but would make sure that any activities we had planned were pretty local. Getting to the show in Midtown was an ordeal at 6 pm on a Friday.

Room Tip: High floors! The southeast corner of the building might be best.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hello Nrock, thank you so much for connecting with us here on TripAdvisor. We love to hear feedback from our guests and appreciate you taking the time. The views to the southwest of the Financial District and the Freedom Tower are spectacular indeed! Maybe next time we can set you up in a Suite which do not have balconies but are spacious and offer north views over the city. The neighborhood is certainly a very popular place at night with lots of restaurants and a very vibrant nightlife. Sometimes we really are "the city that never sleeps". :)

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Adam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was my first stay at this hotel. I go to NYC often and I wanted to find a new destination hotel. I'll start with the positives. This is a great value hotel. For a decent price, I stayed in a sleek, updated room that felt far more expensive than what I paid. Also, it was much bigger than similarly-priced hotels. The maids were the stars of the stay, always having a big smile and being very attentive. Another big plus is the free wine each day from 12 - 6. The wine is cheap, but who can complain when it's free? The wine is served in a large common area with a free business center.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of service. Upon checking in, I handed the front desk staff $20 and asked for lunch and dinner recommendations. He gave me a lunch spot, and told me he would follow up about dinner. I never heard from him after that. I would think a nice tip would cause an employee to go above and beyond. I was wrong.

My other complaint is the room service. The first night I was there, I asked for ice. After waiting 15 minutes, I still had not received anything. I had to call down to remind that of my request. The second night was worse. I ordered a bucket at 8 pm. After waiting 30 minutes, I called the front desk again. They assured me they would take care of it. I waited another 15 minutes and decided to go down myself. Requesting ice is a very small thing in a hotel with no ice machines. I was amazed that the wait time was 45 minutes for something that takes 15 seconds to prepare.

Overall, it was a decent experience. Unfortunately, I may try a different hotel next time. The price I'm willing to pay for decent service is higher than what I paid here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are large. If you book a room, make sure you ask for privacy windows, because the bath...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hi PatrickBusiness, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor.
I am personally embarrassed by the lack of service you received at the hotel. That is certainly not typical of what we strive for. We would love the chance to make it up to you next time with a complimentary upgrade, a few perks and a $20 dollar credit for the tip you so generously gave. Feel free to reach out to me directly and I'll make sure you receive an experience worthy of a 5 Circle TripAdvisor review. :)

aperabo@hotelonrivington.com
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed here last weekend in a corner room on a high floor. Great views, roomy bathroom and good pressure in the shower head (something that seems too frequently lacking these days). The bed also was very comfortable.
Location was exactly what you'd expect two blocks south of Houston. We did enjoy the candy store across the street and walked into the Tenement museum around the corner, but didn't have time for a visit there. (We promised to return).
The desk clerk was friendly and got us into our room quickly and painlessly. Room service came quickly when we called.
So on balance we liked this hotel once we were in our rooms. We didn't particularly like the garish entryway (plush red carpet?), which looked a little run-down. But other than that, it was fine.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 9th floor with a balcony, facing southeast. I would want to be at least...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi philaseller, thank you so much for your kind review here on TripAdvisor. Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our Tempur-Pedic mattresses and Frette linens make for quite a luxurious sleep. The entrance or "egg-trance" of the hotel is an art installation from the designer Marcel Wanders (his work pops up all around the hotel). His unique vision is part of what makes Hotel on Rivington such an experience.
Thank you so much for staying with us!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Very friendly staff who know the area well.

The hotel itself is very cool.

Free wine, tea and coffee.

In a nice residential area if you don't want to be somewhere too busy like upper manhattan.

Near the rather 'trendy' Brooklyn and Williamsburg.

Mike & Jasper on the door are very friendly and helpful. Gave us some great tips on where to go, what to see and of course, what to eat.

Also, the mattresses are temper... don't think I've ever slept so well.

Room Tip: Try and get above the 10th floor. Amazing views!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hi Elliot S! Thank you so much for your 5 Circle Review! So excellent to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Lower East Side. I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to our staff, Mike and Jasper are great guys and very helpful, it'll put a smile on their faces to your you were thinking of them. :)

We hope to host you again here on Rivington!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Another year, another nice weekend. Cool, clean room. Great shower, fluffy robe. Pleasant staff. Arranged and delivered my wife's flowers. Welcome cocktail. Free vino, acqua e frutta still, but not brought to the room anymore. Still worth every penny.

Stayed July 2014
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi Leonardo F! We appreciate your lovely 5 Circle Review! We love hearing from our guests and want to thank you for your loyalty to Hotel on Rivington.

We are looking forward to your next visit, we'll be sure to roll out the red carpet!

Venice, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The front entrance was a little grungy and the elevator seemed to have issues but once we got to the check-in desk things got better. The customer service was very good and the rooms were awesome. I liked the modern design and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was a little dark which makes it hard for a girl to put on her make up but that's a first world problem. The best part was the Davines bath products. I would def stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings from NYC, Nicki B! Thank you so much for your kind 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor! We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on the Lower East Side. We loved having you as a guest and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Just FYI: the lights in the bathroom are on a teeny dimmer switch next to the button. We'll be sure to turn it up for you next time. :) A girl is allowed to have "first-world problems" here!

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We booked this hotel well in advance, carefully choosing the room we wanted; a high floor corner king with balcony. When we arrived, weary from our 9 hour drive, we were told that they had a "better" room for us. The room didn't have a balcony, so we asked for one with a balcony, like we wanted. We were taken to another room, which still wasn't the room we booked, but we were too tired to change at that point. This room was smaller than the one we booked, and wasn't the corner room with the 2 glass walls for the view. We looked out onto the parking lot. The next morning, we went to the front desk to speak to the manager. We were told there was no manager there, but one would definitely contact us as soon as possible. Needless to say, we checked out a couple of days later and no one got in touch with us. The staff kept telling us that our room is a better room than we booked, but this was not the case! For us, the room we wanted was the room we booked, which we never got. What a frustrating experience. No manager to speak to? I've never had that happen to me before! I felt very blown off! I won't be staying here again, nor recommending anyone to stay here. Expensive and no customer service!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello AdventureGirl0609, I understand your frustrations and apologize for the customer service you received. We are on a guest service "mission" of sorts and I guess we came up short in your case. The room category you booked was unavailable due to an extension of another guest and we had upgraded you to one of our Unique Suites as an alternative. We hoped you'd enjoy the extra square footage or the deep soaking tub but you are right, we could not supply the room type you reserved and therefore are sorry for your disappointment.

We would love to try to win you back as a guest and would be happy to make arrangements for a future stay with a complimentary upgrade to a room with a balcony and corner view.

Adam

Been to Hotel on Rivington? Share your experiences!