“We absolutely loved this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel on Rivington

You added Hotel on Rivington to your Saves list
Hotel on Rivington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   107 Rivington Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #71 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bromley, United Kingdom
“We absolutely loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

It seems impossible to me now that just a few short months ago, I felt like me and my fiancee Jo were never going to agree on a hotel to stay in for our October trip to NYC. Too expensive, no breakfast, too touristy, too grimy... the search felt never ending. And then... then, Jo found Hotel On Rivington. A boutiquey place about 5 minutes from the Williamsburg Bridge on the Lower East Side.

Revelation.

It was expensive, yes, but not in a way that set it apart from anywhere else on Manhattan Island. And I would say that we more than got what we paid for. When we arrived at the hotel, we nearly walked past it as the only clues to the fact that this building was a hotel were two doormen outside and a "Hotel on Rivington" doormat. Some might find that annoying, but even after 12 hours in transit, I found it rather charming. A word on the doormen- they, Josh especially, were uber friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Sorting out taxis, bringing luggage to your room, they- as with everyone else we came across in the hotel, were so welcoming.

When we got to our room, on a hot, sunny day, we found that we could see the Freedom Tower as well as the Brooklyn Bridge not just from our room, but the shower as well- we got a great sunset one day. I've seen people complain about the fact that the glass isn't frosted which leaves you vulnerable to prying eyes. But, up on the 11th floor, I wasn't too bothered by thoughts of anyone looking up at me. And even if anyone was, I can confirm that the shower cubicle goes from clear to steamed up in about 10 seconds. The bed was very comfortable and- jet lag aside- we slept the sleep of the righteous. As an aside, the day after we checked in, the weather was quite overcast and the Freedom Tower disappeared from view!

We were lucky enough to have complimentary breakfast from the restaurant downstairs, Co-Op. And it was there that we learned that everything you've heard about New York City and their plates of food is true. We staggered out of the restaurant with full bellies more or less every time we ate there, but just as importantly, the food was delicious (my personal favourite, the smoked salmon bagel with scrambled eggs and capers). The guys in the restaurant were a bit more droll than anywhere else, but quite funny if you got chatting to them.

There was free Wi-Fi, free wine in the afternoon (it seemed that some enjoying this service may not have actually been guests of the hotel, reggae music in the lifts and a fairly comprehensive minibar. Just a personal preference, but we loved the black and red interiors. It felt like we were in our own movie whenever we were making an otherwise ordinary journey through the corridors of the hotel. Oh, and the free pool table was a very nice touch. In short, I don't know when we'll return to New York, but when we do, we know where we'll be staying. A great hotel.

I nearly forgot to mention the biggest bathtub I've ever seen, after a day tramping around Manhattan, I didn't want to get out. On that note, some may find the distance between the hotel and the "touristy" bits of NYC a bit of a chore, but we loved being slightly out of the way and, in any case, the F train uptown was only a 5 minute walk away. As was the magnificent Doughnut Plant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Greetings rockthecasbah77! We are so happy that our style didn't "Clash" with yours! Your stellar 5 Circle Review has us grinning from ear to ear here on Rivington Street. So happy that you chose to stay with us, we know you have hundreds of options in Manhattan but you chose to stay at our unique boutique hotel and we are overjoyed that you "loved" it. From Josh, our charming doorman to our hard-working restaurant staff, our aim is to assure an excellent, memorable and comfortable stay for our clientele.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rivington Street and will take good care of the Doughnut Plant in your absence. Yum! :)

Adam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

First time staying in the LES and this hotel was the perfect location. Nice touches like freshly baked cookies delivered with the turn down service each night really goes above and beyond (plus the complimentary beverages in the bar). The room didn't blow me away, it was modern, clean and spacious for New York .. BUT the beds are something else. Seriously these are THE most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. You have to try them. Quirky minibar with some interesting items, it feels like this hotel is trying to do something different from the faceless corporate hotels and i loved this about the Rivington.
The breakfast was the only chink in their armour - chaotic service and long wait times but this is New York and there are a million other places to eat.
The biggest test of any hotel is would you go back? In this case I cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Try and get one of the rooms that have a bath in the floor to ceiling window bathrooms - trust me it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi danspoon74! Thanks for the lovely 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor! We love to get feedback from our guests and we can't thank you enough. Our beds are Tempur-Pedic and our guests LOVE them. A good night's sleep is a top priority when staying away from home. We are very glad to hear that you are looking forward to coming back and are excited to welcome you back with a comfy bed, complimentary beverages, freshly baked treats and a familiar face to greet you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been lucky enough to stay in many hotels in NYC on business and for leisure and have often found myself disappointed by the service / friendliness of the staff and the facilities of the hotel for the price and supposed quality rating it has. Hotel on Rivington completely bucked this trend!

Location is a little 'out of centre' but everything you want is still very accessible and the neighbourhood possibly a little noisy at the weekend if you are looking for a relatively quieter NYC break or on are away on business.

Everything else is fantastic! Great bars and restaurants surrounding the hotel, friendly staff who makes sincere gestures of hospitality, little touches that make the difference, good sized rooms, superb amenities - I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending.

Special mention to Evelyn in Reservations - she set the tone prior to my arrival for the service I would receive when I arrived. Friendly, helpful, courteous - an asset.

Room Tip: If you can, pay for a room on a higher floor - quieter and fantastic views
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hi Charwea! Thank you for your stellar 5 Circle Review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel on Rivington. We are in the business of bucking that trend, for sure. :)

Excellent service is our goal everyday and Evelyn is an asset. From the first phone call with a guest to sending you off in an NYC taxi at the end of your stay, we are committed to that goal.

Thanks again for sharing your kind words here on TripAdvisor!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is quite a stylish hotel in LES with a lot of positives: location in "real" NY, great food/bars nearby, subway, little bedtime treats and of course the phenomenal view! The staff are quite helpful & the guest services are very helpful if you need anything organised prior to arrival.

There are some negatives however. The dark black decor will not be to everyone's taste, at times we felt like we were entering a strip club not a hotel. The mattress seemed to be orthopaedic, which we found really uncomfortable. Again I think you will love or hate.

I'm not sure if the sex aids in the mini bar deserve a positive or a negative!

I think the thing that most effected our enjoyment of the hotel was the glass in the shower wall. Be under no illusion: there is no frosting, you are in full view of the outside. On arrival, dying to take a shower, we had to abandon the plan as there was a roof party across the street! If this doesn't bother you, go for it. It really bothered me and I wish I had been more careful in reading reviews. I kind of assumed there would be frosting/a blind. I think not enough warning is given regarding this feature of the hotel which some people just may not like.

Room Tip: The higher up the better the views. You can lie in bed and see the Empire State!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi PsychLou! Wow you are one of TripAdvisor's Top Contributor's, that is really awesome! We are very proud to have garnered such a positive review from you. TripAdvisor is a great way for potential guests to learn from our past guests and your review is a great help.

Im glad you enjoyed the Lower East Side. It is definitely "real" NY. Restaurants, galleries, boutiques, colorful characters everywhere and the view of Midtown, soaring above. :)

That being said, it is your uneasiness about the hotel that we can learn from more. We do cater to an adventurous clientele. We have a tequila lounge on the ground floor and do offer Babeland products in our mini-bars. But your comfort is our #1 priority. The exterior-facing shower feature of the hotel can be a bit flashy but we offer screens that stick to the windows if you like and usually they steam up pretty good. Our beds are all Tempur-Pedic matresses and do offer a didnt sensation than a standard mattress. I'll speak to my team about being more informative of these amenities.

Thank you for your review, it is invaluable to us in our quest to provide a comfortable, memorable and enjoyable experience at Hotel on Rivington.

Taarbæk, Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We just came back from NY. I stayed in Room 101 - HighFloorKingCorner w/Balcony.
Staying at Hotel on Rivington is for me a must – I simply love the hood – and feel at home at the hotel. This time I travelled with my colleagues – and they also liked the hotel.
As a (kind of) regular guest (every year / year and a half), it is so nice to be welcomed by the door men – especially Lester – he is so helpful and very professional in his work….. And the feeling of being recognized is part of why I feel at home when I’m at Rivington. He actually recognized me from 3 or 4 years ago and even asked where my daughter was. And he also remembered us from our last visit in May 2012….. That’s impressive  And a huge gain for the hotel.
The rooms are great, the beds huge and comfortable, the bathroom spacy and cool....
I’ll be happy to recommand Hotel on Rivington to both friends and colleagues – and will return again, as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms as high up as possible - for the best view :-)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hi Julie K! Thank you for your wonderful 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate you sharing your satisfaction here. We love our return guests and try to always bring a consistent level of excellent service to the neighborhood.
Lester is a gem! Im not surprised to hear that he remembered your daughter, he has a way of making everyone feel like they belong to our family. Like you!

Please reach out to me directly to make any future bookings and I'll be sure to get you a great rate and fantastic room. :)

aperabo@hotelonrivington.com
New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

More often than not, you'll hear about how the people in New York City are rude and always in such a rush for you to get out of their way. Which, if you're trying to get your work done for the day, can be true. However, the staff here are exceptionally courteous. The doormen, most especially, are very kind and ready to assist you in navigating your way around the hustle and bustle that is NYC. I had the opportunity to have a very nice conversation with Lester, while I was waiting for a car, his politeness and professionalism is a credit to this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
A Big NY to NJ hello to you, LizThisFullHouse! Thank you for your delightful 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor! Our #1 priority is to offer excellent service to our guests. Our staff is committing to creating a comfortable, memorable and especially helpful experience for all of our guests. Lester is a great example of that, I'll tell him you enjoyed your conversation and I bet he remembers it well. :)

Hope to have you back on the kind, courteous streets of the Lower East Side soon.

Maryland, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I really like the decor from the street level entrance to the dark hallways. I would suggest that the hotel update their music system. I could not play my iphone 5 in their ihome eequipment. Also, the window would not lock and the cutains would not stay shut. The beds was very comfortable. Maybe an additional light in the bathroom. the staff on the street level were great and friendly. I thought a newspaper or coffee/tea service would have been good to offer for the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi D F, Thank you so much for your positive review here on TripAdvisor. We love to get reviews, they help us immensely in offering excellent service and top shelf amenities.

We are constantly upgrading all aspects of the hotel from our commitment to service to our in-room music options. We do offer auxiliary cables that you can use to connect the iHome to your iPhone 5 to play music and have chargers to borrow from Guest Reception. We also offer complimentary newspapers, coffee, tea, water, fruit (and wine!) in our Lobby Lounge everday. We should have mentioned this at check-in, my sincere apologies if we did not.

If you would kindly respond to me at the email below with your room number and/or the name you stayed under I can look further into fixing the window and curtains in your room.

We hope you will come stay with us again, here in the always funky Lower East Side.

Adam

Been to Hotel on Rivington? Share your experiences!