“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of American Dream Hostel

Save Saved
You added American Dream Hostel to your Saves list
American Dream Hostel
168 East 24th Street, midtown Manhattan, New York City, NY 10010 (Manhattan)   |
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had a very good experience in this hostel. The breakfast was amazing, and I felt really comfortable in my room. It had everything I needed, and to be honest, there is no big trouble about the bathroom, we could all share it with no problem.
The price is good, and the location is excelent. It is very close to two subway stations, and main avenues. I really recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I spent a week here and loved every moment. It's close to everything and I didn't mind buying food and coming back to cook it. So what if there's one bathroom on each floor. Everyone was nice. Staff and travelers as well. Didn't even mind that there was no elevator. Internet access and laundry facilities on site. My room was small and comfortable. When I put something in the fridge it was there when I came back. I actually didn't want to leave. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: They could have put me in any room and I would've been comfortable. Wouldn't want to stay an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hostel has goods and bad. Would I stay again? It depends on prices of places nearby if they were similar then I would stay there.

Pros:
Decent room for a hostel (although still small) and clean.
Location is great.
Free Breakfast Included
Printing available for free
Price is great for NYC

Cons:
Staff are very unhelpful
Wifi is terrible for connecting to with other devices, but they do have two computers you can use.
No lifts if you have heavy suitcases.
No secure storage if you want to leave your suitcases for the day after you check out.
One bathroom per floor (about 20 people).

Don't expect too much from this place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place is advertised as a hostel but it's a bed and breakfast. The shared bathroom is one shower for about 20 rooms on the floor with no room to get changed inside. We booked a standard 3 bed room for 3 single guys and ended up with a double and single bed... When I queried the guy at reception he told me it was advertised as such which was a lie and didn't really care. The breakfast room didn't really have much on offer either, we ended up just eating out every day. Decent location and not too expensive but pretty disappointed by the deceit of it all.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Nørresundby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were 10 guys from school who stayed here in october '13. The staff where nice and helpful. It was clean and the location is perfect. They serve a great breakfast, which is prepared by who I think was the owner.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I have stayed in this hostel twice before and just booked my third stay with them for this summer.
First of all, yes, it's a hostel... don't expect anything fancy. it's in a narrow building with lots and lots of stairs. The rooms are small and basic, equipped with bunk beds and a sink. As I said, hostel.
But what I love about this hostel is that it offers private rooms (no dorms, yay) for REALLY affordable prices. Even the cheapest of cheap hostels in NYC charge you through the nose if you wanna stay in a private room. But not this one!
The bathrooms are shared (which would usually be a no-go for me) but kept in great condition. There's free wifi and free breakfast (waffles, toast, cereal and fruits, but what more do you want). Breakfast is served in the kitchen which has one big table that everyone gathers around. I have met so many nice and fascinating people from different countries around that table.
The location is great within 5 mins walking distance to the flat iron building.

People really don't give this hostel enough credit. It is hard to find a good affordable accomodation in NYC that also makes you feel safe staying there (and walking there in the evening). The amenities of free breakfast and wifi are also not a given with nyc accomodation. And can I repeat myself that they are PRIVATE ROOMS!

Even though I am sad not more people appreciate this hostel, I am also kinda glad. Makes it easier for me to get a room on short notice ;)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The best thing about this hostel is definately its location in walking distance to the metro and close to the flat iron building. We stayed in a 2 people private room which was as clean as expectable for the price, the breakfast was good (fresh fruits, cereals). On our second day when we came home in the evening our room was unlocked, which gave us a small shock since we had expensive camera equipment inside. Although nothing was stolen when we complained to the staff we got a pretty rude answer. Stay in this hostel if you want a good location for a decent price, but dont leave anything of value in the room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to American Dream Hostel? Share your experiences!