“Good spot in central Manhattan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard New York Manhattan/chelsea

You added Courtyard New York Manhattan/chelsea to your Saves list
Courtyard New York Manhattan/chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   135 West 30th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #104 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Adlington, United Kingdom
“Good spot in central Manhattan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Modern hotel just off 7thAvenue very convenient for Penn Station, Times Square area. Good size rooms for a moderate priced New York hotel. Decent breakfast but not included in our price. Very helpful staff both at the front desk and at breakfast. Well worth considering if you want to be close to the sights but on a quiet sidestreet (opposite a police station).

Room Tip: Higher rooms get better views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/chelsea, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thanks for sharing your feedback about the hotel and your stay. It sounds like not only did you enjoy the hotel, but its location and street that we are located on. The Police Station is a big win for many of our guests, as they feel safe and also love to take photos of the unique building. I hope you had safe travels home and we look forward to a return visit soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
St. Gallen, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I love the Courtyard Marriotts in general - if the come brand new or less than three years old there are even better.

As staying in New York is usually not an easy task - brands like Marriott really help and you usually can't get wrong with them - even more if the property is new.

Decent room size - all the offerings a hotel should have and the location for leisure is excellent.

Would stay there again for leisure - to far for my usual NYC business.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for the great feedback on Marriott, Courtyard and our hotel. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel, and yes we just opened in December, 2013. This location in NYC has been a big hit for our leisure travelers, since Penn Station is less than 2 blocks away, and makes it easy to get too many of the NYC Sights. The staff and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Spur of the moment 4th of July trip to New York and lucked out on finding this hotel. Doorman and front desk very friendly and helpful. This is a new hotel and I like the modern decor. Got a room on the 19th floor and very pleased with the clean room. The elevator can be slow at times. So give yourselves some extra time to avoid being late. We enjoyed walking to Time Square, Theater District, and Little Italy because there was so much to see. The vicinity of the hotel felt safe because of the police station across the hotel. Walking distance to Penn station and good restaurants nearby. We will surely be back!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing information about your recent stay. The staff and I are happy you enjoyed the Marriott "Spirit to Serve" that our team works hard to deliver to make our guests feel special. We all look forward to your next trip back to NYC.
Covington, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hotel was opened in January 2014, still has that new hotel smell. Had a nice room on the 15th floor that was moved to a suite on the 19th when our in-room safe stopped working and they had to drill it. Staff were prompt and attentive in breaking the safe open, and offered to upgrade us for the inconvenience (their tool that opens them broke the day before and they did not have a spare). Hotel is convenient to subway on 7th, Herald Square, and Penn Station. Directly across from a police precinct. Good view of the skyline to the south from the 19th floor. Staff were courteous, polite, helpful, and attentive without being overbearing.

Room Tip: We were high so the ambient street noise was non-existent when the windows were closed, minimal when...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for sharing your recent feedback about your stay with us. As a General Manager, I love to hear how our staff makes guest experiences special, especially when a guest may have issues arise. Our location is indeed great, and provides many unique items for any type of traveler. We look forward to having you back with us on your next stay in NYC.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I've traveled to Manhattan for work several times over the past few years and this may be one of the best places I've stayed at. I stayed here one night while in town for work and was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Its obviously been remodeled lately and it shows because everything looks fresh and clean. I got a king size bed room and the room was actually a really good size compared to other places I've stayed in NYC. Some rooms in Manhattan are so small they make you claustrophobic. And of course a big factor for me is if I can get the room cold enough for me to sleep comfortably. I was very happy to find a thermostat that I could control that kept the room nice and cool all night. The hotel is also relatively quiet, I was on the 6th floor and didn't really hear any of the street noise down below. My only complaint would be the walls are a little thin. I could here the guy next to me having a loud conversation, luckily he ended it early so it wasn't too much of an issue. The staff at the little cafe and the front desk were all very pleasant. Also the location was ideal for me. Walking distance to Penn Station and away from all the madness of Times Square. When I come to NYC I would much rather experience one of Manhattan's unique neighborhoods than the crazy tourist attraction of Times Square. But if you are a tourist this hotel is probably close enough to walk to all that. I would definitely stay here again and might even make it my go to hotel for my New York trips.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. The staff and I are happy you found us, and hopefully in the future becomes your "Home away from Home" when your travels bring you to NYC. The neighborhood our hotel is in, is very unique and has many things to offer, and yet is very close to all of the NYC Sights.
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The hotel is in a great location and, being relatively new, it feels fresh and has a good level of modern equipment. They supplied a room which was different from what we had ordered (and paid for). They took two days to sort the problem and move us to an acceptable room. I am not sure if the problem was due to Expedia (who we booked the trip with ) or Marriot but the staff on reception did eventually get us the correct room. We were advised to pack our bags and let them know when we left the room and the bags would be moved to the new room. When we did this in the morning we were told we had to move our own bags. When I questioned this the "Front Desk Manager" got involved and effectively said that we should not have received the new room and we were very lucky we were not being charged and we had to move our own bags. She was rude and actually walked away from me while I was speaking.
We moved the bags ourselves. Next problem we has was every time we went to the room we were locked out. Each time a technician had to come and fix it. We waited up to 45 mins for this to happen on each occasion and it happened a total of SEVEN times over three days. At one point the guy radioed his colleague telling him "customer waiting" and we clearly heard the guy saying " I wont be doing anything until I finish my coffee" . On this occasion we were locked out at 12:30 AM for over 40 mins !! After the forth occasion I asked for the room to be changed again. Was promised this would happen but each time I asked for an update was told they are working on it. I asked to speak to the manager as I was not happy about the way things were going and was told there was no manager or supervisor in (it was 8pm). I then asked for the Manager to contact me in the morning and was told they would get this organised. I had to ask on three occasions over three days and by the point we left, he had still not been in touch.

I must say the front desk staff were courteous and helpful, the issue appears to be with the attitude and the lack of customer focus from the management team. I also asked for the name of the regional manager (after being frustrated with the lack of communication from the Hotel General Manager) and was told ( by two different staff members) that they did not know the name and were unable to get it for me.

Bottom line was everything else was good about the hotel and if we had not had any "problems" to solve, I probably would have given this hotel a good review. I am also very surprised as I have stayed in MANY Marriot properties (they are the supplier of choice for my current employer) and have always been well impressed with the staff / management. Perhaps the NY team just need more training / understanding regarding what makes a satisfied customer ;)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/chelsea, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I was sorry to hear about the issues you had, and can only apoligize about your experience. I know when you are traveling, it can be frustrating, especially when it is your hotel. I do however want to thank you for sharing your concerns, and wanted to let you know that we will use them as training opportunities with our staff to be better prepared for future guests who stay with us. Hopefully, in reviewing our Trip Advisor Hotel Page, you can see that your stay with us was not typical, and that the hotel and friendly staff have done very well to insure our guests have had a great stay. I hope you give us another opportunity on your next trip to NYC.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed in a suite on the 21st floor with 2 queen beds in one room and a separate living room with a "chair bed" (as opposed to a sofa bed ... so twin sized) that worked well for our group of 4. The rooms were modern, quiet, spacious, and clean. The housekeeping staff (especially Judita) did a great job cleaning the rooms and restocking towels and sundries. I think we were in a wheelchair accessible suite so the bathroom was downright palatial. The living room had a great view of the Freedom Tower. The hotel was within walking distance to the subway and the Empire State Building and not too far from Times Square and Highline Park. Our suite had two flat screen tv's, a large sink in the bathroom and a small sink in the living room, small refrigerator, and microwave. We did take advantage of the gym and the laundryroom (which by the way, the detergent was complimentary at the front desk.) We would've liked a mirror in the living room area (perhaps in the closet?) and more than 2 drinking glasses provided, but other than that, we were very pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/chelsea, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you enjoyed one of our suites and all they have to offer. From the oversized rooms, to the views of the NYC Skyline they are truly worth and provide a unique NYC experience. I also wanted to thank you for recognizing one of our associates. In my role as the General Manager, I love the opportunity to recognize our team for a job well done or for going above and beyond to showcase the true Marriott "Spirit to Serve". I wanted to share with you that our associate has received an award at our monthly associate celebration for your positive feedback and she really appreciated it. I hope your travels bring you back to NYC soon, and you choose to stay with us.

Been to Courtyard New York Manhattan/chelsea? Share your experiences!