“Location Location Location.. Missing the personal touch!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #171 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Warrington
“Location Location Location.. Missing the personal touch!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from 5 days in NYC staying at the Courtyard..

First about 3 blocks from Time Square & 3 blocks from Central Park. Fantastic, exciting location.

This was our first time to America and I spent months & months researching hotels & locations. I first went with Distrikt but cancelled last minute and booked the Courtyard due to it being that little bit cheaper. I am still unsure if I made the right decision. This is a new hotel, clean and fresh with great views, however I was a little disappointed with the customer service. I contacted the hotel by phone and email 3 days prior to arriving with requests and I didn't get one single acknowledgement. It's not till I got to reception, after waiting 15 minutes to be seen too that the manager noticed the notes on the booking. He put us on the 29th floor which had a fantastic view but no balloons or cake were in the room, granted they came up later that night with a cheese board, cakes and wine which was a fabulous, kind gesture but we were so tired to appreciate it by this time.

Sheets are crispy and new do make noise but not that dramatic. Room is so small, end up getting on each others nerves. However, 37-40 inch TV to compensate. Gym and view on 35th floor is cool.
4th floor computers need to have restrictions 20 mins per person as we were waiting to print tickets off and a couple of guys were just googling pictures.. I don't understand why you would need to do that when we have smart phones and free wifi (fast) Also looks like there will be a nice outside terrace on the 5th floor soon, that will be fabulous when complete.

Very business like hotel, not romantic.. I would stay here again if required & some one else was paying but if I had to pick a hotel I would stay at Bryant Park Hotel. It looked better than in the pictures and in a fantastic location.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

This is a good hotel. Be it for business or family. Not a romantic get away. Room was very comfortable, nice shower, great room amenities like microwave, dishes, etc. TV and cable channels were fantastic.

Check in was fast and easy. very good executive lounge (I am a gold member) and pretty good (not great) buffet breakfast. Baggage check-in and retrieval could be more efficient but the young men working the room are very friendly and try hard.

I would say in a city where you can easily spend $600 for a hotel room, this hotel offers great value...I would definitely give it another stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 5007...great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Fresno CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just returned from staying here for a week before Easter. The staff were very friendly and always helpful.

The location was perfect for our purposes. We went to see six Broadway shows and probably could have walked to all of them, although we did sometimes take the subways which were conveniently located 1-4 blocks away (depending on which line we wanted.) All subway lines we needed were very easily accessed.

The hotel itself is a new hotel and the rooms reflect this. Everything was very new and modern; I especially liked the bathroom with its orange accents and great showerhead. The bathroom was also very roomy, unlike the actual room itself. We had a "larger" guest room with two double beds. It was very small with only one chair for the counter desk and a small built-in bench. When the chair was being used, you had to climb on the bed to get to the other side as there was no room between the chair and end of the bed.

Storage was also lacking in this room as it was so small. We had three people with two large suitcases. One suitcase fit in the closet, but then you had limited space to hang clothes and coats as the suitcase used half of the closet. We had to set the other suitcase on the floor between the window and bed, making it difficult to leave the bed from this side. Granted, rooms in NYC are small, but this room was really small for three people. There is not even a table in the room as there is no space for one.

As others have mentioned, the sheets really are noisy. I had read this in reviews before our trip, but didn't really understand. If someone rolls over or moves at all, they are quite loud, like crunching sheets of paper. I actually used my earplugs, not for any traffic noise, but to block out the noise of the sheets if someone moved in the middle of the night!

As others have also mentioned, we did experience spotty housekeeping services. Sometimes we would be left shampoo, sometimes not. Sometimes we had our coffee and creamers refilled, sometimes not. However, once we left a note with our needs and housekeeping took care of everything.

Hubby used the gym on the 35th floor and said it was a very good gym with great views. I can't comment as I never made it there, not even to look at the views.

Hubby also said the basic free internet was as slow as dial-up. He paid $6.95 per night to upgrade to a higher speed. I would think the higher speed would be a free standard service.

Although I have a lot of cons listed, we would still consider staying here again although it probably wouldn't be our first choice. We did not decide to come to NYC until March so hotel choices in our price range were somewhat limited. We have stayed at the Residence Inn/Times Square for two previous visits and would probably stay there over this Courtyard, primarily due to the size of the rooms.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 26th floor and there was no outside noise. I only wish we would have asked if t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have one of those Marriott credit cards. So I used 85,000 points and got a weekend in NYC for my 40th birthday. I think this was a fluke because I'm originally from NY and this has never happened to me before, but everyone I encountered in this hotel was genuinely nice and eager to be of help to us. It could have been that we were there the first really nice weekend of spring after a horrible winter.

When I went to check in, I was told that I was Guest of the Day! YAY! I forgot to ask what that meant, but I later learned that it meant that I got a late check-out which turned out to be a huge God-send. I invited 3 of my best friends to join me for the weekend. We went to MOMA (very very VERY close to this hotel). We could have easily spent the entire day there. We went to a bodega, got sandwiches and ate them on some rocks in Central Park. The park was packed with people out enjoying the weather.

The rooms are small. I'm told though that the rooms is big by NYC standards. I'll say this. If you're from Iowa, the rooms are small. However, we didn't spend much time in our room. You're an idiot if you do. It's NYC... stop being lazy, go do something. There are zillions of things to do.

Some of my favorite things about the hotel:

Very convenient to restaurants, bars, MOMA and Central Park South
Beds were comfortable (see side note about the sheets below)
Bathroom was sleek and modern (very cool!)
Kureg coffee maker.
4th floor is a cafe sort of thing by day and a bar by night. Starbucks coffee!
The room was very clean and of course the hotel is brand new so there was that.
Toiletries from Bath and Body Works.

Things I didn't totally dig:

The sheets were very noisy, but it was more of a funny thing between friends.
You needed a key card to operate the elevator. While I dig the security, you couldn't just say to friends meeting you that they can just come up to your room. You had to go down the elevator to meet them. No biggie and again, I dig the security aspect of that.

Room Tip: We were up high (28th floor) and the noise level was pretty much nonexistent.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week with friends, Our room was tiny but it worked. It was in the 16:th floor so the view wasn´t great. Everything was shiny and new. The bathroom was very nice and the shower great when we learned how to handle the temperature setting. The Keurig was great. I loved the bed but I nearly needed a ladder to get up and into it. The madras was very comfortable and we slept good. Didn´t hear a sound from the street or the sheets.
Strange things happend though! A coffecup disappered and came back two days later. One glass disappered and never came back. Coffe wasn´t refilled. There was no milk powder for the coffe in three days. Our friends room wasn´t cleaned until 8 p,m one day and one day not at all! We found room cards that served as keys twice and it was not our keys so we landed up with four keys.
In one sentence: Housekeeping doesn´t work properly.
The lounge was great. There were three computers you could borrow. Unfortuneatly people let their kids play stupid games on the computers so sometimes it was impossible to use them.
There were no place to sit and wait in the lobby and checking out took ages because the staff was a little bit to friendly, chit-chatting a lot, inspite of long ques.

If housekeeping standards get better we could think of returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Great location and friendly staff.
No joke about the noisy sheets...I don't get it but they sounded like a parachute when we moved. I don't know how they got to meet a Marriott standard.
Elevators were slow and small, so they were full sometimes.
Room was quiet but I found it dark overall.
Maid didn't show up one day until 5pm.
Keurig is a nice touch, and there were good and plentiful toiletries.
Would I stay again? Maybe. Got a great price off Priceline so I really shouldn't complain, but the sheets literally woke me up in the night!!! Funny how it was the sheets and not Manhattan traffic that bothered me!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

THE GOOD:

- The hotel is brand new, and everything still feels fresh, clean and up-to-date.
- The rooms are well-appointed, modern and attractive.
- The staff is extremely helpful and friendly.
- The hotel has a large gym, with excellent views out over the city.
- Great location, half-way between Central Park and Times Square.
- Free (and fast) wi-fi.

THE NOT-AS-GOOD:

- My room was tiny, even by NY standards. It was fine for one person, and probably would have been ok for two - but barely. I wouldn't advise having any more than two people in the room.
- The mattress was overly firm, and the sheets felt like cardboard.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park? Share your experiences!