“great chinese food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dallas, Texas
“great chinese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

we try to get by here whenever we are in NYC. If you love spicy food ,this is a must eat! Cheap and casual ,you will love it!

Visited May 2014

New York City, New York
“This Sichuan Brings All The Boys (And Girls) To The Yard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

After a few failed attempts, I finally made it to Han Dynasty in the East Village. This Chinese restaurant opened a number of months ago, but, since they don’t take reservations, it’s all first come first serve. And, lots of people are lining up to be served there. So, since waiting an hour and a half wasn’t really in the cards, I decided to go for an early dinner and beat the crowd. Mission accomplished.

The restaurant’s decor is simple, but each table is set with attention, and a hot pot of green tea is dropped off right away. They have their entrees numbered in terms of spice level. There was a “10″, and, believe me, I wanted to order that. But, I didn’t want to be too ambitious, so, I went for a “7″ and ordered Hot Sauce Style with Fish (stir fried with cabbage and celery in an authentic Sichuan chili oil hot sauce). So, the portion is huge, I guess it’s meant to share? But, I like ordering my own thing, so, I ended up with some left-overs. Served with a side of white rice, this dish was certainly a spicy 7 (I love spice, but I’m glad I didn’t order the 10). It has great flavor, and the fish is bountiful and delicious.

You can read my full review with photos at http://sprungonfood.com/2014/06/12/han-dynasty/

• Visited June 2014
“Great authentic Szechuan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This place has become popular, so I tend to eat there at lunchtime, which also means delicious AND affordable lunch specials. I've enjoyed everything I've tried, including their superior eggplant, stringbean, and other vegetable dishes. I've become addicted to their salt and pepper shrimp, but am trying other dishes as well, thanks to the guidance of their friendly manager. It also helps that numbers indicate the heat level of the dishes. There are many choices for those who don't like the heat as well. I've taken several friends there and all of them have enjoyed it.

• Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“A top contender of Sichuan cuisine in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I recently visited Han Dynasty after dining at Cafe China – both restaurants that had seemingly exploded onto (or pioneered?) the New York Sichuan scene. I absolutely loved Cafe China and found it hard to fathom that I another Sichuan restaurant could compare but had to try Han Dynasty since it was being hailed by many of my peers and colleagues as the “best”.

It was definitely excellent. The Wontons in Chili Oil are tasty and not as hot and spicy as they look. The smell from the Cumin Style Pork was thick in the air and permeated the restaurant but the dish tasted way better than it smelled - though it was on the border of "too spicy" for me. The Dry Fry Style beef was an excellent combination of flavors and crispy beef that was milder than the Cumin Pork.

Since I tried different dishes from Cafe China, it was a bit hard to compare the two but Han Dynasty definitely took home the award for spiciest. For which restaurant was better, the verdict is still out since they are both excellent.

More at stormypeach.com/han-dynasty-nyc/

• Visited June 2014
Effort, Pennsylvania
“A go-to for Chinese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The portions are fairly sized. We had the fried dumplings (6 pieces), lamb with garlic sauce (white rice included), and beef fried rice without peas. We ended up bringing some of the food home with us. We really had to force ourselves to stop eating- it was that addictive.

Downsides: waited 20 minutes for a table, wait staff seemed overwhelmed so it was hard to get service and our check, but one of the bus boys was on his A game; their fried rice was a little salty, and they don't chill their soda so you end up melting your ice cubes and having lukewarm watery soda, and they don't automatically serve you tea.

Will definitely return, just not during peak dinner hours.