“Very authentic malay food....loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New Malaysia Restaurant

New Malaysia Restaurant
46-48 Bowery, New York City, NY 10013 (Chinatown)
212-964-0284
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Sydney
“Very authentic malay food....loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Visiting New York and stumbled across this gem. My partner ( from Singapore and adores his food) and & I shared the roti canai, haianese chicken and nasi lemak ... and all three dishes impressed.
Wish we were staying longer as there are so many other dishes that looking scrummy!
Oh and don't let the slightly dodgy walkway to the entry put you off.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Groton, MA
“Delicious Malaysian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband and I visited New Malaysia after receiving a recommendation from a Malaysian friend. We were not disappointed. The Roti Canai was so delicious that if we only had that we would have been happy. We also ordered the chicken dish and Hokkien Mee. Service was quick, friendly and efficient. The location is interesting. It is located in an alley or arcade on Bowery. Lunch for the two of us was under $22 (tax included).

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NYS Capital Region
“Worth the search”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

This is a really good place to eat. The food was good, and plenty of it for a reasonable price. The night we went the place was packed, but seating was only few minute wait. The staff was very friendly and courteous, even though it was evident that some spoke very little English (which is quite common in places in this area). The service was swift and efficient, and the language difference was not a problem. We had several different dishes and shared them all for tasting. Everything was really delicious, but I especially liked the Asparagus with shrimps in Belacan sauce. This is something you don’t find just anyplace. My friend really liked the Curry Seafood soup, and said they would get it again, the next time we came here, and we will certainly return. I love different cuisines, and this is really unusual from the hum-drum of most towns and cities. Having travelled in Southeast Asia, and Asia I can tell you that this is as close to authentic as you can get here. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ny
“Good to very good Malaysian food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Roti Canai, much like Pad Thai is to Thai food, is a bellwether by which you can judge whether a Malaysian restaurant has its chops or not. It is a small starter dish of not too spicy curry sauced laced with a few meaty morsels of chicken that is served with a flatbread or crepe.. The Crepe, or Roti, in particular is a good judge of the skill of the kitchen. They should be airy, fluffy, and chewy as well as slightly crunchy with a buttery flavor all at the same time, as they are at Nonya. At New Malaysia, the flavors are there, but we found the crepe itself slightly too thick, and the small pancake diameter wasn't as pleasing as the LP record served with an order at Nonya. The yellow curry was very good, in fact, every bit as good as the one Nonya serves.

I love Ipoh bean sprouts and they are one of the simplest dishes you can imagine. They are bean sprouts blanched for about 30 seconds and garnished with scallions, soy sauce, and sesame oil. On a diet and need a rice or noodle substitute? Ipoh bean sprouts will serve in a pinch. I thought the Ipoh Bean Sprouts were great but Marlon would have liked them just a little crunchier. For heat lovers they are perfectly mated with some Silipadi (see-lee-pa-dee) chili peppers served in soy sauce, available upon request for no charge. The way I remember the name of these chilis is of course to think of Silly Putty, which was ubiquitous in my 70's childhood. If you pressed this magical putty hard enough against a newspaper, you could make an imprint of the funny pages. The putty resembled a big hunk of chewed bubble gum, which is why I'm guessing there are still remnants in my intestinal tract...

For more of my review and pics checkout

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Food was just so so. Service was terrible. Not Recommended!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Four of us went there for lunch on a Saturday. For starter, we ordered two roti chanai and two chicken satay. The roti chanai was good, but the chicken satay was very disappointing. The chicken tasted like normal grilled meat on skewers, and the satay sauce tasted like a bunch of crunchy ground peanuts drenched in melted sugar. The satay does not resemble what authentic satay is suppose to be.

For the main course, we ordered four types of noodles cooked in different style to share. We had the Hokkien, Curry, Chow Kueh Teow, and Asam Laksa. Overall, the noodles were so so. We have eaten much better ones at other places.

Here is the reason why I felt their service was terrible. I was the only one who ate most of the Asam Laksa since this dish is cooked with very unsually ingredients in the broth and not many people are used to the flavor. The dish is spicy, sour, and supposed to come with small pieces of fish and some shrimp paste. First of all, I did not see any fish in the broth, and secondly, there's only "a touch" of shrimp paste on the spoon that came with the noodle. Without these two main ingredients, the noodle was just sour and tasteless. So, I asked the waitress if I could have a little more shrimp paste, but was told "NO." She rudely answered "NO," said that they already put the shrimp paste in the broth, and then walked away. I felt like I had said something wrong or offended her. I did not mind paying for the shrimp paste if that's the reason why she had said no, but I was not even offered that option. What a way to treat their customer.

One more note. Restaurant was very small and tight, and there were too many tables in there. We have to sit very close to the table, and the back of our chairs still literally touching the back of the chairs behind us.

Being borned and rasied in Malaysia for 20+ years and still visit there ocassionally, I believe I know my tastes when it comes to Malaysian food. I was very disappointed with the food and service at this place and will not go back again.

• Visited June 2011