“Extremely disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Les Halles

Les Halles
411 Park Ave South, New York City, NY 10016-8405 (Manhattan)
+1 212-679-4111
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 29th Street
Transit: The 6 Train at the 28th Street stop
Description: Set on Park Avenue South, between 28th and 29th Streets, Brasserie Les Halles serves a collection of classic dishes from the finest brasseries in Paris. The speciality of the house is the French Cuts of Meats, simply char-grilled and served with award-winning French Fries. Les Halles' long list of various steaks comes from the in-house butcher. The French butchering technique looks for unique qualities in each cut, providing different tastes and textures in each type of steak. Les Halles buys Prime American beef, naturally tenderised by two weeks of wet aging. The beef is then dry aged in-house for 21 days at 36-degrees Fahrenheit to concentrate the flavours. The original plaster mouldings in the restaurant date from the early 1900's, when the building was erected to house a restaurant specialising in healthy foods. The most famous menu item at the time - a blend of fresh vegetable juice to order - was later licensed and bottled under the brand V8! The large menu is designed to accommodate all tastes, appetites and budgets, and free Wi-Fi internet access is available throughout.
“Extremely disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Les Halles is recommended by guide books and foodies alike, however our experience did not live up to any of the hype. The service was appauling and lacked the finesse you would expect. The food was extremely disapointing I would certainly not recommend the confit duck which lacked the crispy skin you would expect and the accompaniment of truffle potatoes lacked the truffle, when this was queried the waiter returned with potatoes with extra garlic. My feeling is that the chef mistook garlic for truffle? We rarely complain in a restaurant but it took more than 10 minutes to clear our plates and when we left our seats to pay we had to wait for this also. I would think twice before deciding to choose this restaurant, there are so many other similar and delicious places to eat. I would most certainly not recommend this to a friend or give it the space in any worthwhile guidebook.

Visited July 2013

toronto
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I'd always wanted to eat here and finally manged to get around to it this last visit to NYC.

A very dimly lit restaurant offering French classic bistro food.
A mix of people dressed up (fancy) and classy casual.
The prices are very reasonable for what you are ordering... took me by surprise!
I had a delicious steak and the truffle fries. The fries were heavenly. So crisp and, well, truffly!
The steak was a perfect rare and was amazing. I don't think I left anything on my plate.
I love that this place is old-school, a little trendly but in no way stuck up.
Service was great.
Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Can't wait to go back.

Visited December 2012
Canberra, Australia
“Nice food, pity about the noise!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We (a party of four) ate at Les Halles last night. The food was pretty good (at least it tasted good - I couldn't say what it looked like because the lighting was so low) but the experience was spoiled because the restaurant was so NOISY we could barely hear each other. I'm resisting the temptation to say that Americans talk too loudly, but let's be charitable and say that Les Halles is a victim of it's own success. Come to Les Halles only if you are already deaf ...

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, NY
“Wouldn't go back again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Les Halles and we enjoyed the ambiance more than the food. After being seated at a small table between two others, we asked to move to a corner table. Very nice setting. They had a special on shrimp and oysters during the happy hour, and my wife had some oysters and I ordered some shrimp. The waiter came back and told me that they were out of the shrimp, after which we saw it least 6 orders of shrimp come out of the kitchen for other patrons. Other than that the food was fine...not great, though. Their "famous" fries weren't anything special, but the steaks were good. While the dining room is very nice, we thought that Les Halles was a bit overrated.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bolton
“Not even the ghost of Mr Bourdain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We love Anthony Bourdain and have watched his shows from day one. Did not expect it to be the same as when he was there but it was a bit of a disappointment. You cannot accuse them of muscling in on his fame. There was nothing about him at all - no pictures or cookery books. A bit sad really. Perhaps we were sad for going there in the first place. The food was average. Have eaten better in New York and the other reviewer was right about the fries, average. Better value than expected for New York but when you consider it is a bit out of the way and we needed taxis there and back we would have done better to have eaten nearer the hotel.

• Visited July 2012