“Great. Hands down” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Les Halles

Les Halles
411 Park Ave South, New York City, NY 10016-8405 (Manhattan)
+1 212-679-4111
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 29th Street
Transit: The 6 Train at the 28th Street stop
Description: Set on Park Avenue South, between 28th and 29th Streets, Brasserie Les Halles serves a collection of classic dishes from the finest brasseries in Paris. The speciality of the house is the French Cuts of Meats, simply char-grilled and served with award-winning French Fries. Les Halles' long list of various steaks comes from the in-house butcher. The French butchering technique looks for unique qualities in each cut, providing different tastes and textures in each type of steak. Les Halles buys Prime American beef, naturally tenderised by two weeks of wet aging. The beef is then dry aged in-house for 21 days at 36-degrees Fahrenheit to concentrate the flavours. The original plaster mouldings in the restaurant date from the early 1900's, when the building was erected to house a restaurant specialising in healthy foods. The most famous menu item at the time - a blend of fresh vegetable juice to order - was later licensed and bottled under the brand V8! The large menu is designed to accommodate all tastes, appetites and budgets, and free Wi-Fi internet access is available throughout.
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Great. Hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Great service. Waiter was a stitch.. food was mouthwatering w/o being overly impressed with itself.. as advertised.. Good food in the french style, period. Worth it. You should go.

Visited April 2012

72% Recommend
Austin, Texas
“Great Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

It was my daughter's birthday and she loves the Anthony Bourdain books and programs so this is where she wanted to go. We went around 11 am. We sat in the front with a view outside the windows. She had steak tartar with frites and loved it, couldn't eat it all. Lobster roll was great. All of the menu items we tried were wonderful. Service was efficient, not intrusive. Would go again and would like to try it for dinner.

Rome
“A Parisian brasserie in NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

If that is what you are looking for, Les Halles will do.
I have been at les Halles since 1992 and the place is still the same, tables, chairs, bar et all. So, it has aged a bit. And the light is not great. And the sound level a la New York high ; loud background music at the bar.
The menu has also remained the same with the brasserie classics, escargots de Bourgogne, boudin noir, etc... The steaks are very good . I prefer the hanger steak ( onglet ) and steak au poivre always cooked to perfection ( medium rare for me ) . The steak tartare is prepared at your table so you can decide on how much mustard, capers, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, etc, you want. It will taste just as spicy as you want. The french fries are excellent. The wine list ( French of course ) is good and reasonably priced. It is 50 % off on Mondays .
The service is friendly. As the noise level is too high to have a pleasant conversation in the evenings, I prefer lunch on Saturday or Sunday. At the entrance, on your left , there is a small room with four tables ; much quieter. There is also the terrace but I find the traffic on Park Avenue a bit much !

Vancouver, Canada
“Great atmosphere and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We love Anthony Bourdain, and had to visit Les Halles on our recent trip to NY.

Our server was very gracious and friendly, even going so far as to replace the drink I ordered because I didn't like it. We felt he was funny and attentive without being intrusive. All of the staff - bussers, hostesses, and servers, were all working very hard and doing a great job.

The restaurant is candle-lit, dark, relaxing, and cozy. It reminded me of restaurants in Paris and I loved it. Food was awesome. We had brie for an appetizer and steak frites for our mains. Outstanding! They age their own steak, and it's so flavourful. Wine list was well-varied and reasonably priced. The dessert menu didn't really do it for me, sad to say, but that speaks more to personal preference than the quality of the restaurant.

“Amazing quality food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

I was invited by the manager of Les Halles Park Av to have diner and enjoy some extras from the chef cook that night. We started with some complimentary champagne and escargots. These were superb, dipped in a soft buttery garlic sauce. After the chef cook surpised us with some (not even on the menu yet) , mini conch shells accompanied with a mild, creamy white sauce. I don't remember the name, but always willing to try new things, I absolutely loved the dish. The main course was steak and duck breast. Les Halles is known for its outstanding steaks, so ofcourse I couldn't resist. The steak and the duck were simply the best I had ever had. Super tender and melting in your mouth. It was excellent. The staff took great care of me and my friends and the ambiance was somewhat laid back with a typical French/steakhouse feel to it. Thanks to the manager and the cooks at Les Halles I had an amazing experience overall. I highly recommend it, whilst visiting NYC.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere