“Best Croque Monsieur outside of Paris” 4 of 5 stars
Review of L'Express

L'Express
249 Park Ave S, New York City, NY 10003-1404 (Gramercy Park)
(212) 254-5858
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Express is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,132 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Gramercy Park
Manhattan, NYC
“Best Croque Monsieur outside of Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Every item I've ever eaten here has been tasty, fresh, real, delicious, and beautifully displayed. The french fries are very, very good and very tasty. I know there are many good things on this menu, but I can barely even allow myself to order anything but the Croque Monsieur. It needs to be eaten with a knife and a fork and the fries served with it are almost like eating chocolate cake. The location is great; the people-watching great, the fact that it basically never closes is great, and the service is decent too. Honestly, the only thing I don't like about it is that --- as a serious soda drinker -- the soda needs to be more bubbly. I know. It's stupid. But I NEED my soda bubbly. Sue me.

Visited March 2013

59% Recommend
Melbourne, Australia
“Palm on on tap! DeKoninck in bottles..... Great spot for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We came across L'Express by accident looking for somewhere warm away from the biting wind. We arrived at 1pm, mid week, didn't have to wait for a table for 4 at all. We all had something from the lunch menu which arrived promptly and was really good value (about $11 each) and most importantly tasted great - the super skinny French fries were the skin-on variety which were delicious. Coming from Europe and living in Australia it was great to see Belgian and French beers on tap and at affordable prices = $5-$7 instead of the $10 plus we're often subjected to for imports. The set up inside is very French/Belgian with low lighting and brown walls covered in cigarettes posters.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Plainfield, New Jersey
“Very loud after hours spot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I decided to go there at 230am, thinking french brasserie, coffee, quiet. It was every club kid getting out and going there to continue the party. Service was solid, food was solid and coffee drinks were good. Tables were on top of eachother though, I swore I could almost taste my neighbor's food. Music was loud, on top of the crowd noise. If you're looking to continue the after hours party, this is your place!!! Otherwise, go to a diner to wind down. I would try for brunch, got good reviews.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NY
“No Express”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Spend your hard earned money elsewhere. Went here 3/22 about 8pm. Of, course, busy and loud, but it is Friday night. Not a problem, wife and I have been here once before. Ordered a special, venison sausages, waitress at first says they may be out of it, checks with kitchen, yes, it's back on the menu. I'm glad, or so I thought. Server (wearing a hair net) delivers my wife's steak frites and a plate of venison bourguignon for me. I tell him it's not what I ordered, I ordered the venison sausages. He gets surly, explains what the dish is, like it's my mistake. Begrudgingly, he takes it away, obviously pissed. Waitress comes back, apologizes, says it's not her fault, tells me my dish will be right out. 20 minutes later, still no dinner for me. She passes again, stops to apologize, I tell her I no longer want it. She brings out two cookies on a plate as a peace offering. The useless manager asked if we wanted the cookies wrapped to go. No other offer to compensate for my not having dinner. Last time for this place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“French inspired brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

L'Express is set up like a large French brasserie - that's a good thing when it comes to the food, not so much when it comes to the noise and crowded dining room. The brunch menu has a nice range of lunch and breakfast food, all well prepared. The service is decent. My only real critique is that they jam the tables in so tight that you can barely navigate the dining room to get to your table, the bathroom, outside, etc. And it tends to get a little loud.

• Visited March 2013