“Great boutique hotel great staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel

You added Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sunday Nights 50% off
Ranked #156 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Great boutique hotel great staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Great boutique hotel great staff, front desk staff izabel and lisa,professional doorman and bellman. Nice clean room.Convenient location. Lighting in the room was romantic. Service was quick and staff was very knowledgeable. Definitely recommend this hotel. Great stay.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Firstly the location from time square is quite a walk, the staff weren't so friendly except for few doorman.
Our room was average , kitchen smelt cooking oil and unclean on my standard .
The window blinds took 2 days to fix after I reported it .

• Stayed July 2014
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed 21-26 November in a 2 queen bed room overlooking 50th.

The room is huge by NYC standards with all the amenities you'd expect. Loads of movies and sport on the TV too if you're bothered.

Comfy beds - all good.

Hotel lounge is great - good and strong wifi, wine service for an hour in the evening where the management and staff actually want to find out about their guests and whether they can help further. Impressive and welcoming.

All in all, a great stay; a great location and somewhere I'd hugely recommend for a more attentive and personal stay.

Room Tip: 5th floor overlooking 50th Street let you watch the world go by, and whilst there was some noise, it...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed as a group with 4 rooms across the hotel for a weekend. All of the rooms were large for NYC and the decor was new. Three of the rooms had full kitchens which was helpful with two babies. The Hotel accommodated our twins with two cribs and lots of space. The Doorman was almost always there to open the door which was nice.

Any issues we had were quickly resolved, and the room rate was good for NYC at Xmas.

The hotel is close to the 51st st 6th line station and also the MN line. We had no problems with the subway access. It is also approx 5-7 minutes to grand central or 5th ave.

I would recommend the hotel. It may not have high end service (it is more of a basic service concept) but for a weekend in NYC with lots planned that worked for us.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
westport, ct.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The biggest complaint I have about this hotel is the staff. The check-in people are inexperienced and totally not welcoming. For a hotel of this caliber they need higher caliber people at the front desk. They don't smile and growl if you ask a question. The central reservations people are just awful! I wanted to book a month since I had to move out of my apartment temporarily and they acted as if they were doing me in a favor. In fact I will be calling corporate headquarters to tell them about my experience.
The room is average with wallpaper peeling off bathroom wall. My phone was broken and the lock had to be repaired when I checked in. Not what I was anticipating after a very long day! They provide you with one little bar of soap, no shower cap, or any other bathroom amenities besides shampoo and conditioner. Please...Even Holiday Inns give you more!! Depressing feeling.

This has potential because of location but it needs help!

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location is a somewhat obvious huge pro, depending what you want to do in Manhattan. My wife and I were in for a little Christmas in the City getaway and for that it was perfect. We took the E subway line in from JFK to the 53rd and Lexington stop and then walked a few blocks to the hotel.

The room wasn't ready, but since we arrived just after checkout ended, I wouldn't really expect anything different. The previous night was a Saturday and the desk person said it was sold out, which I believe. Nonetheless we received a phone call that the room was ready a couple hours later. We were out enjoying the city, so didn't get to our room until much later. We stored our bags at the hotel in the meantime and it was quick and easy to get them when we returned to the hotel.

The lobby is very warm and welcoming. There was a sitting area with comfortable furniture and a great fireplace to relax by. Since the temps were in the 40s, this was nice to come back to each evening.

There were three elevators and we never had to wait long for one. The second-floor lounge had a wine reception included with the room cost each day between 5 and 6. Unfortunately we just missed it one night, so I can't really comment on it. The lounge was comfortable, though, and had free wifi.

The room was a good size for New York or really anywhere I've been recently. We had an incredible rate from Jetsetter, which made it even better. The bed and pillows was firm and the sheets and blanks were warm, which became important (explained below). There wasn't much of a view, but our room was on the 8th floor (804) and there wasn't much street sound, though earplugs were provided just in case.

It was nice to have a little kitchen, though we really only used the fridge for some snacks and water. It's a definite increase on the value of the room so you don't necessarily need to get everything out at a restaurant.

Now the reason it became important that the blanks and sheets were warm. The window in the bathroom was thin or not insulated or both. The street sound and cool air were significant enough that it seemed like the window was open. I tried a couple times, but couldn't find it to be open. I think it was just a lame window. The result was that even though we left the thermostat set at 70 when we left for the day, the room temp was about 65 when we came in. It wasn't intolerable since it was 40 outside and it warmed up some when we closed the bathroom door and kicked the heat up. We were only really in the room to sleep anyway so it didn't detract from the overall experience. I don't know if our room was an anomaly. On a positive note about the bathroom, the shower got nice and hot with strong pressure.

I would consider coming back if I got another great deal, but would probably consider somewhere else first.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us from your recent stay. We also love our great location as we are right in the middle of everything that New York has to offer, especially at this time of year.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the window in your guestroom bathroom. I have discussed this with our Director of Engineering, who is taking a look into correcting this issue. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention as it is not the norm.

I hope you consider future opportunities for us to endear you to our hotel. Feel free to reach out to me directly at bgehlich@affinia.com.

Warm Regards,

Brian Gehlich
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I met a long time friend in NYC to see plays and visit museums. The location of this hotel could not be beat (short blocks from the Lexington and 53rd St. Subway Station, accessible from the Air Train at JFK to Jamaica Station). The price (for this part of Manhatten) was excellent. The room was spacious with two queen sized beds, a desk and other storage. The bathroom was a little awkward because the remodel obviously had to go where the plumbing was. Really, the only downside. The staff were wonderful. The all day coffee/tea service, complementary wine tasting and free WiFi in the second floor lounge were handy (although perhaps free WiFi in the room would be a more current standard.)

Room Tip: We were on floor 12 which put us above traffic noise, although I think think the multipaned windows...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review! I couldn’t be happier to hear that our spacious rooms were the perfect accommodations for you. I am glad you had an opportunity to enjoy our daily Wine Hour Receptions hosted in the Club Room lounge.

Thank you for choosing us as your hotel of choice when staying in NYC. It will be our pleasure to make your future stay another memorable one.

Best Regards,

Brian Gehlich

Been to Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!