“Large Rooms, Good Location, and New Decor” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel

You added Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunday Nights 50% off
Ranked #162 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Large Rooms, Good Location, and New Decor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed as a group with 4 rooms across the hotel for a weekend. All of the rooms were large for NYC and the decor was new. Three of the rooms had full kitchens which was helpful with two babies. The Hotel accommodated our twins with two cribs and lots of space. The Doorman was almost always there to open the door which was nice.

Any issues we had were quickly resolved, and the room rate was good for NYC at Xmas.

The hotel is close to the 51st st 6th line station and also the MN line. We had no problems with the subway access. It is also approx 5-7 minutes to grand central or 5th ave.

I would recommend the hotel. It may not have high end service (it is more of a basic service concept) but for a weekend in NYC with lots planned that worked for us.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
westport, ct.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The biggest complaint I have about this hotel is the staff. The check-in people are inexperienced and totally not welcoming. For a hotel of this caliber they need higher caliber people at the front desk. They don't smile and growl if you ask a question. The central reservations people are just awful! I wanted to book a month since I had to move out of my apartment temporarily and they acted as if they were doing me in a favor. In fact I will be calling corporate headquarters to tell them about my experience.
The room is average with wallpaper peeling off bathroom wall. My phone was broken and the lock had to be repaired when I checked in. Not what I was anticipating after a very long day! They provide you with one little bar of soap, no shower cap, or any other bathroom amenities besides shampoo and conditioner. Please...Even Holiday Inns give you more!! Depressing feeling.

This has potential because of location but it needs help!

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The location is a somewhat obvious huge pro, depending what you want to do in Manhattan. My wife and I were in for a little Christmas in the City getaway and for that it was perfect. We took the E subway line in from JFK to the 53rd and Lexington stop and then walked a few blocks to the hotel.

The room wasn't ready, but since we arrived just after checkout ended, I wouldn't really expect anything different. The previous night was a Saturday and the desk person said it was sold out, which I believe. Nonetheless we received a phone call that the room was ready a couple hours later. We were out enjoying the city, so didn't get to our room until much later. We stored our bags at the hotel in the meantime and it was quick and easy to get them when we returned to the hotel.

The lobby is very warm and welcoming. There was a sitting area with comfortable furniture and a great fireplace to relax by. Since the temps were in the 40s, this was nice to come back to each evening.

There were three elevators and we never had to wait long for one. The second-floor lounge had a wine reception included with the room cost each day between 5 and 6. Unfortunately we just missed it one night, so I can't really comment on it. The lounge was comfortable, though, and had free wifi.

The room was a good size for New York or really anywhere I've been recently. We had an incredible rate from Jetsetter, which made it even better. The bed and pillows was firm and the sheets and blanks were warm, which became important (explained below). There wasn't much of a view, but our room was on the 8th floor (804) and there wasn't much street sound, though earplugs were provided just in case.

It was nice to have a little kitchen, though we really only used the fridge for some snacks and water. It's a definite increase on the value of the room so you don't necessarily need to get everything out at a restaurant.

Now the reason it became important that the blanks and sheets were warm. The window in the bathroom was thin or not insulated or both. The street sound and cool air were significant enough that it seemed like the window was open. I tried a couple times, but couldn't find it to be open. I think it was just a lame window. The result was that even though we left the thermostat set at 70 when we left for the day, the room temp was about 65 when we came in. It wasn't intolerable since it was 40 outside and it warmed up some when we closed the bathroom door and kicked the heat up. We were only really in the room to sleep anyway so it didn't detract from the overall experience. I don't know if our room was an anomaly. On a positive note about the bathroom, the shower got nice and hot with strong pressure.

I would consider coming back if I got another great deal, but would probably consider somewhere else first.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us from your recent stay. We also love our great location as we are right in the middle of everything that New York has to offer, especially at this time of year.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the window in your guestroom bathroom. I have discussed this with our Director of Engineering, who is taking a look into correcting this issue. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention as it is not the norm.

I hope you consider future opportunities for us to endear you to our hotel. Feel free to reach out to me directly at bgehlich@affinia.com.

Warm Regards,

california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I met a long time friend in NYC to see plays and visit museums. The location of this hotel could not be beat (short blocks from the Lexington and 53rd St. Subway Station, accessible from the Air Train at JFK to Jamaica Station). The price (for this part of Manhatten) was excellent. The room was spacious with two queen sized beds, a desk and other storage. The bathroom was a little awkward because the remodel obviously had to go where the plumbing was. Really, the only downside. The staff were wonderful. The all day coffee/tea service, complementary wine tasting and free WiFi in the second floor lounge were handy (although perhaps free WiFi in the room would be a more current standard.)

Room Tip: We were on floor 12 which put us above traffic noise, although I think think the multipaned windows...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review! I couldn’t be happier to hear that our spacious rooms were the perfect accommodations for you. I am glad you had an opportunity to enjoy our daily Wine Hour Receptions hosted in the Club Room lounge.

Thank you for choosing us as your hotel of choice when staying in NYC. It will be our pleasure to make your future stay another memorable one.

Best Regards,

San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My friends and I arrive from California early and decided to check in before we start exploring the city. When we got to the hotel reception told us our room wasn't ready yet and that we would receive a phone call when our room was ready. In the meantime we were told we could store our luggage at the hotel until we were able to check in. When we were preparing to bring our luggage to the attendant for storage he snaps his fingers and points to the ground barking "here here here" as if we were a herd of dogs. He didn't have the decency to greet us.

Once our luggage was stored we headed out on our trek to explore the city. By the time we got back to the hotel it was after 10PM and still no call to let us know our room was ready. When we checked in to the hotel we were told that the particular hotel package that we purchased included complimentary breakfast for 2. The complimentary breakfast consists of fruit, boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, and pastries. We weren't in the mood for the continental breakfast but grabbed a piece of fruit on the way out. When we proceeded to leave the hotel to start our day the kitchen manager, Ruby yelled down the stairs to us that we need to pay $7.00 for the banana and apple we took. It felt as if she was accusing us of stealing. I told her that the breakfast came with our hotel stay and she rolled her eyes and continuing to yell at me down the stairs in front of other guests telling me that the breakfast was not included. When I went downstairs to complain about Ruby the front desk clerk told me that we did have to pay and that breakfast was not included with our meal so we gave her both the banana and apple back and let her know how unprofessional and embarrassing Ruby was acting toward us. If we had not already paid for our stay we would have checked out of the hotel and stayed somewhere else.
When we got back to the hotel that night, we approached Kristy, the night front desk agent to ask her if in fact our breakfast was complimentary and when she looked at the notes in the system she said yes it is. When we told her about the humiliation we experienced with Ruby and the other desk clerk she apologized and offered to comp the amount of money we spent on breakfast elsewhere to make up for it. She was awesome. She checked in with us regularly to ensure our stay was ok. If it weren't for Kristy I don't know what we would have done.

Toward the end of our stay we met two really nice door men, Manny and Rome, who were the first people at the hotel to actually speak to us. It was surprising how nice they were considering all of the other folks in the hotel barely said 2 words to us. The thing I don't understand is how we could be treated so poorly at a hotel that charges over $400 per night. We were all professionals and didn't do anything wrong but the treatment we received was inexcusable and downright humiliating. This was the 1st trip to NYC for my friends and I was embarrassed that they had to experience this kind of treatment at a hotel that was supposed to be nice and was recommended and booked for my by American Express. I will be letting my travel agent at AMEX know of our experience to ensure that this hotel is not recommended to other customers.

When we checked out I had the pleasure of meeting Gloria. She was clearly genuine and sincere and when she asked us how our stay was we let her know that she was probably one of the few bright spots aside from Manny, Rome, and Christy at that hotel. They were all so great and so attentive. Aside from their great service and proper etiquette this place was a bust. No more Affinia stays for us.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for your honest feedback following your recent stay at the Fifty. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on the excellent service provided by some of our team, Kristy, Gloria, Rome and Manny, who made an impact on an otherwise challenging stay and I hope you were able to enjoy your time in NYC. I do regret to learn about the lapses in service you encountered. Please be assured that your feedback will be reviewed with the entire team as this is not the norm.

I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t thoroughly enjoy your stay and hope to have an opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. I invite you to contact me directly via TripAdvisor Messenger. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind regards,

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spent 3 nights at this hotel. The staff was very competent and ready to help in any possible way. One of the front desk employees, Gloria B., was especially helpful. She definitely made sure my stay was going to be comfortable. Room service was adequate and the breakfast buffet filling. i really liked the free coffee or tea being available all through the day in the lounge area.
I will definitely come back!

Room Tip: I would suggest away from the elevator
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I wanted to personally thank you for the kind review. It so gratifying to hear you had such positive experience at the Fifty. Our Guest Service Agent Gloria really exemplifies hospitality and she will be thrilled to read your comments. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed our cozy Club Room, breakfast and In Room Dining.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until your next stay.

Warm regards,

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is very well located for a midtown focus and the online presence looked good. Unfortunately, the limited beauty is only skin deep. This is not a high end boutique hotel that it certainly aspires to be. They have put a new veneer on a very old hotel with bad "bones". Rooms are small and have lower ceilings. The bathrooms are tiny and are literally hard to turn around in. Water pressure is weak and the towels are not suitable for a home car wash.
The elevators are slow and too small for an over-booked hotel during the holiday season.
Service was not attentive but nice once you got their attention. The doorman was exceptionally good though. The Affinia offers a free wine hour in the evening but the selection was very low end so I passed. Breakfast is available for almost $20 but you can do much better down the street for half the cost.
Sorry Affinia but perhaps the rest of your staff should be trained by your doorman. Best to select one of the many great hotels in NYC at similar rates.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. The goal of our team is to create memorable experiences for our guests who can now also enjoy our recent $19 million top-to-bottom redesign of all rooms and public areas. I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t thoroughly enjoy your stay. Thank you for choosing us and helping us improve the quality of our service.

Warm regards,

Brian Gehlich

Been to Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!