“Great room with a easy location for travel around NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Affinia 50

Save Saved
You added Affinia 50 to your Saves list
Affinia 50
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunday Nights 50% off
Ranked #169 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great room with a easy location for travel around NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

While visiting NYC it's nice to be able come 'home' to a peaceful quit bedroom to recharge before the next day's activities. The room was as described and all pre-arrival requests were done. The location is a quick walk to the subway or bus.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I don't even know where to begin... From the moment we arrived in the lobby of the Affinia 50 we were treated like family.
We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, a few hours before our check-in. We were promptly shown to the second floor club room which has everything from tea/coffee facilities to table tennis! The free wifi in here helped too, after our 7 hour flight it was nice to let the folks at home we had arrived!
We got to our room at about 3pm and were in love the minute we opened the door. We had booked a double twin room online and were very impressed. It was like our own mini suite. So spacious, 2 huge, very comfortable queen beds,(laden with the fluffiest pillows!) mini fridge, large wardrobe and very decent size bathroom (both shower and bath)
Hotel is within walking distance of almost anywhere (with the right footwear!) only 2 blocks from the Rockefeller Centre. We walked absolutely everywhere bar the 3 bus tours we took.
Never had any issues during our 9 day stay bar one evening we came home (approx 8pm) and the toilet was making "funny noises" but one quick call to reception and it was sorted in 10 minutes.
Cannot be more complimentary of the staff, the girls on the front desk, the housekeeping staff, the gentleman on the info desk (second floor) and last but not least, the doormen. In particular, "Rome," Look up gentleman in the dictionary and you will see this mans face. He really went that extra step to make sure we felt right at ease, he used to greet us in the evening with "Welcome Home, ladies", a lovely touch. He truly goes above and beyond his call of duty.
I have not stopped singing the praises of the Affinia 50 since my return home (almost 2weeks ago.) I will be recommending this hotel to anyone who will listen to me and I will most definitely be making a return visit to see my NYC family.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I usually stay on the West Side when I come to New York, but for this trip, I had business across town so I booked the Affinia 50, largely on the strength of the Trip Advisor reviews and my understanding that the rooms contained kitchenettes. I was surprised, delighted and amazed to see that my room (a junior suite, which cost me less than the cramped room in another hotel I stayed in last year) was a sleek and streamlined studio apartment. I was going to say that I felt very much at home in it, but I never really lived anywhere that nice when I lived in New York!

There was an eat-in kitchen and the furniture was genuinely comfortable and trendy. The bathroom was spacious and clean. The housekeeper was extremely helpful and made up my room each day at times that suited my convenience. The front desk staff were lovely and friendly, and accommodated several non-standard requests, as well as ooh-ing and ah-ing most gratifyingly when I came downstairs in my evening dress.

My only reservation -- and it isn't about the hotel -- is the neighbourhood. I didn't like it very much and it seemed much more expensive than the West Fifties. Saying that, towards the end of my trip, I discovered that if I walked east to First and Second Avenues rather than west towards Lexington, Park, etc., I found restaurants and shops that were nicer and designed more for people who lived in an area rather than worked there.

Room Tip: Have to be honest -- this is a very noisy location. The hotel provides ear plugs, but I wouldn'...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have never been a fan of the boutique NYC hotels,all mouth no trousers ....but at the affina 50 we found the boutique style intimacy but with decent size modern,comfortable bedrooms.
The club lounge on the 2nd floor is a great place to chill during the wine hour where complimentary wine is served and they also serve a complimentary continental breakfast there in the mornings...
The gym is small but has all you need....all the staff very friendly and helpful.... Price is reasonable for NYC and midtown location too....

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I've been visiting New York for more years than I care to remember but this is the first visit when I've thought the hotel really made a difference to the stay.
Yes, it has location ... but thanks to Google Maps it's difficult to find a bad location these days. From Affinia 50 you can walk to almost every major art gallery, museum, collection, Central Park, Times Square (with comfortable shoes) and beyond.
I have never stayed in a New York hotel that felt so 'connected' to everything.

The room was big and bright. It had a fully functional kitchen....which even if you are only using it to make tea and coffee, as we did, makes a huge difference to the feeling of space - which is so often lacking in New York City 'shoe box' rooms.
This hotel is part of the Denihan Group and I later discovered that all it's NYC properties are ex apartment buildings and for this reason every room gets at least a kitchenette.

These days we have come to expect so much from hotels that it is easy to take comfortable beds, crisp linen, an over supply of towels and spotless housekeeping for granted. All of which, and more, was on offer at this property.

The hotel does not offer free WiFi - it's paid for in the room - but there is excellent free WiFi in the Lobby and the first floor lounges
Another nice touch is the complimentary 'Happy Hour' (wine, bar snacks, soft drinks, tea, coffee) every evening in the first floor lounges.

So, what sets a hotel experience apart has to be it's staff.
The Affinia 50 staff can't possibly be hand picked - but it seems like it. In fact you'd think the place was family owned and staffed. From the first 'Hello' to the last 'Goodbye' this hotel feels 'comfortable'. If there was anything else that our housekeeping maid could have done (within the bounds of legality) to make our stay better, I don't know what it would have been.

However, one star sounds out. A doorman named Rome.
This gentleman should give master classes in putting out the Welcome mat.
On one occasion I got in the lift with a newly arrived guest who had just been escorted to the elevator by Rome. The guest told me that It's Rome's ability to make him feel at home that has brought him back to the hotel for years.

I'm not sure if it's right to mention another property in a review - but this mention only adds to the '50 experience'. Right next door is a hotel with a roof terrace bar. I don't recall the name of either (but see! Rome has lodged in my mind) but it's well worth a visit for the view over the surrounding buildings - just don't wear trainers on a Friday and Saturday.

Thanks Affinia for a memorable stay. Discovering you was a delight. We will certainly be back.

Will Rome still be there? Hmmmm! If I owned a PR company I'd poach him in an instant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Affinia 50 is a great hotel. It is centrally located to everything you need. The staff are great. It is clean and very well presented. I would without a doubt recommend this hotel in a heart beat. We would definitely return here as we were extremely pleased with everything it offered.

• Stayed August 2014
Marlton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the Affinia 50 last weekend for one night. It was a great hotel! The check in process was nice and easy. They even let me use the AAA rate even though I didn't have my card with me. The room was super nice and BIG for NYC. The bed was very comfy.

Location in NYC is relative but it worked out really well for us. I love that part of the city. I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place to stay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Affinia 50? Share your experiences!