“Rooms were good, but just too noisy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Affinia 50

Save Saved
You added Affinia 50 to your Saves list
Affinia 50
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25% off
Ranked #180 of 452 hotels in New York City
Oxted, United Kingdom
“Rooms were good, but just too noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My room was to a good standard: modern with a comfy bed and a choice of pillows, and the bathroom was small but everything worked. The concierge was fantastic at recommending good restaurants near by for dinner, as the hotel doesn't have it's own restaurant.. Unfortunately however, the constant noise of sirens (the hotel is on the same block as a fire station and a police station) disturbed every night of my two week stay, leaving me completely sleep deprived, despite the hotel-provided ear plugs. Another downside was the cost of the wifi; although I was staying for two weeks, the hotel said that wifi wasn't included in the package, and it would cost USD 14.95 per day. Other reviewers have commented positively on the happy hour - unfortunately these were too early in the evening for business visitors to benefit from. On the whole, although the hotel was reasonably cheap (for Manhattan), I wouldn't stay here again because a hotel has to offer a decent night's sleep to be of any value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great Mid-Town East Location, but the best part is the size of the room! I shared a double-room on e a recent trip with my Mother (who is 70) so it was important to have a room that was big enough for two - and had a lounge area and a kitchenette for Mum to make a cup of tea, after I had exhausted her walking around the city.
This was by far the biggest room that I've ever had in NYC - and fit our needs perfectly.
The staff are friendly, and made it feel like a home away from home.
The beds were comfortable and by New York standards the hotel was incredibly quiet, considering it was a few blocks from Sax Fifth Avenue and the Rockefeller Centre.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We needed a comfortable place to stay before my husband's surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. We were looking for an affordable room that was comfortable and offered a refrigerator and possible microwave for a necessary liquid diet.
Affinia 50 provided that for us. Our room came with a refrigerator but the staff was able to provide a microwave that fit on the desk. A grocery store was 1 1/2 bock away for us to find food. The doorman was informative about food options for our needs.
The room was comfortable, clean. and well-appointed. On the website, after making a reservation, we were able to choose free extras: a pillow menu, a relaxation kit (yoga mat, weights, videos, etc.) for free. Other options were available for a cost.
The free wine hour was a nice touch.
Because we were satisfied with our stay before a difficult hospital stay, we booked a room for a post-op visit.
The only con is that free wifi was not offered, I thought the price was too high.

Room Tip: The hotel is undergoing some renovations. This was not a problem while we were there but did effect...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel itself was great, with convenient location, rooms 2 queen beds (rare in the city) and a wine hour with pretty good wines. This review is specifically for the excellent concierge service we got. David Bach gave us excellent tips on how to enjoy the city. With his suggestions, we enjoyed the city a lot more than we expected -- the tram/gondola ride to Roosevelt island, the walk on Brooklyn bridge, the paddle boats in Central Park, Dylan's Candy Bar...to name a few. He helped us with tickets and helped us with reprinting the tickets when we misplaced them. His assistance with our trip is is very much appreciated. I would recommend Affinia 50, just for his presence. As I said, the hotel itself is very good too. Thanks, David.

• Stayed August 2014
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I write this as I still lie in the comfortable bed of this hotel. I'm here with a teenager and the room managed to impress! We were upgraded by the wonderful front desk staff from a two queen bed room (booked with a good for NYC AAA/CAA rate) to a junior suite. The suite is huge by my standards. The room is clean, there is a kitchenette (the ice in the fridge was gross but the front desk promptly sent more up as there are no ice machines). The room temperature was fine, no outside noise disrupted my sleep. There were lots of plugs for all of our devices to charge and the wifi is free with the CAA/ AAA rate (although only for two devices which I think is cheating out. WiFi should be free at hotels). It seems the fancier the hotel you stay at the more they want to gouge you for wifi.

They have a luggage room that you can store your stuff in while you get the most out of your last day in the city.

I've stayed at the Affinia Manhattan before and was equally impressed.

I wish hotels weren't so expensive here but they are and that being said, I highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I spent one night at the Affina 50. Being from NYC, I needed to be right in the area as I had an early interview the next morning. There are TONS of hotels to choose from in NYC, and there are a lot of hotels that are VERY expensive and you don't get much for what you pay. Affina 50 was moderately priced, but it was a good value for a clean hotel room that is located in Midtown East. When staying at a hotel in NYC, one should expect the rooms to be smaller then at a hotel in a different city or state. These rooms were average size for a NYC hotel. It is close to public transportation, and within walking distance to tourist destinations. I brought my dog with me and usually there is an additional pet fee at hotels, but at the Affina, my dog stayed for free. They also left a pet bed, food and water bowl, and a toy for him in the room. I thought this was great! If you are looking for a moderately priced hotel (by nyc standards) that is near subway/bus stops and you can easily travel from place to place and is clean, stay here. It is not the most glamorous hotel, but its a good choice and conveniently located. I would recommend requesting a room on a high floor because the city can get very noisy at night, and if possible, get a room towards the end of the hall. My room was right next to the elevators and I could hear guests talking outside.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor and towards the end of the hall if possible!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Creedmoor, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We can't recommend this hotel enough. Great experience. Rooms were great....we wanted two queen beds because we were traveling with 2 teenage girls. Size of room was excellent for NYC. kitchenette was nice addition. Staff was incredibly nice and accomodating. We got early check in and we had our bags held for a few hours after check out. Very easy, no hassle. My only issue (and it's minor) is that the Concierge could have been a bit more knowledgable about the city. She said she hadn't been in NYC long (came from San Fran) and several things I asked about she didn't know. However, she gave us a great recommendation for dinner..so that's a plus!

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 queens are a great choice for a family.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Affinia 50? Share your experiences!