“Wonderful unless there's not an "R" in the month of your stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel

You added Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Twice As Nice - Save 22%
Ranked #180 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful unless there's not an "R" in the month of your stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

There's an old saying, somewhat based in fact (at least historically), that one should not eat oysters in the months of May, June, July, and August, due to the higher risk of spoilage in hot weather -- a caution perhaps ameliorated by modern mobile refrigeration. I thought that this caution might be re-purposed to apply to the Affinia 50, a mostly-dandy hotel near the corner of E 50th and Third Avenue. It's undergone a thorough renovation and the results are good. The rooms, while small, are comfortable and well-equipped. When I asked about where to get a morning New York Times, the desk lady said, in effect, "How about outside your door?" and a complimentary copy was there on each of our four mornings, including Sunday. While the continental buffet breakfast is no bargain (about $17), there is free coffee and tea in the morning and a 5-6 pm Happy Hour daily where pretty nice wines are poured at no charge. So, lots to like. Only one problem: NYC was hot and very humid during our stay. The a-c in the room could not be set lower than 66 degrees and, given the humidity, this did not make for the easiest drift-off to sleep. I assumed this was a system setting, not a glitch in our room's unit, and judging from the previous review I was right. Perhaps if it had not been so humid outside the indoor a-c would have been fine.
The solution would be to allow the a-c to be set to a lower setting, at least initially. My room a-c unit at home has a "sleep" setting by which, after a couple of hours, the temperature setting is allowed to creep up by four degrees (F), the theory being colder is better to go to sleep but a bit warmer is OK to stay asleep.
So while I would heartily recommend Affinia 50 for a stay in cool weather, I'd hesitate to be so bullish on a summer stay. Hence the oyster analogy with which I began, except I'd probably put May and the last half of September in the OK zone.
While the previous reviewer strongly disliked being close to the elevators, we were as close as one could get and had no problem with noise (either from the mechanism or the passengers). In fact, one of the many nice things about the Affinia 50 is that it has THREE elevators, so even at "rush hours" you shouldn't wait too long for one with room.

Room Tip: If you reserve over the internet, you may get free in-room Wi-Fi. There is always free Wi-Fi in the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your gracious comments. Our artfully redesigned rooms are approachable, offering a “home away from home” for guests who can feel as though they are in a New York City apartment. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful with your requests and that you had an opportunity to enjoy our daily Wine Hour Receptions hosted in the Club Room lounge. Although it appears that you experienced some temperature related challenges during your stay, please rest assured that this is not typical of our air conditioning system. I am also glad that you noticed how the additional elevator we installed during our renovation enhances the guest experience by avoiding unnecessary waits.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Brian Gehlich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

As a long time repeat Affinia 50 guest, my latest stay will be my last. I made a reservation more than 5 months in advance requesting a high floor away from the elevator. Upon arrival I was given room 614, a low floor next to the elevator. When I requested a different room, I was told the hotel was completely booked. One would think that after being a loyal, repeat guest for over 10 years, some type of curiosity would have been extended. Additionally upon check in, i also inquired as to whether the air conditioning in the room was working since there were problems with the a/c my two previous stays. I was assured that the a/c was working fine. After entering the room I noticed there was water on the floor of the kitchenette which I mopped up and one of the curtains was hanging off the rod allowing the sun into the room. I had to stand on a chair to hang them back up. Our bathroom door did not close completely or lock and I had to call for maintenance to fix it. Mind you, this hotel reportedly recently completed a multi million dollar renovation. Due to high temperatures in Manhattan, I set the room thermostat to 66 degrees to bring the warm, sticky room air down. By morning the room temperature was still warm, uncomfortable and humid. Maintenance was called. The next day, the a/c was still not working and I was told it was broken in the entire hotel and was given a box fan for the room. When the a/c was fixed, the air in my room was still not cooling the room. I spoke with the manager and maintenance was again called to fix the a/c. Next day it was still the cooling properly. When I spoke to the manager again, I was told my a/c was working fine and there was nothing they could do. I asked to switch rooms and was taken to see a room also next to the elevator and it was a smaller room type than I had reserved. This was not acceptable to me. Due to the time and effort spent by me on these hotel issues while on vacation and the lack of concern on management's part is the reason I will NEVER stay at this hotel again,

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us. The goal of our team is to create memorable experiences for our guests who can now also enjoy our recent $19 million top-to-bottom redesign of all rooms and public areas. I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t thoroughly enjoy your stay and hope to have an opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. I invite you to contact me directly at bgehlich@affinia.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Warm regards,

Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Affinia 50 is in great central location. Newly remodeled rooms, lobby but rooms were small. No big surprise in NYC but other Affinias will get you larger rooms if your traveling with kids. Staff was very nice. Checked out of hotel only to realize several hours later that my son left his special blanket in the bed. Called housekeeping and the woman went and looked for it herself and found it in the laundry! Fortunately, we were still sightseeing and stopped by the hotel on our way home. They had a great deal that included valet parking which worked out great.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are decent, the one bedroom suite is a great size room for NYC. location is excellent, very central and walk to 5th ave and 15 min walk to Central Park.

But lobby is disappointing, no restaurant in the hotel. and worst of all peak summer and air conditioning conked off in the night in entire hotel. Extremely uncomfortable in this heat, with AC for whole night.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am disappointed to hear about the challenges you faced due to the AC system temporarily going down which I can assure you is not the norm.

I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. Feel free to reach out to me via TripAdvisor Messenger. I do hope you give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to customer service once the redesign work is completed.

Best regards,

new york city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Recently stayed at the Affinia on business. Un-refundable internet rate was over $400 for a room that was miniscule and so charmless and shabby and bare bones that there wasnt even a shower cap in the bathroom! Speaking of bathroom, the tub dripped all night, the walls showed signs everywhere of moisture, the bed sheets were so worn that my feet kept snagging on loose threads.
The service at check-in felt like i was at a truck stop paying for gas. My room #405 looked out on a disgusting back alley and i am not usually averse to backsides of manhattan hotels as they are often quite quiet but tis was beyond depressing. Everything in the hotel was crooked and ill placed like the signs and pictures had been put up in darkness by people unfamiliar with a carpentry level.
Sad, awful place at any price but at the one i was charged it's highway robbery.
I tried to get out of my second night but if you are looking for a break from these people you can forget it: they stuck to their guns with a complete lack of flexibility insuring that i was highly motivated to warn any unsuspecting travelers to stay away.
STAY AWAY!
I've stayed a few times at The Benjamin a few doors up and it's miles better and the service is actually very gracious for a mid-price hotel.
This place makes you feel so poor....my flight was canceled and i was going to be obliged to spend yet another night, instead i chose to stay elsewhere even though it was pouring rain and there were no hotels nearby available.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The newly renovated rooms are perfectly comfortable with good lighting, closet space with a safe, a desk and chair as well as an upholstered one. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows and although there was not a view to the street I was in town for meetings and wasn't there during much daylight. The bathroom had plenty of towels, hair dryer and shampoo in the shower and the only thing missing overall was a makeup mirror for those of us over 35 yo! Also it's around the corner from Essa Bagel on 3rd Ave which has great NY bagels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

No where else in New York I'd ever stay again!

Last year I stayed @ the Dumont, in May I stayed @ the Gardens and last week stayed @ the 50...amazing experience every time ( and I'm not always easy to please).
I don't mind admitting that I'm a bit of a hotel snob. Especially when it comes to big touristy cities. So, for me to stick with 1 brand because I hold all of their properties in high regard is surprising to me and all my friends who know how much I travel.

Last weeks trip included kids 6 and 14 (not mine lol) and there was enough going on for both ages to enjoy and stay stimulated.
Wine hour! Hello! Need I say more?
Next door - Upstairs - roof top patio lounge on 30th floor!
Staff - that will go out in the pouring rain for you ( I wouldn't let him even though he offered).
Staff - so accommodating
Staff - intelligent, funny and conversational ( not cold and stand-off-ish)
Rooms - huge, updated, modern, contemporary
Beds - so comfy
Location - Location -Location

Affinia - the PERFECT New York hotel!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, we had 3 in total. And I also looked around a few others (just asked) If...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
It gives me great pride and pleasure to know that we exceeded your expectations. I’m very happy to hear that you found our newly renovated rooms quiet, comfortable and convenient. It is great to hear you are a loyal Affinia guest, as we are a collection of unique hotels, we all share our passion for great, personalized service and fun with our nightly Wine Hours.

Thank you for your kind words on the service provided by our team. Feedback like yours puts a huge smile on the team’s face and encourages us to continue creating more special experiences for our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until your next stay.

Warm regards,

Brian Gehlich

Been to Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!