“Great Location & Value for Midtown NYC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel

You added Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Twice As Nice - Save 22%
Ranked #183 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Midwest
“Great Location & Value for Midtown NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Affinia 50 was a pleasant surprise. I chose this hotel because of the location, value and size. The location (50th & 3rd) is very close to Rockefeller Plaza, the theatres & Grand Central and not too far from Central Park. Numerous dining options very close in all price ranges. The Sunday night stay was very reasonable and made up for the Saturday night atrocious rate. The room was huge and the beds comfortable. The hotel is smaller and more intimate than the huge hotels in NYC. It was quiet and we had a pleasant view from our room - even a peek of the East River. The staff were very pleasant including the front desk, concierge, cleaning staff & bellman. My flight from Detroit was delayed and I didn't arrive until very late. I called the hotel earlier to let them know I would be arriving late and was put on hold several times. I finally got through and the attendant assured me my reservation would be held. I was kind of nervous arriving at 11PM but there was no problem and check in went smoothly. Sometimes at the larger hotels in NYC it takes forever to check in and check out but the Affinia 50 was very efficient. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Booked on-line and had the option of specifying view, quieter etc.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2015
Thank you for the great review of your stay with us.

Thank you for choosing us as your hotel of choice when staying in NYC. It will be our pleasure to make your future stay another memorable one.

Best Regards,

Brian Gehlich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
Alton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

After a disastrous experience elsewhere, the Affinia 50 staff said, "we want to turn your holiday around!" And they did. Welcoming, interested, close to all the main attractions around Times Square and the Rockefeller Centre and Central Park (10 - 15 mins walk), with complementary wine hour and comfortable suites, we had a a ball! They even supplied ear-plugs for the lighter sleeper as New York really is the city that never sleeps.

Room Tip: Go High! The higher you are, the further you are from the traffic.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Youngstown, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Came to the hotel for a weekend trip with my girlfriends and this hotel for sure has pros and cons. We arrived in the city 4 hours before check in and the hotel held our bags until check in which was great because we didn't have to go back to the car when it was time to check in. We got into the room and it was very clean and spacious compared to other hotels I have stayed in on previous trips to the city. We needed some ice for the room and it took about 20 minutes for them to bring up which seemed very long.

The first night went smooth but it wasn't until the second night where all 4 girls went to shower and get ready for a night on the town and there was no hot water. I called the front desk and they said a technician would be right up. Twenty minutes passed and nobody came up. Keep in mind we had dinner reservations that we needed to be ready for. I called back down to the front desk once again and they said that the boiler was broke and the whole building had no hot water. My concern is that I feel nobody would have called back to inform us of this. We all sucked it up and took cold showers since we were hot and sweaty from a day of shopping. The next day we went to showet before our departure and still no hot water. I was not happy with this and upon check out, I explained how unhappy I was about this hot water situation. Thankfully, the woman at the front desk was very nice and adjusted our final bill making it $100 less. I was very annoyed about the situation but at least they compensated for the issue.

Overall, our stay would have been more enjoyable if the water was working but I understand that problems do occur. An added bonus for the hotel is the complimentary wine hour from 5-6 with red and white wine as well as snacks which takes place on the second floor of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Kildare, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here on your honeymoon last Summer. After arriving at 7 am thinking that our room wouldn't be ready until 3 pm we were delighted to find the hotel had our room ready for us which we felt was a lovely touch after an overnight flight.

The hotel is in a great location with a lovely little diner 4 doors down.

Staff were lovely and the rooms were beautiful.

If back in New York we would definitely stay in the Affinia 50 again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2015
Thank you for the wonderful review from your stay with us.

Best Regards,

Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Visitors to Manhattan generally need to scale back their expectations on hotel room size or pay super high room rates. Affinia 50 has large (by NYC standard) rooms at reasonable room rates, as I've found in other Affinia's in NYC. Affinia 50 was recently remodeled, so the rooms are very clean and modern. We booked in the lowest category and there was still a bathtub and small refrigerator - luxuries for New York hotels!

We requested a quiet room and there was still some street noise, but I think that is unavoidable due to the hotel location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Fully completed renovation - never had a chance to see the second floor club suite until this trip and it was really well executed. The hotel has a wine hour (or two) each evening and the space provides a nice little spot to hang out.

The rooms are nice and well done - such a dramatic change post renovation, I like the little guest kitchen next to the registration desk - good sot for a late night snack or drink without the trek to Duane reade or cvs.

The only negative is I like a cold room and I just couldn't get the temperature low enough.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms facing the street (for light) but high up so I can avoid the road noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The delight begins at checkin --- warm smiles, bell staff that genuinely welcomes you, big smiles all around. I felt special from the moment I walked in.

I had booked a king studio, and it was a lovely room .. big kitchen, above average size bathroom (not small like many NYC hotels), and a large spacious bedroom with plenty of room to move around. There is a large work desk for setting up a laptop, and plenty of light and plugs easily accessible. The bed was firm and comfortable, with fine linens. The room had plenty of place to unpack clothes for a week, and a large in-room safe. In-room robes are not provided.

The bathroom was spacious, well provided with towels and amenities. THe shower had good water pressure, and the bathtub was spacious. My only minor complaint was there was black mold starting to grow on the caulking, and the ceiling above the shower/tub. Other than that, the suite was kept scrupulously clean.

One of the best parts is the club on the 2nd floor, where coffee and tea is available 24 hours a day (a nice touch...no need to find a starbucks early in the morning), and a social hour with wine is free for all guests from 5 to 6 pm. Free internet is also available in the club, so it was a nice scene with many guests around. Newspapers are here every day, and plentiful. ANd there's a healthclub with new equipment, bottled water (free), and towels.

I would come back here in a moment! Warm and gracious service, large spacious rooms, and great amenities.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
EricNilson, thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you found our team to be attentive, genuine, and engaging. Thank you for your descriptive comments about our newly renovated rooms, fitness center as well as our wonderful and vibrant Wine Hour. We are humbled by your commitment to return to the Affinia 50 and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future!

Brian Gehlich

Been to Fifty NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!