“Nice hotel, small hiccups” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Now & Save!
Ranked #74 of 452 hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice hotel, small hiccups”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

While aesthetically the hotel is a gem, there were some tiny hiccups with my stay. I stayed 4/29-4/30.

Overall, everything is sparkly and new. From the carpets to the desk, it's all an A+. The room are small, but typically small for an NYC hotel. The location is great - wedged between Central Park and Times Sq. Staff is very friendly.

I was upgraded to a king bed with a Times Sq. view - the beds are comfy and the TVs are massive.

However, they turned the AC off at night. After waking up sweating and checking the thermostat, it said 75 in the room, but was to 65. I let the front desk know and they told me they turned off the AC because it was "cold" outside. Assuming this is to keep costs down, I would advise them not to do that. Both of my night stays were incredibly uncomfortable - especially the second.

The front desk said they'd have my thermostat checked just to be safe, but what they ended up doing was opening the windows and closing the shade. So, all night I couldn't understand why it was SO LOUD in my room, until I opened the shade in the morning. I got no sleep.

Tip to hotel: People like to sleep in cool temperatures - DON'T TURN THE AC OFF.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Meg070, thank you for your detailed review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the tasteful decor of the hotel, inspired by the 1920's Hollywood Glamour; from the lobby to the guest rooms. Thank you for for highlighting the inviting gesture extended by the Front Office Team in providing you with a complimentary upgrade to one of our WestHouse Times Square King rooms. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and over-sized televisions.

I do however regret the negative elements you experienced during your stay. I would like to personally apologize for the discomfort regarding the HVAC system. Our guest's comfort is paramount to us, and I am very sorry that you did not receive a restful sleep. We have since addressed this issue with our Engineering Team, and have fully enabled the cooling feature of the HVAC system.

Thank you again for choosing WestHouse for this visit to the city. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to restore your faith in our product and service.

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

i have chossen the WestHouse on location and the promise for a small boutique hotel. location is good. thats it. its at best a 3 star hotel. to his credit, staff are great (in most cases). arrival on monday lunch time and my corporate credit cards details are off the system, why ? no reason, after a bit of a struggle and before i hand over my personal card to be charged $2500 they found the corporate card details, and then the room that cost $425 per night is actually very small, even for a big city small boutique hotel, view is to your neighbor bedroom/bathroom. bathroom and bedroom finishes are at best mediocre. breakfast reminds me a kibbutz. small space, many people try to grab some food, lots of kids running around. all in all would have been a great Disney resort hotel. i understand it's new - 6 month old. but i have no confidence it will ever be a player in the NYC market.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view. ask about the size. do not compromise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
yossi99556, thank you for your comprehensive review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our convenient Midtown location. I regret to hear of the negative elements you experienced whilst staying with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the the delay at check-in due to the confusion surrounding the third party billing of your reservation. We strive to provide a seamless and efficient check-in process for all of our guests, and I would like to apologize for not being able to accommodate you with such. I am however pleased to hear that were able to rectify the issue prior to you placing your personal card information on the reservation.

I would like to reassure you that we are committed to remedying the discomforts experienced at times with the enjoyment of our food & beverage offerings in the Den. We are currently awaiting the opening of the soon to be completed Terrace which will certainly alleviate the confined space of the Den.

I am also very sorry that our room product did not meet your expectations. I dope hope that you will provide us another opportunity to restore your faith in our service and product. I will be more than happy to assist you with confirming a larger accommodation better suited to your needs. Please feel free to contact me directly at kkeskin@westhousehotelnewyork.com.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great possibilities here, but they aren't full service yet. But, they are charging premium rates. The restaurant was supposed to be ready by Spring, 2014 but, as of mid-April it wasn't. The $30 per person "residence fee" could be worth it if you stayed one or two nights, but we stayed five. The daily "breakfast" was minimal and the same daily, so we didn't go there every day. It's nice to have the complimentary wine and beer, but no drinks available. All this is on the main floor and the rooms start on the 22nd and the elevators are inconsistent, and no mini-bar or coffee in the room, so it's a hassle having a morning coffee or evening drink in your room. The daily turn-down service was hit-or-miss. All the staff we met were fantastic---very enthusiastic about their jobs and treated customers politely. The biggest problem was no air conditioning. No luxury hotel should be telling customers that the building hasn't turned on the A/C for the season. Why should that even matter to a guest? A luxury hotel room should have the capability of controlling the temperature, not having it be 78 degrees and be told to open the windows and here's a little fan---that should help. Nice, nice people, but the hotel should not be charging full fare until guest can have their money's worth. It kinda of seemed that this hotel is a training ground for new employees in the hotel business. It's very polite, but not very efficient.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
cookmore, thank you for your detailed review! I would first like to personally apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I am very sorry to learn of your displeasure with our Food & Beverage offerings. As we are awaiting the near completion of our Terrace located on the 23rd floor, some of our selections are limited. Once the Terrace is open, we will introduce our signature cocktail list with beverages curated just for WestHouse. In the interim, guests can enjoy house wines, sparkling wines, and local beers on tap.

I would also like to apologize for the discomfort you experienced with the temperature of the room. I have addressed this pressing issue with our Engineering Team, and am happy to report that we have since fully activated the cooling feature of our HVAC system.

Lastly, I would like to thank you for sharing such warm and pleasant comments regarding our team and the friendly service they provided you. I do hope that you will provide us the opportunity of welcoming you back to experience our product and service once the Terrace is open. Thank you again for choosing WestHouse as your house away from home for this visit.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

First off this was a great hotel to stay in NYC!

1.Upon arriving very early at 930 am I did not think we would be able to check in so soon. The concierge told us he would try to get us in as soon as possible and suggested we enjoy the continental breakfast in the lounge which is part of the resort fee until our room was ready. By 11am he came over to tell us it was ready and I was very happy after doing a red eye flight and most hotels don't check you in until 3pm.

2. I know alot of reviews complained bout the 30 dollar resort fee. and when i booked that was my dilemma as well. So i basically Added my resort fee into my calculations when booking my trip to compare prices. It really isn't that bad as people say if u like to drink anyways and why not have a light bite for breakfast in the lobby before stepping out. I know when I'm on vacation sometimes we are so busy doing activities and planning our day it's nice to just grab a light bite in the lobby so you have something in your stomach instead of goin to find a place to eat before you can start your day. My bf doesn't take nearly as long as I do to get ready so he goes down first n has a light bite while waiting for me. Which is nice because other vacations he's telling me to hurry to go eat... Or if one of us is still sleeping least the other can go on their computer In lobby and have a drink or snack. It was also great in the evening when you are killing time before your dinner reservations and waited in lobby and had a cpl drinks. Lets face it some hotels charge 12 dollars or so for a drink. I only like to stay at 5star hotels so this to me wasn't bad at all,I thought it was worth.
*some of the other reviews I read. People complained bout the plates left on tables after people ate and no one cleaned. On the staffs defense I saw them constantly picking up plates and cleaning they try their best but people eat and leave and before u know it someone else grabs those seats before they get a chance to clean. So yes it's hard to manage . Maybe they need to have a trolley or table for the guest to put dirty dishes I think this will help.*

3. This was also my 30th birthday trip so the concierge really helped my bf book a nice restaurant for us and helped him get show tickets. The staff in the lobby was awesome I have no complaints

4. My only complaints are the room cleaning service didn't par up to the rest of hotel like lobby and service downstairs. We stayed for 6 nights and left a 5 dollar tip everyday for the cleaners . When my body wash ran out it was never replaced or refilled. I've stayed at other hotels where they would just put a new bottle there for you even if you did not use up all of the old one. Room service was just mediocre to me. And I was very disappointed in the air conditioning situation. I would probably call the hotel next time before to see if the problem is resolved because I could not sleep very well at night. I thought it would pass after the first few nights. By the 5th night I realized it was the air conditioning.

5. Location is great! Few blocks to walk to the high end designer shops, few blocks to Central Park and few blocks to time square! I loved the location it's absolutely perfect. Subway is also right outside the hotel

*highlights of hotel- location,the great staff in lobby, concierge, bell guys, very polite and willing to help, beautiful lobby, clean n comfortable room.*

*If this hotel tweaks the room service cleaning. fix the airconditioning properly, so you aren't roasting when you sleep
at night. I would stay here every
time!!! *

I hope my review helps!

P-Dang

• Stayed April 2014
Pamiruru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

How could I have chosen a better place to stay - right between Broadway and 7th avenue? This has excellent access to the subway and is within walking distance to Time Square, Central Park and is across the street from Carnegie Hall. We enjoyed our 4 day stay and took advantage of the City Pass with hop on hop off to all the sights around the city. This hotel charges an extra $30 per day and includes a continental breakfast, tea and evening snacks with drinks (alchohol) included. There is no parking garage if you are driving so that could be a problem. The rooms were nice, average sized with the usual conveniences. No mini bar but a small frig and bottled water was included each day in your stay. The beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows. After a full day of walking, it was perfect for a good nights sleep. Our room, on the 22nd fl, was quiet other than some construction noise on the 23rd floor in the mornings. They are still in the process of building a lounge so at present everyone waits for seats in The Den to enjoy the complimentary ($30 charge per day) food and beverages. We had no problem finding seats but we were only 2. Some liked hanging out at the bar for long extended periods which made ordering drinks inconvenient, shouting over the loud conversation or finding a spot to stand. One bartender seems more interested in the local bar conversations than serving. When I asked for a glass of wine, before I could specify the type he had poured me whatever was left in a bottle (didn't like that). But overall I would say it was an excellent experience and once the new lounge is in full swing, I'm sure some of these issues will go away. I hope to return. The bellman was excellent, got me a taxi several times and also check in was exceptional - very friendly.

Room Tip: If construction is still underway, do not stay on the 22nd floor. Our room was very quiet other tha...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Pamiruru, thank you so much for fabulously detailed review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our convenient Midtown location and the tasteful decor of our rooms in addition to our food & beverage offerings included under the Resident Fee. I would like to personally apologize for any discomforts you experienced due to the construction noise whilst you were staying with us. I have since addressed this matter with our business partner to ensure our guests are not being inconvenienced.

Thank you for also highlighting the exceptional service extended to you by the Bellmen. I will be sure to share your sentiments with them. We too are looking forward to the completion of the Terrace and do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and experience it first-hand. Thank you again for choosing WestHouse as your house away from home.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Minor issues with room service but I would have to give this hotel a big thumb up for the excellent staff service. We can see there are minor things such as forgot the bathroom rug one night or no staff at the front when we pulled our car back for the valet parking late at night. But overall the staffs are very friendly and professional. Rooms are clean and bed sheets are soft and clean. Great location!! Close to the sight seeing bus stop, Central Park, fifth avenue, The rock, time square, and on a quit street. Would definitely come back for a visit in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Christine T, we are thrilled to hear that your stay was exceptional! Thank for your fantastic comments about our convenient midtown location and comfortable bedding. We are most humbled by your warm sentiments regarding our "excellent, friendly, and professional" team! I would like to personally apologize for the minor disruption you experienced with regard to our room service partners. I thank you for this valued feedback which we will certainly use to ensure this issue does not reoccur. We thank you for your new found loyalty in WestHouse and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Rosemead, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Super clean, heavenly bed, great staff, great location, I love everything about this hotel. They do charge $30 per person per night for fees but you get free drinks and other stuff but I didn't take advantage of any freebies and I loved it so much, I didn't care about $30 extra.

• Stayed April 2014
Tinamadison7, thank you for your fabulous review! We are so thrilled to receive such wonderful comments about our cleanliness, heavenly beds, convenient location, and attentive team members. It is also rewarding to hear of your enjoyment with regard to the inclusions provided under the Resident Fee. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us for this visit to the city. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Karla Keskin

Been to WestHouse Hotel New York? Share your experiences!