“Not quite ready yet” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Not quite ready yet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great possibilities here, but they aren't full service yet. But, they are charging premium rates. The restaurant was supposed to be ready by Spring, 2014 but, as of mid-April it wasn't. The $30 per person "residence fee" could be worth it if you stayed one or two nights, but we stayed five. The daily "breakfast" was minimal and the same daily, so we didn't go there every day. It's nice to have the complimentary wine and beer, but no drinks available. All this is on the main floor and the rooms start on the 22nd and the elevators are inconsistent, and no mini-bar or coffee in the room, so it's a hassle having a morning coffee or evening drink in your room. The daily turn-down service was hit-or-miss. All the staff we met were fantastic---very enthusiastic about their jobs and treated customers politely. The biggest problem was no air conditioning. No luxury hotel should be telling customers that the building hasn't turned on the A/C for the season. Why should that even matter to a guest? A luxury hotel room should have the capability of controlling the temperature, not having it be 78 degrees and be told to open the windows and here's a little fan---that should help. Nice, nice people, but the hotel should not be charging full fare until guest can have their money's worth. It kinda of seemed that this hotel is a training ground for new employees in the hotel business. It's very polite, but not very efficient.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
cookmore, thank you for your detailed review! I would first like to personally apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I am very sorry to learn of your displeasure with our Food & Beverage offerings. As we are awaiting the near completion of our Terrace located on the 23rd floor, some of our selections are limited. Once the Terrace is open, we will introduce our signature cocktail list with beverages curated just for WestHouse. In the interim, guests can enjoy house wines, sparkling wines, and local beers on tap.

I would also like to apologize for the discomfort you experienced with the temperature of the room. I have addressed this pressing issue with our Engineering Team, and am happy to report that we have since fully activated the cooling feature of our HVAC system.

Lastly, I would like to thank you for sharing such warm and pleasant comments regarding our team and the friendly service they provided you. I do hope that you will provide us the opportunity of welcoming you back to experience our product and service once the Terrace is open. Thank you again for choosing WestHouse as your house away from home for this visit.

Karla Keskin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

First off this was a great hotel to stay in NYC!

1.Upon arriving very early at 930 am I did not think we would be able to check in so soon. The concierge told us he would try to get us in as soon as possible and suggested we enjoy the continental breakfast in the lounge which is part of the resort fee until our room was ready. By 11am he came over to tell us it was ready and I was very happy after doing a red eye flight and most hotels don't check you in until 3pm.

2. I know alot of reviews complained bout the 30 dollar resort fee. and when i booked that was my dilemma as well. So i basically Added my resort fee into my calculations when booking my trip to compare prices. It really isn't that bad as people say if u like to drink anyways and why not have a light bite for breakfast in the lobby before stepping out. I know when I'm on vacation sometimes we are so busy doing activities and planning our day it's nice to just grab a light bite in the lobby so you have something in your stomach instead of goin to find a place to eat before you can start your day. My bf doesn't take nearly as long as I do to get ready so he goes down first n has a light bite while waiting for me. Which is nice because other vacations he's telling me to hurry to go eat... Or if one of us is still sleeping least the other can go on their computer In lobby and have a drink or snack. It was also great in the evening when you are killing time before your dinner reservations and waited in lobby and had a cpl drinks. Lets face it some hotels charge 12 dollars or so for a drink. I only like to stay at 5star hotels so this to me wasn't bad at all,I thought it was worth.
*some of the other reviews I read. People complained bout the plates left on tables after people ate and no one cleaned. On the staffs defense I saw them constantly picking up plates and cleaning they try their best but people eat and leave and before u know it someone else grabs those seats before they get a chance to clean. So yes it's hard to manage . Maybe they need to have a trolley or table for the guest to put dirty dishes I think this will help.*

3. This was also my 30th birthday trip so the concierge really helped my bf book a nice restaurant for us and helped him get show tickets. The staff in the lobby was awesome I have no complaints

4. My only complaints are the room cleaning service didn't par up to the rest of hotel like lobby and service downstairs. We stayed for 6 nights and left a 5 dollar tip everyday for the cleaners . When my body wash ran out it was never replaced or refilled. I've stayed at other hotels where they would just put a new bottle there for you even if you did not use up all of the old one. Room service was just mediocre to me. And I was very disappointed in the air conditioning situation. I would probably call the hotel next time before to see if the problem is resolved because I could not sleep very well at night. I thought it would pass after the first few nights. By the 5th night I realized it was the air conditioning.

5. Location is great! Few blocks to walk to the high end designer shops, few blocks to Central Park and few blocks to time square! I loved the location it's absolutely perfect. Subway is also right outside the hotel

*highlights of hotel- location,the great staff in lobby, concierge, bell guys, very polite and willing to help, beautiful lobby, clean n comfortable room.*

*If this hotel tweaks the room service cleaning. fix the airconditioning properly, so you aren't roasting when you sleep
at night. I would stay here every
time!!! *

I hope my review helps!

P-Dang

• Stayed April 2014
Pamiruru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

How could I have chosen a better place to stay - right between Broadway and 7th avenue? This has excellent access to the subway and is within walking distance to Time Square, Central Park and is across the street from Carnegie Hall. We enjoyed our 4 day stay and took advantage of the City Pass with hop on hop off to all the sights around the city. This hotel charges an extra $30 per day and includes a continental breakfast, tea and evening snacks with drinks (alchohol) included. There is no parking garage if you are driving so that could be a problem. The rooms were nice, average sized with the usual conveniences. No mini bar but a small frig and bottled water was included each day in your stay. The beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows. After a full day of walking, it was perfect for a good nights sleep. Our room, on the 22nd fl, was quiet other than some construction noise on the 23rd floor in the mornings. They are still in the process of building a lounge so at present everyone waits for seats in The Den to enjoy the complimentary ($30 charge per day) food and beverages. We had no problem finding seats but we were only 2. Some liked hanging out at the bar for long extended periods which made ordering drinks inconvenient, shouting over the loud conversation or finding a spot to stand. One bartender seems more interested in the local bar conversations than serving. When I asked for a glass of wine, before I could specify the type he had poured me whatever was left in a bottle (didn't like that). But overall I would say it was an excellent experience and once the new lounge is in full swing, I'm sure some of these issues will go away. I hope to return. The bellman was excellent, got me a taxi several times and also check in was exceptional - very friendly.

Room Tip: If construction is still underway, do not stay on the 22nd floor. Our room was very quiet other tha...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Pamiruru, thank you so much for fabulously detailed review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our convenient Midtown location and the tasteful decor of our rooms in addition to our food & beverage offerings included under the Resident Fee. I would like to personally apologize for any discomforts you experienced due to the construction noise whilst you were staying with us. I have since addressed this matter with our business partner to ensure our guests are not being inconvenienced.

Thank you for also highlighting the exceptional service extended to you by the Bellmen. I will be sure to share your sentiments with them. We too are looking forward to the completion of the Terrace and do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and experience it first-hand. Thank you again for choosing WestHouse as your house away from home.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Minor issues with room service but I would have to give this hotel a big thumb up for the excellent staff service. We can see there are minor things such as forgot the bathroom rug one night or no staff at the front when we pulled our car back for the valet parking late at night. But overall the staffs are very friendly and professional. Rooms are clean and bed sheets are soft and clean. Great location!! Close to the sight seeing bus stop, Central Park, fifth avenue, The rock, time square, and on a quit street. Would definitely come back for a visit in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Christine T, we are thrilled to hear that your stay was exceptional! Thank for your fantastic comments about our convenient midtown location and comfortable bedding. We are most humbled by your warm sentiments regarding our "excellent, friendly, and professional" team! I would like to personally apologize for the minor disruption you experienced with regard to our room service partners. I thank you for this valued feedback which we will certainly use to ensure this issue does not reoccur. We thank you for your new found loyalty in WestHouse and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Rosemead, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Super clean, heavenly bed, great staff, great location, I love everything about this hotel. They do charge $30 per person per night for fees but you get free drinks and other stuff but I didn't take advantage of any freebies and I loved it so much, I didn't care about $30 extra.

• Stayed April 2014
Tinamadison7, thank you for your fabulous review! We are so thrilled to receive such wonderful comments about our cleanliness, heavenly beds, convenient location, and attentive team members. It is also rewarding to hear of your enjoyment with regard to the inclusions provided under the Resident Fee. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us for this visit to the city. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I really enjoyed the location, excellent service with all staff members (seriously rare among other hotels I have visited), and the whole place is super classy. It wasn't noisy at all and I enjoyed sleeping on the comfortable mattress.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Candice S, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, in addition to the exceptional service provided to you by our team members. I am also happy to hear that you received a restful sleep on our comfortable bedding. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The staff seeks to make you feel like this is your home and they succeed in making you want to return again and again, which we have done. The rooms are in a section of an older hotel and have recently been refurbished. If you want to find a negative, it is difficult. However, some rooms have minimal closet space and the bathrooms, while containing every amenity, are very snug.There is an additional residence fee and that covers a continental breakfast, wine, beer (apparently at any time of day), and snacks varying by time of day.

Room Tip: suites are far better than the rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
gsrs, thank you for your fantastic review! I am so thrilled to hear that our concept has truly resonated with you! At WestHouse we strive to offer an unrivaled service experience, delivering on our mission of treating each guest as if our only guest. It is so rewarding to hear that this feeling was captured in your stay and that our team truly made you feel at home. Thank you for also sharing your feedback regarding the size of your room. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and I am more than happy to personally assist you with reserving larger accommodations better suited to your needs. Please feel free to contact directly at kkeskin@westhousehotelnewyork.com.

Karla Keskin

Been to WestHouse Hotel New York? Share your experiences!